100% confirmed - Flash and 2.1 coming to Moto Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roy Aguilera

My question is if we do get the 2.1, then what next? What is so innovative I have to get 2.1???

Flash.

-Live wallpapers
-3D app drawer
-New Dock Clock that matches the lock screen
-New Gallery
-Improved Launcher with 5 screens
-Improved Music Player
-Hopefully improved browser
Not much to look forward to really.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
-Hopefully improved browser

There's the one that matters. All else if fluff. Well, unless you need Flash somewhere. I need Java, waiting for that.

Reactions: prometheus

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, except for the complaints that we've read, and the things it doesn't do as well...so we'd still be complaining, just different!

hossberry

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
it so funny to think that just a couple moths ago i thought that the bbstorm was all that and a bag of cookies but they never supported there phone after release

and now with the droid and how they at motorola are trying there best to give us a phone that is the best that it can be

for me i can't get over how good this phone is and everyone i show has gone out and gotten one

well I've shown 25 people the droid way all happy droid users:D

Last edited:

primodroid

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Motorola just announced at CES both Flash and Android 2.1 will be coming to the Droid with no exact dates mentioned. They also chimed in about the next maintenance update coming soon.

Anyone want to take bets on the release dates? :)

Excellenttttt!! I say the next update will be TONIGHT at midnight!! I know that's wishful thinking but with the snow coming tonight and tomorrow...I'm dreaming of another white "little christmas" with a late xmas gift from Motorola!! This phone rocks!!! :eek: :D;)

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Articles I read all said that Motorola had released that the 2.1 update would be coming within a few days!

Now, I could have miss read that and maybe the maintenance upgrade is coming... Im thinking that maybe the maintenance upgrade could actually be a hardware flash in preparation for 2.1's functions. Maybe some of the hardware code needs to be updated to get the OS update to function properly... A few days in between could be to make sure that all droids are ready. Just a thought...

But what the hell do I know! LOL

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Oh, this reminds me of the endless Pre speculation about release dates! And then if/when VZW would have it...an impatient bunch we are. Christmas is coming. Just enjoy the wait.

R

Roy Aguilera

Oh, this reminds me of the endless Pre speculation about release dates! And then if/when VZW would have it...an impatient bunch we are. Christmas is coming. Just enjoy the wait.

Guessing is 1/2 the fun.

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking that the speculation is correct about the maintenance release being soon. I heard something from my Verizon indirect rep stating mid month on the update but not to hold my breath on 2.1 being here. Sounds they (they being the ones paid the most in the big V) are looking at another month or 2 before we will get v2.1 with flash following later.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Verizon indirect reps know less than Verizon reps do.

Anyway, I posted this at Hofo, and it makes more sense to me:

It makes no sense to have a maintenance update, and then shortly after release a new OS build, because this will most likely cause the need for a second maintenance update.

It makes more sense to get 2.1 out there, and then hit it with a maintenance update as time goes on. Less resources are wasted.

A quick sitdown with Motorola co-CEO Sanjay Jha -- Engadget

...you can look at the Droid -- that device is 2.0, and this is 2.1. The day that launches, 2.1 will be available to us and we'll upgrade the Droid to 2.1. So the software feature sets will be available completely to us.

But yeah, you're right, I think that if all we do is use Google software... well, they have made that 2.0-to-2.1 a fairly simple transition, so we could do that very quickly.

Last edited:

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Last time I checked none of us are actually working for Verizon, Motorola or Google so everything we talk about is just speculation anyway. I've been in the cellular business for 17yrs and one thing is for sure.... we will never be spot on with our assumptions or guesses.

Our best guess is still just a guess.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It makes no sense to have a maintenance update, and then shortly after release a new OS build, because this will most likely cause the need for a second maintenance update.

The thing that scares me is, they were also talking about working on optimizing Flash for the Droid.
As much as I want 2.1, I'm afraid that the fact that they're saying there's also a maintenance update means Flash still isn't quite there, and 2.1 won't be coming until they finish it. This would explain why there are 2 updates coming, because the other one is to tide us over until the big update. :(

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Verizon indirect reps know less than Verizon reps do.

Anyway, I posted this at Hofo, and it makes more sense to me:

It makes more sense to get 2.1 out there, and then hit it with a maintenance update as time goes on. Less resources are wasted.

A quick sitdown with Motorola co-CEO Sanjay Jha -- Engadget

I was simply giving you information on what was said at the Motorola presentation at CES. That's where I was told about a maintenance release coming soon followed by 2.1. Take it for what it's worth.

R

Roy Aguilera

I was simply giving you information on what was said at the Motorola presentation at CES. That's where I was told about a maintenance release coming soon followed by 2.1. Take it for what it's worth.

Your info was correct and accurate. We appreciate your sharing it.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Your info was correct and accurate. We appreciate your sharing it.

I would love to see 2.1 hit the Droid ASAP and I understand some thinking it makes no sense to have the maintenance update before 2.1. I live 20 minutes from the Motorola headquarters, I'll take a ride tomorrow and find out for sure. ;) Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad