How do I turn off the ringer, but keep the vibration?

Thadeus50

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If I am in a meeting for example, I want to turn off the ringer but I want the phone to vibrate. If I turn off the sound on the lock screen, the vibration doesn't work. Thanks for any feedback.

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
The physical button on the right-side of the phone (while unlocked). Just hit the volume down. Second from last lowest is vibe only, lowest is just mute.

Last edited:

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
This is what I really like about the Droid, easily being able to use the volume up/down buttons to quickly make it vibrate only.

I was worried not having profiles like on Blackberry would stink but this is fine.

n2o

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Still stunned with the lack of intelligence by most posters. Have you even used your phone for 5 minutes before asking some of these questions? LOL.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
most motorola phones have the volumn up/down control to set vibrate. I have beautiful widgets which has a vibrate widget. i also use home++ which has a dock bar that lets u toggle between volume/silent/vibrate. And im sure there are free widgets as well that let u toggle to vibrate, just search the market. Lastly, maybe a future version of the lock screen will allow toggling vibrate as well, or making this available in a setting. multiple ways to do the same thing, pick your poison

slikone27

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
2 good free widgets are beautiful vibrate and beautiful silence. They are free but minimal to what beautiful widgets is (same developer and both included in beautiful widgets).

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Still stunned with the lack of intelligence by most posters. Have you even used your phone for 5 minutes before asking some of these questions? LOL.

I really want to be that guy who comes in and says "Come on man, don't bash on the noobies for asking stupid questions"...but I can't. Every cell phone I've ever owned, with the exception of the berries, has had the "turn the ring volume down to vibrate" feature.

Are people that terrified of pushing buttons to see what they do? Get in there and molest that phone a bit...find out what all the buttons do.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I just turn off the sound then going into settings and put then put my messages on vibrate. That works best for me. buts its pretty annoying. The beautiful widgets are no longer there, so hopefully there will be a nice replacement from it.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
coming from a storm

I see this forum is the same as crackberry when it comes to bashing anyjuan who asks a question about their new phone.

It should be noted that blackberrys don't have the volume down to vibrate function.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I just found a great "settings" app. Its called "ear". It has user configurable profiles for ring tones, vibrate, notifications, etc .. and a nice ui. It sits in the notification tray and shows you which profile is active.

I have profiles for Work (quiet rings), Car (very loud settings), home (med settings), etc ...

Just swipe the notification bar and press Ear. Then select a profile .. perfect for me.

gdurfey

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I really want to be that guy who comes in and says "Come on man, don't bash on the noobies for asking stupid questions"...but I can't. Every cell phone I've ever owned, with the exception of the berries, has had the "turn the ring volume down to vibrate" feature.

Are people that terrified of pushing buttons to see what they do? Get in there and molest that phone a bit...find out what all the buttons do.

While its true you can just push the button on the side to get it. It would be really nice if there was a setting that you didn't have to unlock the phone. I was thinking the same thing as the guy who asked the question. Why do i have to unlock the phone and then turn it to vibrate when there is a silence on the lock screen?

glfalk

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
LOL yourself. If I lower the ringer volume to one click above off on my Galaxy 5 it still rings audibly. If I lower it to the next level it doesn't vibrate. The Non "Smart" phone I had 15 years ago could easily mute the ring and vibrate, and the iPhone that I had prior to the Galaxy allows users to easily lower or turn off ringer without losing the vibrate. Do I really need to find a special app to perform this trivial function? I guess LOL does apply. As a phone this is coming off as a joke...