What do you guys think? Do you think it can handle Gingerbread?
    I honestly was surprised to see Froyo on it. I know there isn't any "minimum requirements"
    12-15-2010 03:28 PM
    Officially? I highly doubt it. I can almost guarantee that there will be a gingerbread rom that devs put out. The only problem is that you must root your device. (If you decide to root, please do your homework and research it)

The reason Gingerbread will not be officially released on the Droid is because it isn't Verizon's or Motorola's priority now. They don't sell the devices anymore so they would rather try to get people to early upgrade to a newer device than keep people with their original Droid's who bought them a year ago. Also, even though there aren't any min. requirements for gingerbread it may not run smooth on older (old tech.) devices. Look at how Froyo runs on the Droid. There are a lot of homescreen refreshes that that can take a few seconds to settle which is really annoying. This is another reason that it may not be pushed to the Droid. If Froyo was not able to run at 100% then gingerbread might not as well.
    12-15-2010 03:43 PM
    Officially? I highly doubt it. I can almost guarantee that there will be a gingerbread rom that devs put out. The only problem is that you must root your device. (If you decide to root, please do your homework and research it)

The reason Gingerbread will not be officially released on the Droid is because it isn't Verizon's or Motorola's priority now. They don't sell the devices anymore so they would rather try to get people to early upgrade to a newer device than keep people with their original Droid's who bought them a year ago. Also, even though there aren't any min. requirements for gingerbread it may not run smooth on older (old tech.) devices. Look at how Froyo runs on the Droid. There are a lot of homescreen refreshes that that can take a few seconds to settle which is really annoying. This is another reason that it may not be pushed to the Droid. If Froyo was not able to run at 100% then gingerbread might not as well.
    I actually don't have an original Droid (anymore).
    I was just wondering what people thought. I completely agree with you.
    12-15-2010 04:31 PM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Isn't Gingerbread supposed to work better with the resources you have than Froyo?
    12-15-2010 05:10 PM
    I have to agree with no official release from VZW. However, the source code has been released so I am sure the guys who work on cyanogen, bugless beast and other creators of popular roms are working on incorporating gingerbread for their next release. They will make it work well on the droid and it will probably surpass the official firmware releases in terms of battery life, speed and functionality. If you are rocking the OG Droid now is the time to root and have fun with it. It can keep your phone more current and running smooth if you read up on it and make sure you know what you are doing.
    12-21-2010 06:40 PM
    AC's official unofficial upgrade list.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/will-m...et-gingerbread
    12-21-2010 06:59 PM
    I have the OG MotoDroid and I would like to see Gingerbread on the device, but highly doubt it will happen. The Droid 2 is there for consumers to get a hold of (as you can see VZW selling it at BOGO prices right now). Like everyone else has said there will be custom roms out. I'm looking forward to the 4G phones that may be available next summer/fall
    12-21-2010 07:06 PM
    I have the OG MotoDroid
    I'm so glad other people call this the OG Droid like I do ...but I fully agree.

Why would Verizon push gingerbread to Droid? They have nothing to gain. I was honestly and pleasantly surprised to see it get Froyo so as far as I'm concerned Verizon already went above and beyond.
    12-28-2010 10:49 AM
    Cell Phones eventually die. What are you going to replace your Original Droid with?

DroidX... Droid2... 4g?

I want it to be rooted and run clean Android. No MotoBlur crap.
    12-28-2010 01:17 PM
    I'm so glad other people call this the OG Droid like I do ...but I fully agree.

Why would Verizon push gingerbread to Droid? They have nothing to gain. I was honestly and pleasantly surprised to see it get Froyo so as far as I'm concerned Verizon already went above and beyond.
    I am totally agree with you
    12-28-2010 08:50 PM
    Cell Phones eventually die. What are you going to replace your Original Droid with?

DroidX... Droid2... 4g?

Pshh the OG droid is built like a tank. It ain't dying ha ha. My GF got my OG droid. I will put a GB ROM on there for her as ASAP.
    12-28-2010 08:55 PM
    Pshh the OG droid is built like a tank. It ain't dying ha ha. My GF got my OG droid. I will put a GB ROM on there for her as ASAP.
    Ha ha, I gave my D1 to my wife and got me a Droid X.
    12-29-2010 01:29 AM

DroidX... Droid2... 4g?

That will take, in addition to root, Koush's Bootstrap, a custom recovery like Clockwork, and then finally a ROM to completely avoid Blur on a DX or D2/D2G/D2R2D2.

Cripes, that's a keyboard full: D2/D2G/D2R2D2

I run LauncherPro or ADW, depending, to avoid Blur while still being present on the phone.

In fact, I just ordered a Droid so I could use a phone without Blur. It will be getting Cyanogen as soon as I get it. With the OC Kernels available, I shouldn't notice much of a performance lack side by side with my DX, benchmark scores aside.
    12-29-2010 05:51 PM
    What's the hold up? I expected Gingerbread to be officially released during the Xmas season. Gingerbread/Xmas they go together right? Instead all we got was the SDK. Where's the official OTA push? Ok maybe not to Droid OG right away, but shouldn't some device have it by now after all the hoopla at Google? Is there a problem with Gingerbread?
    01-02-2011 11:55 AM
    What's the hold up? I expected Gingerbread to be officially released during the Xmas season. Gingerbread/Xmas they go together right? Instead all we got was the SDK. Where's the official OTA push? Ok maybe not to Droid OG right away, but shouldn't some device have it by now after all the hoopla at Google? Is there a problem with Gingerbread?
    Don't get your hopes up man. I am not saying that it definitely will not be officially released to the OG Droid but it is highly unlikely. The only reason that the OG Droid received Froyo was due to Google's demands. Motorola seems to be only concerned with the newest devices which i think is a bad move on their part. Especially with the Droid being stock Android, I don't think it would take that much work on their part. If it had motoblur i would understand because it would have to be modified additionally for it to work properly but it doesn't. Bad Motorola.
    01-02-2011 12:22 PM
    All I can say is thank goodness for cm that will be the way it gets gingerbread
    01-02-2011 01:39 PM
    All I can say is thank goodness for cm that will be the way it gets gingerbread
    yup. That or sapphire or lithium mod or ultimate droid (i in no way support this rom but it its an option for you droid users). Droid users who want gingerbread might want to research rooting if you haven't already.

Sent from my Droid Incredible because I'm too lazy to walk over to my computer.
    01-02-2011 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD