New to this, contact + SMS?

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Droid and I love it, I can't stop playing with it much to my girlfriends anoyance :)

Is there any way to make it so when go to contacts and select the contact that in addition to Call Mobile, Email, or Facebook Profile that I can get a quick SMS option too? I've been spoiled by RIM and the Blackberry OS for a while as well as WinMo before that where this was always standard.

Is there an add-on or different contact manager I can add that allows this? Thanks!

Last edited:

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realize that would open up a different sub-menu by clicking on the pic. That'll come in handy.

No way to add it to the sub-menu though when you touch the actual name? Like a shell addition or anything. I'm very new to Android OS as you can tell so I'm just curious.

cjsteier

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm new the the Android world as well and if you don't mind the cluttered icons on your screen you can create messaging shortcut for anyone by longpressing one of the three home screens and selecting Shortcut and then Direct Message. Or another option would be to create a new folder and put the shortcuts in there also.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just run multiple icons already + widgets and for work purposes its nice to have both e-mail and sms as options for everybody in the Contact field. Its minor, just the one issue I have from switching over from my BB8330. Thanks for the suggestion though I do appreciate it.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so i'm not sure what the problem is now...when you click on their picture one of the icons that pops up is the green messaging icon, which if clicked will allow you to send them an sms/mms.

if you use handcent or chomp, once they are chosen as the default messaging app, they will have an icon there (or maybe even before, i forget)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I get the sms option list for any contact that has any (home, work, cell) number. What happens after you choose a contact? You should get all option (call, sms, email, facebook) to contact this person, that's what I do to email or text.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
so i'm not sure what the problem is now...when you click on their picture one of the icons that pops up is the green messaging icon, which if clicked will allow you to send them an sms/mms.

if you use handcent or chomp, once they are chosen as the default messaging app, they will have an icon there (or maybe even before, i forget)

Basically if I click the picture the full menu is there, if I click their name its lacking the SMS/Text option.

I'll try one of those and see if it resolves it.

I get the sms option list for any contact that has any (home, work, cell) number. What happens after you choose a contact? You should get all option (call, sms, email, facebook) to contact this person, that's what I do to email or text.

I get Call, E-Mail, and Facebook. FWIW I used google sync to bring my contacts over from my Blackberry 8330. Could that be an issue?

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use the shortcut option to do a direct message icon - then longpress the homescreen and create a folder, drop all of the SMS icons into there and you have a 2-touch shortcut to SMS your top 10 or so contatcs and only used up a 1x1 icon space on the hoemscreen.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Look to the right of the call option after clicking on a contact and there is an SMS option. Even if the SMS option isn't highlighted you can still choose it and it will open SMS to that contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781