How to root Milestone?

JTode

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all, just got a Milestone, which is basically a Droid, on MTS up in Canada. In case you're wondering, I went with MTS and a 15-18 month old phone because I'm getting unlimited data and texts at a ridiculously low monthly rate.

Anyways, my actual goal is to install Pandora. I know that Pandora won't work with a Canadian IP address, and I've got that part covered. The problem is that I can't install the App from the Market.

As I see it, there's two potential solutions - one is to somehow acquire the apk for Pandora and install it manually, which I'm a bit foggy on but seems doable if I could find said apk, but I can't find it. Hint hint.

The other, of course, is to root the phone, install Market-Enabler, and install Pandora from the T-Mobile market. This is a bit more in-depth, but I follow directions well, and I'm told there's other advantages to having a rooted phone, though I'm a bit unclear still. What worries me, mainly, is the possibility that I could "brick" the phone, or do something that wrecks it in a way that I can't come back from, even if I swallow my pride and pay an expert to fix my screwup.

So basically, I'm trying to get a handle on what I need to know before I start poking around in my phone - I have a set goal in mind, so I'm not out to become an expert or to start hacking away at things until it breaks, I guess I'd mostly just like to have a conversation with someone or some few who are well-versed in the workings of Android phones and can warn me about what to avoid doing and point me at a rooting tutorial that is applicable to my phone and Android version and whatnot.

If anyone's willing to let me hang out under their wing for a little while, there would be much appreciation on my part. And if anyone out there is on MTS and wants to get in touch to trade tips and hacks and such, drop me a line as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay