Droid# 4 here we go...

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Well I went in to get droid # 4 this morning.

The first one was swapped out because the screen was on a black screen after phone calls and taking a battery pull to fix every time.

#2 Was calling random people at night and reboot loops like crazy

#3 I thought this phone was perfect! Had the raised keyboard, tighter screen and everything worked like a charm. Yesterday at about 2pm as I was reading about the OTA update..... Camera starts opening at random and back key suddenly stops working all together.
I immediately start uninstalling apps that I had installed that day.. No luck.
Battery pull, no luck. Hard reset( factory reset) after backing all files up.. No luck, still was opening the camera every 2 seconds. I took it in to the store and five people tried to fix it.

Now I have a new phone, Its working great but is the older build with the flat keyboard and a little looser screen. If it works, Ill be happy. I love this phone and want it to work but I'm having BAD luck so far. If this one fails, I'm going to get the Eris I think.
Cant wait for the update either. I want the camera to work and the battery to last longer. Now come on Facebook!!!!

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow, bad luck! I heard that the keyboards are all flat, just some take shape over use (because of the thin waferboard). Maybe you had been getting refurb's??

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
No they were all new... The 3rd one was of the most recent build date. The keyboard almost touched the screen when it was closed and was definitely raised. Not to the point where you could feel each key bumpy style. But it was lifted just a little bit. We held them up next to each other and all of the employees were scratching their heads... The screen was tighter on it as well... No wiggle at all, where as the first two and my new one have some play in them.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The first you swapped.. were you using speakerphone when the screen went black?

Reboot loops are usually caused by third party software. Perhaps a task manager.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
The first you swapped.. were you using speakerphone when the screen went black?

Reboot loops are usually caused by third party software. Perhaps a task manager.

No man.. not on speaker phone, actually I have not had any issues with speakerphone, it times out but can be brought back via the on off button.
IDK what was causing it but if it was an app, it would have stopped after a factory reset... At least I think it would have...
BTW; the camera issue started shortly after a installed Google goggles.(probably had nothing to do with it but still) also was strange that on one of the reboots it came up in safe mode... I may have had a virus but i ran 3 different virus scanners on it and came back clean.. Even hooked it to the PC and scanned it..

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
That is amazing, you're the first person I've heard of having multiple failures on more that two phones.

Please do us all a favor and whenever you fly let us know what flight you'll be on. I know that I sure don't want to be on any flight with you LOL :)

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
That is amazing, you're the first person I've heard of having multiple failures on more that two phones.

Please do us all a favor and whenever you fly let us know what flight you'll be on. I know that I sure don't want to be on any flight with you LOL :)

lol... If that's in regards to my screen name.... Its fly guide as in fly fishing.. Funny though.
On the up-side, I'm really good at navigating the device and at restoring all of my settings.. Only took me about an hour this time.. lol

tStorm

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
lol... If that's in regards to my screen name.... Its fly guide as in fly fishing.. Funny though.
On the up-side, I'm really good at navigating the device and at restoring all of my settings.. Only took me about an hour this time.. lol

I think you missed it... read his post again...

hydrogenman#AC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
my rebooting issues were caused by lacking an account feature (I was a convert from Alltel and I still have my Alltel plan!).

It was Call Delivery (I believe that's what she called it)

schmanc

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd droid, myself, so I wouldn't sweat everybody making fun of you. :p

my boyfriend, his brother, and I got droids the first day of launch. My first one kept rebooting, freezing up, and dropping calls. my second would black screen and freeze after 10 minutes of talking, and nothing but a battery pull would fix it.

Finally, on my third one, I got real gun shy about having apps, so I kept it at just about four or five..never sync'd facebook, and lost my lust for going crazying and using the phone all the time. Of course, I didn't have any problems then! ha! but I've slowly started exploring....added back some apps, etc...then facebook opened because I uploaded a pic to my page...ever since, it's been super slow.

I think the facebook app that comes with the phone jacks it up quite frankly! While the bf and the brother have had no problems with their droid, I've had problems with all three, but I realize I'm the only one of us that uses facebook religiously. hmmm?

the text messaging is slow and freezes on all 3 phones. I'm just waiting for the update now to save me with this phone. I don't want to go back to any other phone, cos my eyes are too happy with this screen!

anon(3850)

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I am way more interested in the "New" Keyboard? Is this true and if so How much of a difference is it? Wouldnt mind exchanging mine for one with a tighter screen and better keyboard experience. Please if you have Pics or any detailed info let us/me know...

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I am way more interested in the "New" Keyboard? Is this true and if so How much of a difference is it? Wouldnt mind exchanging mine for one with a tighter screen and better keyboard experience. Please if you have Pics or any detailed info let us/me know...

yes, someone elaborate on the whole "raised keyboard" thing.

TootNBerry

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

No No went thru 3 phones my first time out also and went back to my storm 1 for a few weeks and now im back on the droid.. 1st camera bad 2nd just started texting when opening the slider Keyboard, 3rd would get hot to touch.. So now I'm on my 4th as well...

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean when you talk about flat or raised keyboard?

My keys are all raised a little bit for feel, but that's normal. Or do you mean the whole keyboard is raised? I'm confused.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
When you have the keyboard slid out,look strait down the device from the headphone jack. If your keyboard is flush with the device, you have the older build. If its slightly raised, you have the newer one with the tighter screen...

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
did verizon explicitly tell you that your new phone is of a different build? I haven't found any evidence that they released different physical builds of the phone yet. It was my understanding that the keyboard would simply have variations from device to device.

Similarly, I haven't see anything about a "tighter" screen.

If there is documentation/evidence of a new/better build, please provide this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87