160+ sms in 2.0.1!

mrdonbonjovi

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed this when typing up a message. 2.0 did not have this for me. Can anyone confirm? When you get close to the limit it displays a countdown 5/1, 4/1, 3/1 etc down to 1/1. Then moves to */2. Meaning second txt.

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
They were supposed to fix it sending an MMS if it was over the 160 tho. The update was supposed to send multiple SMS messages if it was over 160. Has anyone tested this yet?

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
just tested it and answered my own question... Looks like they did not. If you send one over 160 to a sprint phone you get a text telling you it will only deliver the first 160

dst255

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone actually sent an SMS over 160 characters and had the recipient receive split messages? I just tested sending a text to my google voice number and I got a response from Verizon (in form of a text) saying only the first 160 characters were sent.

Doesn't seem like the Droid is doing the splitting ...

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to Verizon but almost all my friends have had them for quite some time now. And they have never been able to send more than 160 characters to non verizon phones.

Although if its to another Verizon phone you can text away with virtually no limitations.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
it's not the droid, it's verizon.. because you can send multiple txts to other verizon users.. it stinks... i wish they would release it too...

rip14

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
it's not the droid, it's verizon.. because you can send multiple txts to other verizon users.. it stinks... i wish they would release it too...

No, its not verizon either. 160 characters is the standard for SMS which was created back in 1985.

You can blame Matti Makkonen and Friedhelm Hillebrand, the guys who invented it.

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

It is the Droid... I came from a Pre and it split the messages for you. I guess handcent will fix the problem but I thought they were going to fix the default text app in the update

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
It is the Droid... I came from a Pre and it split the messages for you. I guess handcent will fix the problem but I thought they were going to fix the default text app in the update

Pre is Sprint, Droid is Verizon. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's a Verizon limitation for not splitting the messages not the Droid.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
No, its not verizon either. 160 characters is the standard for SMS which was created back in 1985.

You can blame Matti Makkonen and Friedhelm Hillebrand, the guys who invented it.

yes, but what I think he is trying to say is Verizon, unlike Sprint or AT&T will not automatically split the message to non-Verizon phones.

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Just use handcent, theres an option to split messages when they are over 160.

And yes, its a restriction set by verizon and not the droid itself. I agree they should lift this restriction, but they like to make money in every way possible.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Just use handcent, theres an option to split messages when they are over 160.

And yes, its a restriction set by verizon and not the droid itself. I agree they should lift this restriction, but they like to make money in every way possible.

I don't understand how failing to split the messages makes money for them, it seems like all it does is waste time.