Droid SD Card Damaged/Corrupted

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I got up this morning and removed my Droid from the media dock. My Pure Calendar widget lost its skin, which happened the other day, so I went and applied the skin again. It flashed on the screen and then the skin was lost. I rebooted the phone and got the damaged SD Card error.

I have never removed the SD card and have roughly 4GB free. I took a couple of videos last night and did not have any issues. I know others have had this issue. Do we know what is causing it?

I have been unable to access the card on my PC by mounting it while in the phone. I will try a card reader tonight, but wanted to get others insight into this.

What is the best way to correct/prevent this? Should I use Windows to format the card or let the Droid do the format? I have seen others use Zero Assumption Data recovery to get the pics and vids off the damaged card. Is this the best way to recover anything on the card? Should I wait to format the card or is it inevitable and I will need to format and then use a recovery tool anyway?

Has anyone gotten VZW to replace the card? I am a week out of my 1 month return period and suspect I will be hassled if I ask for a new card. From what I have read, this is an Android issue across all phones, but am curious if new cards are correcting things.

Thanks in advance.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard much regarding SD Card corruption, but in regards to this:

Has anyone gotten VZW to replace the card? I am a week out of my 1 month return period and suspect I will be hassled if I ask for a new card.

You shouldn't get hassled, your phone has a (1) year warranty...

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I had mine replaced because of problems with it, I did have to show the Verizon tech how to recreate my issue but they went right ahead and replaced it when they saw it.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i just had this issue tonight! i added two songs to my memory card using isyncr which has always been fine. then it said the card was corrupted or something. put it in my computer and it was jacked there too. the pc wouldnt even let me do a system check on the card. so i had to reformat. luckily i have an old backup of the card and a spare one. so now i'm moving all the music again, and hoping this works this time. very frustrating.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't own the same phone as everyone but I just had a problem with my sdcard last week and It been recurring on to phones I have had one was a optimus s and I used the stock card till I got a samsung 16gb class 2 sdcard that was working for about 1 week then I had eject errors for a few days I heard that if you get this error you should format it on the pc and make it a fat 32 .

Then I used the same card in my new evo and bam I was hit with the same problems and I thought maybe I should reformat it again and everything should be fine wrooong lol it started to jam my phone up with in the time I got to my PC so my phone started to bug out and I ended up you a dirty file filled up phone to where I could access my recovery but when I tried to wipe my phone and do a nandroid my phone got stuck in a bootloop.

And when I just got a new sdcard I finagled my way to getting my phone back on but I just was about to load a new rom onto my phone today and get this I had a rom that supported apps 2 SD and I made partitions for this and forgot so when I formatted my sdcard the apps that where on the phone that needed to be there for the apps to run jammed the phone.

and the new rom states that if I want to have apps 2 SD I need to make sure I have partitions on the sdcard before flashing the apps 2 SD hack or else it will corrupt your sdcard so just a guess maybe something happens if your rooted and have the apps 2 SD hack maybe something you downloaded was corrupted and conflicted with how your sdcard runs on your phone.

but sorry for the long story but just a little extra information to know I have been rooting for a while I know the risks but didn't know not having partitions and flashing a rom that uses the apps 2 SD hack and not knowing will corrupt your sdcard sorry for long post just wanted the be detailed on what happend to me :-/

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

myers18111

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a new card and all my problems went away. No matter what I did, the old card would just corrupt itself, sometimes for no reason at all, sometimes when I connected via USB. Then I would have to take it out, put it in a card slot, and reformat it. I did it 100 times. Nothing would fix the old card for use in my HTC Inspire Android. The card seems OK for other stuff.

anon(579430)

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I need help with a corrupted SD card too. I've gotten as far as to get the card to appear as a drive using a usb sd reader, but the capacity for my drive reads as 2.2 TB when it is actually 8GB. I suspect the corruption is due to the app I tried using "App 2SD Pro" but I'm not sure.

I've tried reformatting so I could do data recovery on it but reformatting fails. Duplicating the drive to see if I can detect files isn't an option because I don't have a drive with 2.2 TB tp save to. Any suggestions?

cga

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Galaxy S3 and SanDisk Ultra64 GB mobile SD card
I just got the phone on Sunday and I fit in the SD, I format it, then I copy 59 GB music with Kies

My SD card was working and playing music
I restart the phone and the SD card was gone disappeared, it doesn't mount on the phone

I did the same again, format it, copy music, fit it to the phone, the phone restarted by itself and the card gone again with message SD card damaged

I can format the card in windows PC and copy music but as soon as I restart the phone it doesn't get mounted

No happy with this card

cga

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for old post but perhaps this help others with SD card problems

According to Sandisk I should use this formats below

NOTE: All SanDisk memory cards and flash drives come pre-formatted and do not need to be formatted out of the box. They are formatted with the following standards:
- FAT for 2GB or lower capacity
- FAT32 for 4GB to 32GB capacities
- exFAT for 64GB or higher capacities

I'm using exFAT for 64GB following steps

SOLUTION
1. Back up all data on the card.
2. Format the cardusing the computer.
3. Connect the card back to the Android device.
4. Once the card is recognized, format the card in the Android device.
5. Insert the card into the computer and restore the data.
6. Insert the card into the Android device.

After so many times trying all this week, today I have managed to copy all my music to my SD and I restart the phone several times and it seems to be working fine

I don't know if what I have done differently has just worked

The only thing I have done is formatted the SD card in Windows copy all music to SD card manually by folders without KIES using the Sandisk adapter (I was using another adapter and the SD went mad connecting and disconnecting from the PC), then insert SD in my Galaxy S 3 and I did NOT format it again

Music is playing and I can browse smoothly through music file. I don't get the SD damaged message after restarting phone

I'll keep monitoring the card tomorrow and if it fails again I will send it back to amazon for a refund

It is funny because I bought this card in March and it has been working on my Galaxy S2 since which doesn't support the 64GB card, just got the Galaxy S3 which does support the 64gb card and it has been giving hassle since I put it in