Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi does not work

My home network is password protected using wpa security. My friends with iphones connect no problem when I give them the password, but my droid does not. It just doesn't connect. Am I doing something wrong??

Are you broadcasting the SSID? I wasn't and had to turn it on. For some reason android seems to need the SSID to be broadcast.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm sorry. I don't know how to do that.

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts

Should be in the router settings .... it basically means can you see the network name when you search for it.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

If you can see your network name in the Wi-Fi list, then it's already being broadcasted. There's a few posts in the Motorola Droid Support Forums, about WPA issues with the Droid. It could be an issue with WPA & the Droid specifically.

Try simply power cycling the router, sometimes that's all it takes. Then power cycle your phone if that doesn't work. If none of that works try removing all encryption to see if it will connect, if not then the router could have some compatibility issues with the droid (or the droid could have a hardware issue). In that case you can try updating the firmware on the router (usually available on the manufacturer's website).

If having no encryption causes the droid to connect then you can try the different types till you find one that works or you can narrow it down to the ones that don't. It will obviously require some troubleshooting to nail down the issue but you shouldn't jump to conclusions before you try the droid with other networks as sometimes the problem is the router even though it works with other devices.

So far I've had to no problems with my droid. At home and work it connects fine and both are wpa based networks. I've also used it on several of our clients' networks without incident. Others have had bad luck but because there are so many different routers it's hard to come to a simple conclusion. It could very well be a problem with the droid but it would only have to be on some units.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I got it to work by sitching the security from wpa to wep.

I cannot connect at home either (but my sons iTouch works fine). My SSID is not broadcast and I am using WEP. I will try turning on SSID broadcast and see if that works.