How to wake up a Droid

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I played with a Droid at a store yesterday. It did something that I can't duplicate on my Droid. To wake up my phone, I have to hit the button on top of the phone. The Demo phone waked up just by touching the screen.

Anyjuan know how to do this?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Even if it's plugged in you need to hit the power button I'm guessing since it's a display phone it has the special ability to turn on by pressing the screen. Otherwise most people would have no idea how to turn the phone on and would walk to the next display phone.

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The display phones dont come with any special software or settings. They are phones that would normally be for sale that were put out on display. My guess is its a freak of nature kind of thing. The only thing I could think of is the zip tie they used to secure the phone was too tight and couldve pressed a button on the keyboard when u touched the screen. Otherwise its just the power button and sliding the keyboard out to turn it on.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah this is not something you'd really want under most circumstances. I could see it maybe as a feature that can be toggled via a widget or something, like if you're at home and not gonna put the phone in your pocket at all. But otherwise you'll end up turning the phone on accidentally, opening programs, making calls, and draining your battery if it auto turned on from the screen.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
ah my bad. still you wouldn't want that if it's ever in your pocket or a bag cause any touch will constantly wake the screen and drain your battery. try searching the android market for auto wake apps

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
hmm...I've been using a program called screen stay that gives you the option to bypass the lock screen. Just noticed that after the screen goes out, I can hit the camera button to wake it up. Just tapping the screen doesn't do anything though.

jyew

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
they might have a special demo app?

I thought I saw a (free?) app where you can wake the droid up by shaking it?

I'm sure it's possible..

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The units they have on display in the stores are no different than the ones that are sold. Are you sure the screen just wasn't so dim you could barely tell it was on? People like fool around with the settings with the demo units.