Folder hiding for pictures like the black berry does?

splatf22

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I tryied the storm before I bought my Droid and one of the features that I miss the most was the ability to hide certain picture folders from the picture viewing programs on the phone. I was wondering if there was something I was missing that can do that on the Droid?. I use the search function on this forum but nothing came up. I have a folder of sensitive pics that i want to hide from the general public but want them on my phone. The Gallery grabs every thing and I don't want it all the time grabing every thing on my chip or phone.

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Get the free file manager app called "astro".
Mount your droid to your PC, creat a folder and name it whatever you want, and copy your "sensitive photos" over to it. Unmount and open Astro file manager, locate the folder you created on there and rename it by simply adding a period in front of the name.

Example folder "HiddenPics" should be renamed ".HiddenPics"

The only downside (not really that bad) is that to access that folder, you have go to it in the Astro app. or through your PC when mounted. It's easy, and you can send from there and view your photos as well.

Last edited:

splatf22

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Mount your droid to your PC, creat a folder and name it whatever you want, and copy your "sensitive photos" over to it. Unmount and open Astro file manager, locate the folder you created on there and rename it by simply adding a period in front of the name.

The only downside (not really that bad) is that to access that folder, you have go to it in the Astro app. or through your PC when mounted. It's easy, and you can send from there and view your photos as well.

Thanks that works perfectally.

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
No problem, it's one of the first things I had to find once I transferred everything over from my Blackberry. Now I don't worry about handing my phone over to anyone to check out, haha.

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
First day I got mine, my boss came over to check it out. The company phones are iPhones, and we're switching because of drop call issues, and the bossman wants a physical keyboard. He didn't like the storm, but loves the droid, mainly for the keboard. I told him it's not the best but easy to get used to, but he said, "Yeah, but at least it has one". After trying it out, he said he liked the keyboard. Luckily didn't wander too much into the media features of the phone, to the galleries. I looked up the fix 2 minutes after he was done messing with the phone.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
No password protection available? Just hiding the folder isn't adequate, esp. when you post how to do it! In Palm land, we used mEncryptor to encrypt the card, where we could store whatever we wanted, safely.

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
No password protection available? Just hiding the folder isn't adequate, esp. when you post how to do it! In Palm land, we used mEncryptor to encrypt the card, where we could store whatever we wanted, safely.

Yeah, there's some password apps. You might be able to password protect it in Astro, I don't know (I'll look into it). It's tough enough to find the folder in the file manager anyway, if you give it a clever name especially.

splatf22

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the folder in some other folders with a name that looks like a system name so I am not realy worried specially now that gallery cant pull it up

scott4nola

May 24, 2010
Visit site

How do you rename the folder? I moved everything in a folder called hiddenpics but I see no option in Astro to rename the folder and my computer will not let me put a . in front of the name. Thanks for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463