1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Blur

Default Do you think the Droid will get Gingerbread

What do you guys think? Do you think it can handle Gingerbread?
    I honestly was surprised to see Froyo on it. I know there isn't any "minimum requirements"
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Officially? I highly doubt it. I can almost guarantee that there will be a gingerbread rom that devs put out. The only problem is that you must root your device. (If you decide to root, please do your homework and research it)

The reason Gingerbread will not be officially released on the Droid is because it isn't Verizon's or Motorola's priority now. They don't sell the devices anymore so they would rather try to get people to early upgrade to a newer device than keep people with their original Droid's who bought them a year ago. Also, even though there aren't any min. requirements for gingerbread it may not run smooth on older (old tech.) devices. Look at how Froyo runs on the Droid. There are a lot of homescreen refreshes that that can take a few seconds to settle which is really annoying. This is another reason that it may not be pushed to the Droid. If Froyo was not able to run at 100% then gingerbread might not as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Blur

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Officially? I highly doubt it. I can almost guarantee that there will be a gingerbread rom that devs put out. The only problem is that you must root your device. (If you decide to root, please do your homework and research it)

The reason Gingerbread will not be officially released on the Droid is because it isn't Verizon's or Motorola's priority now. They don't sell the devices anymore so they would rather try to get people to early upgrade to a newer device than keep people with their original Droid's who bought them a year ago. Also, even though there aren't any min. requirements for gingerbread it may not run smooth on older (old tech.) devices. Look at how Froyo runs on the Droid. There are a lot of homescreen refreshes that that can take a few seconds to settle which is really annoying. This is another reason that it may not be pushed to the Droid. If Froyo was not able to run at 100% then gingerbread might not as well.
    I actually don't have an original Droid (anymore).
    I was just wondering what people thought. I completely agree with you.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Isn't Gingerbread supposed to work better with the resources you have than Froyo?

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

I have to agree with no official release from VZW. However, the source code has been released so I am sure the guys who work on cyanogen, bugless beast and other creators of popular roms are working on incorporating gingerbread for their next release. They will make it work well on the droid and it will probably surpass the official firmware releases in terms of battery life, speed and functionality. If you are rocking the OG Droid now is the time to root and have fun with it. It can keep your phone more current and running smooth if you read up on it and make sure you know what you are doing.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

AC's official unofficial upgrade list.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/will-m...et-gingerbread

I have the OG MotoDroid and I would like to see Gingerbread on the device, but highly doubt it will happen. The Droid 2 is there for consumers to get a hold of (as you can see VZW selling it at BOGO prices right now). Like everyone else has said there will be custom roms out. I'm looking forward to the 4G phones that may be available next summer/fall

Quote Originally Posted by ne0rome0 View Post
    I have the OG MotoDroid
    I'm so glad other people call this the OG Droid like I do ...but I fully agree.

Why would Verizon push gingerbread to Droid? They have nothing to gain. I was honestly and pleasantly surprised to see it get Froyo so as far as I'm concerned Verizon already went above and beyond.
    You only wish you were Droidin' like me
    They see me Droidin', they hatin', my Big Red. Never gunna catch me rockin iPhone.
    Smoke Signals -> Rotary -> RAZR -> Droid

Cell Phones eventually die. What are you going to replace your Original Droid with?

DroidX... Droid2... 4g?

I want it to be rooted and run clean Android. No MotoBlur crap.

Quote Originally Posted by tdawgui View Post
    I'm so glad other people call this the OG Droid like I do ...but I fully agree.

Why would Verizon push gingerbread to Droid? They have nothing to gain. I was honestly and pleasantly surprised to see it get Froyo so as far as I'm concerned Verizon already went above and beyond.
    I am totally agree with you

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDiff View Post
    Cell Phones eventually die. What are you going to replace your Original Droid with?

DroidX... Droid2... 4g?

Pshh the OG droid is built like a tank. It ain't dying ha ha. My GF got my OG droid. I will put a GB ROM on there for her as ASAP.

ROM
    apex V 1.4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Pshh the OG droid is built like a tank. It ain't dying ha ha. My GF got my OG droid. I will put a GB ROM on there for her as ASAP.
    Ha ha, I gave my D1 to my wife and got me a Droid X.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDiff View Post

DroidX... Droid2... 4g?

That will take, in addition to root, Koush's Bootstrap, a custom recovery like Clockwork, and then finally a ROM to completely avoid Blur on a DX or D2/D2G/D2R2D2.

Cripes, that's a keyboard full: D2/D2G/D2R2D2

I run LauncherPro or ADW, depending, to avoid Blur while still being present on the phone.

In fact, I just ordered a Droid so I could use a phone without Blur. It will be getting Cyanogen as soon as I get it. With the OC Kernels available, I shouldn't notice much of a performance lack side by side with my DX, benchmark scores aside.

What's the hold up? I expected Gingerbread to be officially released during the Xmas season. Gingerbread/Xmas they go together right? Instead all we got was the SDK. Where's the official OTA push? Ok maybe not to Droid OG right away, but shouldn't some device have it by now after all the hoopla at Google? Is there a problem with Gingerbread?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    What's the hold up? I expected Gingerbread to be officially released during the Xmas season. Gingerbread/Xmas they go together right? Instead all we got was the SDK. Where's the official OTA push? Ok maybe not to Droid OG right away, but shouldn't some device have it by now after all the hoopla at Google? Is there a problem with Gingerbread?
    Don't get your hopes up man. I am not saying that it definitely will not be officially released to the OG Droid but it is highly unlikely. The only reason that the OG Droid received Froyo was due to Google's demands. Motorola seems to be only concerned with the newest devices which i think is a bad move on their part. Especially with the Droid being stock Android, I don't think it would take that much work on their part. If it had motoblur i would understand because it would have to be modified additionally for it to work properly but it doesn't. Bad Motorola.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

All I can say is thank goodness for cm that will be the way it gets gingerbread
    Rooted for life
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    All I can say is thank goodness for cm that will be the way it gets gingerbread
    yup. That or sapphire or lithium mod or ultimate droid (i in no way support this rom but it its an option for you droid users). Droid users who want gingerbread might want to research rooting if you haven't already.

Sent from my Droid Incredible because I'm too lazy to walk over to my computer.