1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Angry I just lost all my contacts..

Well I feel like someoen just punched me in the face. I have about 300 contacts some of whom are probably irreplaceble and they all just disappeared into thin air. I updated gde and it came out with this new widget that's called "conversations", basically its a widget that let's u scroll through ur/missed calls/texts on ur home screen. Well I fired up the widget and realized that allthough it works swimingly it wasn't showing my contacts names in the texts just numbers... so haha I thought that's a glitch. I clicked my messages and all the names were there so I delted the widget and tried to place it one more time... it didn't work again. And then I clicked messeges and realized it was displayin numbers only... so wtf I thought I click contacts and nothing. I nearly **** my pants. No phone log no contacts nothing. I did a battery pull, nothing. Wtf did I just do and how do I fix it. Please tell me there's a way to fix this
    Droid on Verizon Rooted / Bugless Beast v.9 / Overclocked @ 1.1GHZ stable

Flat Black 302 lx hatch 5spd - 1/4 mile beast
    Alpine White E36 318is 5spd- coilover'd, daily driver
    Original Member

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Delete your google account from your phone and add your account back on... should be fine. I would also first check to make sure your contacts are still in your Gmail on the web...
    Roy Aguilera

If you have sync enabled your contacts are safe. Go to contacts, menu button and hit import/export. Now try to import from SD.
    If that doesn't work go to contacts, menu button, accounts, manage accounts, select your gmail account, sync contacts.
    Good luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Woo ther import from sd worked. Thank you so much fellas I was livid
    Droid on Verizon Rooted / Bugless Beast v.9 / Overclocked @ 1.1GHZ stable

Flat Black 302 lx hatch 5spd - 1/4 mile beast
    Alpine White E36 318is 5spd- coilover'd, daily driver

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock and faulty

HEY! this happened to me too!! about 2 weeks ago I had to go back to best buy to have them transfer contacts again. How do I sync them with google or back them up to the SD card.

EDIT: I reread an earlier post and exported my contacts to my SD card and I also checked the box to sync with google, BUT how do I see my contacts on google?
    Last edited by mr.miagi; 12-10-2009 at 12:32 AM.
    Roy Aguilera

Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
    Woo ther import from sd worked. Thank you so much fellas I was livid
    Glad it worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miagi View Post
    HEY! this happened to me too!! about 2 weeks ago I had to go back to best buy to have them transfer contacts again. How do I sync them with google or back them up to the SD card.

EDIT: I reread an earlier post and exported my contacts to my SD card and I also checked the box to sync with google, BUT how do I see my contacts on google?
    You go to and sign in with your android email and password, then below Inbox you should see Contacts. Click that and all your Contacts from your phone, should be there.

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock and faulty

Quote Originally Posted by alex1080p View Post
    You go to and sign in with your android email and password, then below Inbox you should see Contacts. Click that and all your Contacts from your phone, should be there.
    Only shows 46 of my 388 contacts....

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

exported my contacts to my SD card
    Your issue may be you exported instead of imported your contacts to your phone. If you're not seeing your contacts on Gmail then either the sync isn't working or your contact list is incomplete on your phone.

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock and faulty

Well dont you export to your SD card when you have all your contacts then import them to your phone if you lose your contacts?

Btw, I woke up today and I had all the contacts in gmail, must have just been delayed or something.

Well dont you export to your SD card when you have all your contacts then import them to your phone if you lose your contacts?

Btw, I woke up today and I had all the contacts in gmail, must have just been delayed or something.
    you can export them, however, the default behavior i believe is that it will synch to google's cloud. Login to gmail on the web, click on contacts, and see what is there. If all your contacts are there, the phone should synch and pull them in automatically.

Also, were all of your contacts in google before? Or were some of them pulled from facebook. The contacts list on phone has settings to control if you see contacts with only phone numbers, or all, or contacts from facebook, etc, etc....

Thank you DA6.... the book that comes with the phone might as well be toilet paper... I was beginning to worry about this as well. Did what you said and wa-la...it was all there on the SD card!

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Having skimmed over the posts and not seen this anywhere, if you goto , all your contacts are there.
    Last edited by Bones_6; 03-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Motorola Slvr -> Apple iPhone -> AT&T Tilt I -> Apple iPhone 3G -> Blackberry Bold -> Motorola Droid

Motorola, full circle in three years...
    GenericMessage

Actually, this happened to me with my first droid.

It deleted all my contacts.
    Then it synced up with the server.
    The server noticed I had no contacts, it then thought that I manually deleted them, and then deleted them off the server.

This was obviously a error with my specific droid

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMessage View Post
    Actually, this happened to me with my first droid.

It deleted all my contacts.
    Then it synced up with the server.
    The server noticed I had no contacts, it then thought that I manually deleted them, and then deleted them off the server.

This was obviously a error with my specific droid
    This same thing happened to me. I upgraded my Samsung Moment to the Epic two nights ago after I meticulously backed up my contacts via Gmail. After I swapped phones, it didn't sync at first. Two hours later, my contacts appeared. The next morning they were all GONE. Gone from the phone, and gone from my Gmail account.

The knucklehead from support said I should have backed them up. Um...THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT I DID! What's worse, the Blackberry I originally had them on two months ago has died...no power, no nothing. So I'm really screwed.

We should all use this as a cautionary tale. A synch is not a backup. Alot of us fall into a false sense of security because frequently our data is also located in the cloud via a synch processes. Trouble is usually by default the nature of a synch means what happens HERE happens THERE and what happens THERE happens HERE so unless the synch process it interrupted there is a very good chance something erroneously deleted on either end will be propagated to the other location.

Simply put, a backup is a snapshot of the data at a given point in time and copied to another separate remote location. It takes DELIBERATE interaction in order to restore all or some of that data to the original or replacement device. You can automate a backup process to update the backup file but there is no reason anything or anyone should interact w/ a backup file other than to execute a restore.

Default Re: I just lost all my contacts..

Hi I did as u said but it still didnt wrk only 255 of 690 contacts came