If I reset Droid to factory settings, will I have to activate my phone# again?

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but after the last couple of days when I lost access to all my google accounts under my gmail account for no reason (Google disabled the account...why, I have no idea and they're not helping), I want use an alternative google account that I still, THANKFULLY, have.

I am so muddled by the run around I've been going through with Google that I can't think rationally anymore. :eek:

In order to eliminate the old google account on the phone (and get rid of all the error notifications), it says that I have to do a factory reset. I don't want to do that if I'm going to lose total phone function. If it makes a difference about the possibility of needing to verify and activate my number again, my number was ported and Verizon is still showing the assigned phone number on my online account, not my ported number.

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
This may sound like a stupid question, but after the last couple of days when I lost access to all my google accounts under my gmail account for no reason (Google disabled the account...why, I have no idea and they're not helping), I want use an alternative google account that I still, THANKFULLY, have.

I am so muddled by the run around I've been going through with Google that I can't think rationally anymore. :eek:

In order to eliminate the old google account on the phone (and get rid of all the error notifications), it says that I have to do a factory reset. I don't want to do that if I'm going to lose total phone function. If it makes a difference about the possibility of needing to verify and activate my number again, my number was ported and Verizon is still showing the assigned phone number on my online account, not my ported number.

Google deactivates email accounts IF for some reason there has been an attempt to log on for more than 6 times unsuccessfully.
That said , it is very easy to redo the activation...........after you wipe the device clean, juts follow the prompt on the screen, >>>ten digit number>>>>last four SSN of account holder and you are good to go.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Google deactivates email accounts IF for some reason there has been an attempt to log on for more than 6 times unsuccessfully.
That said , it is very easy to redo the activation...........after you wipe the device clean, juts follow the prompt on the screen, >>>ten digit number>>>>last four SSN of account holder and you are good to go.

I didn't attempt an unsuccessful log in on my google account though. It was very weird. All day I was logged into Google Finance on the computer and even my phone was was receiving Gmail notifications. Then at some point, my phone showed an error notification and prompted me to log into my Gmail account. It would not accept my password. I then went on the computer to go to my Gmail assuming that if I was in Google Finance and iGoogle that I'd head right in. All the password stuff is stored on Firefox, so it automatically fills in the name and password correctly. Instead I got a "This account has been disabled" and a new thing I've never seen. It said it could send a code to my phone to reactivate, but it never did. I tried several times. Then I followed all sort of links for help and contact and contacted them several times in the "I believe my account was disabled by accident section" where you give them an alternative email to contact you about this. NO RESPONSE.

Anyway, I had another thought. What if I added my new Google account on the Droid and then deleted the old one. Do you think I would still need to do a factory reset? I'm really worried that I'll type in my ported number and because it doesn't match the account phone number that Verizon assigned, I'll be in even deeper doo-doo.

R

Roy Aguilera

You can add it but will need to factory reset in order to delete the old one.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks DA6. I'm going to do that for the time being, although my first attempt to add the new account was unsuccessful. LOL It didn't recognize my password AGAIN. I'm hoping I just misspelled or something. To be sure I changed my password for the account on the computer so I KNOW FOR A FACT that it should work. If it doesn't, I'd have to believe that there is clearly something wrong with my phone.

Stay tuned. :D

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Whew! Second account added. I'm am reconnected to the matrix again! YES! I'm going to stop by the Verizon store tomorrow and redeem some gift cards and while I'm there, I'll do the factory reset in case something screws up.

Is there some sort of password remember in the Droid? That would certainly eliminate the possibility of failed log in attempts. At this point, I have to wonder if somehow between the failed Droid attempts to log in wherein I wasn't seeing the same message I see when I attempt to log in on the computer that I hit that magic number of 6 referenced above.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, first post here... a real newbie... I have a htc Desire that I inherited from my cousin, he has his old gmail account and old phone number that is disconnected...

I simply use the phone as a computer with WiFi and that is really fine with me, everything works, Skype, and all apps...

So if I were to Hard Reset, I would need his SSN#? and Old number in hand? Or would the phone work as it is without being "hooked" up to a phone carrier and "owner"...?

What else do I need before I do the reset? I'll be sure to make a list of all my apps & customizations...

if it is too much trouble, I would simply prefer leaving it as it is, I already have my gmail set up and his gmail is not syncing anymore...

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, first post here... a real newbie... I have a htc Desire that I inherited from my cousin, he has his old gmail account and old phone number that is disconnected...

I simply use the phone as a computer with WiFi and that is really fine with me, everything works, Skype, and all apps...

So if I were to Hard Reset, I would need his SSN#? and Old number in hand? Or would the phone work as it is without being "hooked" up to a phone carrier and "owner"...?

What else do I need before I do the reset? I'll be sure to make a list of all my apps & customizations...

if it is too much trouble, I would simply prefer leaving it as it is, I already have my gmail set up and his gmail is not syncing anymore...
You would only need his number and account password/ssn if you wanted to reactivate the phone on his account with a cellular provider.

If you are just using it as a mini WiFi tablet, you don't need that info. You can factory reset the device. Add your Gmail account so you have Market access, and you're good to go. You can skip the portion on activating the phone with a cellular service provider.

kandrelly

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Re: If I reset Droid to factory settings, will I have to activate

Hello, I am trying to use my old droid x, but after I did a factory data reset, it wont' let me past the activation screen. How can I use my old phone as wifi only, when it won't let me past the activation screen?

JimmyShakya

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You would only need his number and account password/ssn if you wanted to reactivate the phone on his account with a cellular provider.

If you are just using it as a mini WiFi tablet, you don't need that info. You can factory reset the device. Add your Gmail account so you have Market access, and you're good to go. You can skip the portion on activating the phone with a cellular service provider.

Thanks for the Post. i am have same problem as *kandrelly* Mentioned. I have reset Droid 2 to factory settings successfully but now it says “Activate your Phone” & “A special call needs to be made to activate your phone service” since i have Quit the phone provider and i am outside US . i just intent to use it on wifi + as ipod.
Please Guide me how can i use or open it.Thanks in Advance !
Droid 2 Motorola

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2