school email setup

mrg412

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
hey i just got my droid a week ago and i was wondering if anyone knew how to set up a school email on it because ive had no luck.

scbower

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
if you check your school email with outlook, then open outlook, click on tools, click on view or change existing email accounts; you should then see your accounts, click on your school email, and click change, you should see your server information for that account. You will need to input that info when setting up your email account on your phone. It will test it as it is doing it, and you can set the frequency of checking that email and you should be good to go...

Last edited:

scbower

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
If you use a web based email program, then just try pop.yourschool.edu for incoming and smtp.yourschool.edu or smtpout.yourschool.edu (or whatever your school web address is...)

Hope that helps...

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess it depends on the school? University of Arizona doesn't have any problem with this.

I have mine setup fine under k9. Annoys me a bit that I cannot set it up under the Gmail client, even though its a being outsourced to Google, but anyway...

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
My school uses an Outlook Web Access (OWA) exchange account and it was pretty easy to set up, just enter the correct info for your account on the phone as chuckbower stated. For OWA your account info you need to click options then click about.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I dont have my droid yet (getting it the 24th) but I just forward my school email to my gmail account it its worked great on my macbook pros email app and my blackberry. Most school emails seem to use a similar server so they should forward to gmail just fine. There is a slight delay before its forwarded to gmail (usually like 5 minutes) but otherwise no problems.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The email app on the Droid supports both IMAP and POP accounts. I would think that somehow you would be able to get it to work.
My school uses an IMAP system with Google Apps. It worked for me right away, but when my friend got his Droid, it didn't work right away. He had to change his password, and then change it back for his phone to work with it for some reason. So I'd recommend that you keep trying.

korp#IM

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
My school uses gmail as a provider so it was easy as pie. :) .... usually when you open your email online there should be some type of help that lets you set it up for outlook and just use those settings.

angie_mobile

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This works.

OK i just did it after messing around with it for a bit.

still keep your user name as your whole email address
mine for ex. mystudentnumber @ email . school . edu

Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL

Outgoing settings
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Security type: SSL

SPRINT HTC EVO 2.2 Froyo

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
As long as you get their incoming/outgoing servers there shouldn't be any problems. If by chance, upon completing setup, you receive an error regarding outgoing settings, try changing your port number for outgoing mail.

VJ-2f4u

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. My school email will not sync to my phone. My school email is a live email and i run it on outlook but no matter how i try to sync them onto my phone, it tells me unable to complete.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
What settings are you using? There are instructions out there for setting up Live@EDU accounts. I've Googled this info many times in the past for people asking the very same question.

jhesselg

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I suggest you just mess around with it for a little. I have a web-based email and it seemed impossible to synch it on my android. I did, however, go onto my email settings and learned the actual server name of my school email, which wasn't simply "ucsd.edu" then typed it after "imap." the application request then changed but somehow it worked.
just mess around and hopefully it will work!

if not you can try and forward your school emails to another account (gmail, yahoo, etc) and have that on your phone.

good luck :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21