Bricked Droid, worth getting?

Trustno1

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been lurking on the forums for a while now, but seeing as I don't have an android phone, haven't really posted.

I am considering trading my storm 1 for an HTC ozone and a moto Droid that won't boot. The guy says he has just tried to do factory reset but that hasn't worked. From what I have read, it seems like there are few options to try and get the thing working. My questions are: What's the success rate for de-bricking? Do you guys have any tips? Do you guys think it would be worth trading. I am currently using a Storm 2 so its not like I will be stuck without a phone, I just want to make sure I am not screwing myself over.

Thoughts?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
As long as you can get in the bootloader (up on the dpad and power with the phone off) then it probably isn't bricked.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If you are a tech-savy person, and want to give it a try, I would go for it. But keep in mind that you may end up with an HTC ozone and a paper weight.

Also meet the guy at VZW and make them check the ESN to make sure it is free and clear and not black listed. If it is black listed you will never get it to work.

Trustno1

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I consider myself reasonably savy and pretty stubborn when it comes to fixing stuff so hopefully I will get lucky. I am just excited that I might be able to get rid of this berry and finally a droid

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Get a battery charger take the trade and download the sbf if you have a windows machine your golden d1s are very easy to recover. But do meet him at vzw to make sure the esn is clear. Look up rootzwiki.com they have great post on how to root flash sbf etc.i haven't heard of a d1 unable to get into the bootloader

jacobydarkon

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm no expert, but reading other forums about "bricked" droids has led me to one conclusion: It is almost impossible to brick a Motorola Droid. I've read horror stories about people getting stuck in boot loops or reboot loops, and coming out of it just fine. In fact, I got stock in a reboot loop because of a1.25 ghz kernel that my phone didn't like. I loaded a1.2 ghz kernel and everything was fine. If the esn is clean, then you have got yourself a new Droid.

Just as a side note, I specifically mentioned the Motorola Droid as I do not know about other Android enabled and smart phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Trustno1

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I might be out of luck. I was supposed to meet up with the guy last night and get the ESNs checked but he never got back to me. I am suspecting he flaked out. Nobody wants any of my 3 BB's lol. I will keep you guys updated if I hear from him.

pegb856

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
List your BBs on ebay. Do a bit of price research on the devices with current, near ending auctions in same condition and extras. Once you find the average selling price or average "buy it now" prices list yours with a Buy It Now auction for a 3 day term. Price it just under the average selling price, factor shipping into the price. I usually sell my phones like this in less than 12 hours. Buyers always like free shipping. Also take good pics showing all of the accessories, if you have any screen protectors or body skins on the device tell buyers about it in a listing, this tells them you took care of your device. Always give thorough details, buyers eat it up. Also be very prompt with answering any questions lookers may have thru ebays messages.

Just a few pointers. Good Luck finding a Droid.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

These are just guidelines and I always have better luck with ebay than with Craigslist, and sell for higher prices.

Trustno1

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
No worries for the threadjack :). Turns out someone responded to my craigslist post and traded my S2 for his moto droid. I cannot begin to describe the difference. I am glad to finally have a droid!

bananaslug613

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you are a tech-savy person, and want to give it a try, I would go for it. But keep in mind that you may end up with an HTC ozone and a paper weight.

Also meet the guy at VZW and make them check the ESN to make sure it is free and clear and not black listed. If it is black listed you will never get it to work.

X 2!

They have to give away those Ozones just to clear up their inventory.

Trustno1

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have turned into a complete droidophile. I have gone through countless roms and kernels and I am still not satisfied. I am making an awesome 3d boot animation and am currently using the MIUI rom. My year old droid is better than the newest blackberry. droid really does.

loooney2ns

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Glad you made the move and are enjoying it. I still have my S1 in my drawer collecting dust, along with my Pearl. I would love to add a Dinc or a DX to my D1. I have an upgrade coming, but I'm waiting for LTE. Until then, unless I get a trade for something else I'm sticking with my Droid!

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
My year old droid is better than the newest blackberry. droid really does.

Ain't that the truth! Blackberry as a whole just get in the way, but IMO their software is lacking. Never had a phone that will let me actually be productive and at the same time offer pretty much endless possibilities for user customization. It's just a fun phone period. Glad you're enjoying your Droid. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC