Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Damaged MicroUSB Port

Hello all. I bought my OG droid from eBay. I love it and my wife loves her Droid2. I do have a bit of a problem. The micro USB port is very loose on mine. Looking at it with the phone laying on it's back, the cable has a lot of side-Side movent. There is some Up-Down movement. While 'wiggling' continues to charge. But I am afried it will get worse. I have mentioned the sloppyness to the eBay Vendor. They offered me a $20 refund or an RMA. What should I choose?

I used to use a BB Storm, I could go back to that for a few days while I wait for this to come back. But I did have my eye on a warrenty for $22. that starts +61 days after purchase and is good for one year. The provider is BBB Certified with no compaints. I fear that accecpting the $20 refund then fixing the port my self would void that warrenty.

On the otherside of the coin, these are getting cheaper every week on eBay, I could save the $22 and use it to buy another used one when this tanks out.

What are your thoughts. Are these even user repairable?

Thanks to everyone on their thoughts and comments.
    Last edited by thesavo; 12-13-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesavo View Post
    I have mentioned the sloppyness to the eBay Vendor. They offered me a $20 refund or an RMA. What should I choose?
    Get a refund. This has to be sent in for replacement. If you bought it on eBay you might have issues getting warranty support.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

So take the replacement option? Or the partial refund?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I am leaning to the RMA side of things too. I just read a teardown. Not that it's too complicated.
    Motorola Droid Teardown - iFixit

I apologize for the Low Quality Pics, these were taken with a Droid 2, without good lighting conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damaged MicroUSB Port-2010-12-12_15-57-56_483-large-.jpg   Damaged MicroUSB Port-2010-12-12_15-59-48_203-large-.jpg   Damaged MicroUSB Port-good-microusb.jpg  
    Last edited by thesavo; 12-13-2010 at 10:10 PM.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

I have noticed a lot of wiggling in all the refurbished Droids that I had, depended on which micro usb cable I was using though (OEM cable fit the best obviously)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Its in the box going back. Thanks all for your thoughts.