Droid Includes FM Receiver and Transmitter

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't have time to look ATM, but thanks.

Quick question - didn't VZW have the FM transmitter in the TP2's radio 'de-activated'? Wonder if this is the same situation. Anyone have a Milestone in hand yet?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Appears that the Moto Droid has a TI WL1271 IC for the wireless (non CDMA radio) controls. The IC itself supports FM recieve+broadcast, 802.11b/g/n, and BT 2.1 +ER. It looks like it's a single chip set up and not a modular solution, so in theory, 802.11n and Fm transmit could be implemented if someone were to build a kernel with support for all the functions. This wouldn't be too hard to do since it's a Linux kernel...wl1271 drivers are already built and running in Linux. [PATCH 0/2] wl1271: driver for the TI WL1271 chipset: msg#00350 linux-wireless

The harder part will be finding software that can do something with the data once it's collected, and finding something to use as an antenna.
I think the new HTC models will have FM capabilities, so there's the radio software.
Possibly the existing wifi antenna could be used for the n speed data xfer, and a set of headphones could be used as an antenna. I don't do much work on Moto equipment, so I have very little literature here about their engineering standards beyond some simple industrial relay/switch schematics.

To be completely honest, you're addng more overhead to the OS, using more battery, and possibly needing more hardware to get something a 10.00 transmitter from Radio Shack or WalMart can provide lol.

And theory is a loooonnngggg way from reality. I don't see this one happening, as it's plain old hard to do. OTOH, if it's a case like the TP2, where everything is in place and Verizon had the function disabled, it would be a piece of cake. I'm sure the serious droid hackers will know the answer to that one in due time.

First step would be to get the working kernel source fro the phone and see how the drivers were built and what's supported. So far, Moto isn't sharing anything CDMA yet. This is probably going to be a case just like HTC and their CDMA code...it will take a lawyer to get them even though they are legally required to hand it out. Milestone source was released at MotoDev site the day of release. https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/...e;jsessionid=B5AA83D6142EA8D405F06ABE211586B8

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
boy.. i didnt want to register for that forum -- but i can't believe so many people are complaining about this.

i just bought the moto T505, because I own a vehicle with no aux input, and no cassette deck. just a six disc changer. my only avenue for getting calls/nav/audio to my car stereo (short of purchasing an aftermarket head unit) is FM transmitter. i have a belkin fm transmitter, but i despise having the thing hanging off of my droid in the mount -- it looks bad, and functions even worse. also it has to be plugged in, or use AAA batts, which die VERY quickly. also lots of wires, assuming i want to plug in my phone too.

moto t505 has WAY better battery life, and the sound quality is fantastic. i have been using it for several days to/from work and i don't see how it's any worse than my alternative, which is listening to it directly from the phone while driving. not so good.

i'm quite happy -- i now have my calls, music, and nav going through my stereo (or through the speaker on the unit if i please), and it all works via bluetooth, with only the wire charging the phone (if desired)

listening to Pandora while driving is nothing short of magical.

edit:

also, looked at the google translate link above -- that thing looks way bigger than our droids.. no?

Last edited:

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Motorola T505

boy.. i didnt want to register for that forum -- but i can't believe so many people are complaining about this.

i just bought the moto T505, because I own a vehicle with no aux input, and no cassette deck. just a six disc changer. my only avenue for getting calls/nav/audio to my car stereo (short of purchasing an aftermarket head unit) is FM transmitter. i have a belkin fm transmitter, but i despise having the thing hanging off of my droid in the mount -- it looks bad, and functions even worse. also it has to be plugged in, or use AAA batts, which die VERY quickly. also lots of wires, assuming i want to plug in my phone too.

moto t505 has WAY better battery life, and the sound quality is fantastic. i have been using it for several days to/from work and i don't see how it's any worse than my alternative, which is listening to it directly from the phone while driving. not so good.

i'm quite happy -- i now have my calls, music, and nav going through my stereo (or through the speaker on the unit if i please), and it all works via bluetooth, with only the wire charging the phone (if desired)

listening to Pandora while driving is nothing short of magical.

edit:

also, looked at the google translate link above -- that thing looks way bigger than our droids.. no?

Darn you. After reading your post, I had to revise my Santa List and hopefully my BW has the time to get this here for Christmas. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance