Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Infused 1.5

Default Do HOME REPLACEMENTS slow the phone down?

I've heard a lot of great stories about people doing home replacements on their droids with great success.

However, I'm worried it'll slow the phone down the way Sense does with the Hero.

One of my favorite things about the Droid is how snappy it is-- so are there any home replacements that DON'T slow down the phone or cause a lag.

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

you know i am worried about this too which is why i have kept my homescreen the way it came. last thing i need is a laggy interface.

Honestly, I found the phone at least as fast with PandaHome but possibly a bit snappier, give it a try, if it slows it down, uninstall!
    Roy Aguilera

They will not delete you original home. Try them out and uninstall if they slow it down. Yet in my experience they don't.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I have had a times where I get to many force closes using GDE but have very good luck with dxtop. Like DA said try em out if you don't like them or they slow down your phone just uninstall them.

I am using the Home ++ beta and I love it. Gives upto 7 screens and they are constantly updating to make it more functiona. Like the others, it has the occasional force close, but over all it is great.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    Honestly, I found the phone at least as fast with PandaHome but possibly a bit snappier, give it a try, if it slows it down, uninstall!
    Seemed to me that Home++ was even faster than Panda. I like the setup for scrolling between screens on DxTop but it seems over time they are slow at times and may force close which is really annoying and do lag sometimes mainly when going back to the home screen from an applications screen.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

I really like home ++ is very snappy and minimalist design.

Yea I dont notice any slowdown. I was on DxTop and it was quick and now I'm on GDE and it's super fast. No noticeable slowdown in my experience.

I tried DXTop and definitely noticed slowdown from unlock screen until it was ready to use. Also noticed more freezeups (three) in the first day of DXTop than I'd had in the prior three weeks of using the phone. UNINSTALLED!

Used Home ++ and noticed no slowdown whatsoever...I can't speak for Pandahome or any of the others though.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Infused 1.5

Where is Home ++ in the market? Cant find it!

dxtop is a laggy piece of software. It doesn't like going from landscape to portrait if you run widgets at all.

I'm currently running panda home and its pretty much the same as stock, and i really like the side docks.

Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    Where is Home ++ in the market? Cant find it!
    Try searching for Home++ Beta.
    a little obsessive...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

i was using dx top and noticed some slowdown. just switched to home++ and it seems to be much faster. the only thing i am not as big a fan of is that the dock at the bottom isnt as customizable, but other than that i like it fine

Just installed Home++ and it seems pretty snappy, except when I use Advanced Task Killer. Might try switching to the integrated one.

I have used both OpenHome and PandaHome..... I can say that YES they do slow your phone down... But I believe most people will find that the advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages,..... You can always uninstall the apps...
    Droid---[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0, Nextheme, Bekit 800mhz kernel!
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance!

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

I've been using Launcher+ beta it is basically an even more minimalistic Home++ made by the same guy.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Launcher+. Nice find!
    The key feature out of a home replacement is more screens to put widgets on. I think this will hold me over until 2.1.

Now it looks like I have a stock 2.0.1 phone with 5 home screens. Awesome.

ROM
    Something new!

I downloaded openhome, dxtop, home++ and pandahome in that order. Openhome didn't slow down my system noticibly, but I noticed the other ones did, and then even openhome was slow. I liked the features of Pandahome the best, so I deleted all of the other ones off my driod. Now Pandahome is snappy and really isn't noticibly slower. So my advice is only to have one home replacement on your device at a time.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stik View Post
    I've been using Launcher+ beta it is basically an even more minimalistic Home++ made by the same guy.
    Was just gonna say that .... launcher+ is pretty legit. I wish I didn't have to download anything but there is no lag and its exactly the same as stock just with more screens.

I think it is definitely worth installing a home replacement. Some may be faster than others but the benefits and features of the home replacements are well worth giving them a try.
    Roy Aguilera

I'm also using launcher +, Its pretty fast and smooth.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

I have been using Home++ this week. It seems very quick and no lag at all. That said I do not care for the bottom dock it provides and much prefer the DxTop bottom dock slider. I like having more screens with Home++ but for some reason prefer the Diamond format from DX.
    Blackberry Curve ---> OG Droid ---> Samsung Fascinate ---> back to Droid--->Thunderbolt--->Galaxy S3

Wow, I'm really glad I read this thread. I saw most people were using dxTop back in the "show your screen" thread, so I figured it was the best and have been using it. I decided to uninstall and try Home++, since everyone seems to think it's faster, and boy are they right. I had forgotten how fast the Droid could be, and how smooth transitions should look. No more staring at a black screen for 3 seconds, then half of my wallpaper for another 3 seconds, before the home screen finally comes up.

I do miss the diamond pattern of dxTop and the skinnable, dual drawers with all apps plus running apps, but overall I'm happier. Now if I can just get used to the weird dock and its odd voice search, plus the absence of the notifications bar (I know you can get it back, but I'm seeing if I prefer it gone first).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast