Any way to fix this? (onscreen keyboard and colon symbol)

dima1109

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I love Droid's hardware keyboard (yes, we exist), but sometimes a quick message is more convenient to type using the onscreen keyboard. I keep running into an annoying little quirk while doing that: I use ASCII smiley faces a whole lot, and whenever I would type *word* *space* *colon* to do a ":)" smile, it would place the colon before the space next to the word, which forces me to backspace and retype it (it works on the second try). In other words, if I were to type "Ok :)", I would press OK-space-:), but the text in the field comes out as "Ok: )". It makes sense to have it like this from punctuational/grammatical point of view, as you would always place a colon adjacent to the word preceding it. But I never really use colon for anything other than a smiley face, and it gets annoying to have to type space-colon-backspace-backspace-colon-parenthesis. I also prefer using ":)" instead of ":)" (for no particular reason, but I'm too used to it). So, is there any way to do have the onscreen keyboard stop doing that without resorting to the use of third-party keyboard apps?

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I just type OK-space-space-colon-parenthesis... it'll automatically add a period, but it won't suck the colon back a space... I've ran across this understandable annoyance as well :)

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I also just run 2 spaces. The berry used to mess with emoticons if you swingle spaced on occasion too...I think it's just a situation where the phone thiks it's trying to help, and isn't.