Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Touch screen not responding on droid

Oh please help...my phone was working fine....but the touch screen suddenly stopped responding. I have taken out the battery...called motorola for help...I have text messages I need to read tonight worth thousands of dollars...what do I do? Is there away around the touch screen?!
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

Try the D-pad
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

If the D-pad is the key pad..I tried. It will let me move from airplane mode to off...but nothing else. How do I get past sliding the arrow on the touch screen to unlock the device?
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

Place a magnet on the back to put it into multimedia mode. Remove the magnet and you should bypass the lock screen. Unless you have a password. Then you are probably screwed.
    Thanked by 3:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Have you tried this? I can't imagine a magnet on the phone is a good idea. (If you put a magnet to a tv screen in ruins the picture )
    Any other ideas?
    Why does this put it in multi media mode?
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SusanHome View Post
    Have you tried this? I can't imagine a magnet on the phone is a good idea. (If you put a magnet to a tv screen in ruins the picture )
    Any other ideas?
    Why does this put it in multi media mode?
    The screen on the Droid is very much different from your typical old tube TV. Yes I have tried the magnet thing and it works. The Droid is designed to have a magnetic field put it into different modes.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,384 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

If you do not have a car dock use the magnet it won't hurt your phone.

by the way.... I think (think) you're able to retrieve text messages from some verizon web site. It might be worth calling verizon to ask.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Verizon can only give you the number the text is from...not the message.
    Thanks!

The car and home docks use magnets to trigger the phone into multimedia or car mode respectively, multimedia mode will bypass the normal slide lock.
    Matt
    --------------------
    Current Phone:Motorola Droid
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    The car and home docks use magnets to trigger the phone into multimedia or car mode respectively, multimedia mode will bypass the normal slide lock.
    After you bypass the normal slide lock with the magnet, you can use your D-pad to navigate to your text message and read it.

have you downloaded anything in recent days> If so delete them and see if that corrects the problem

Use the magnet, it wont hurt plus if your txt are worth thousands of dollars I dont belive trying this solution would do nothing but help.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks. The magnet did unlock the phone...but what a pain trying to navigate around with the keypad. There still must be an easier way. On to my own plan b!

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

what would cause the screen to be unresponsive? any way to just basically copy the contents of one phone and place it on to another? the blackberry is able to do it, just wondering if the droid has anything like it for when i have to get a diff phone.

Na, the droid currently does not support a desktop sync like the ol berry did. All though I think there are some third party software folks hot on the case.

Edit: "Support" wasn't the right word. It should support it, but doesn't come with any software out the door.
    Last edited by thatguychuck; 02-03-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Apps should transfer over to another droid via google sync. data would have to be transferred via micro SD card. Just did it tonight with my new droid. works great

i'd like to know what kind of text messages yhou receive that are worth thousands of dollars...

maybe im not reading this correctly but if your touchscreen doesnt work, go get a new droid, end of story.

I had the same situation. My screen would not move and I was unable to select any icons. Only way to reboot was by removing the battery. Once the phone came back on it was all right anywhere from 30 second to 5 min then would freeze again. I took it into a Verizon store and they did a factory reset on the phone and I haven't had a problem since. They think it may have been due to some program I had installed. Only two things pop into my mind after it started. I had just uninstalled the Dolphin browser as well as did the shift alt delete restart. So on my end I think it was one of those two.
    **Droid does!**

My screen is having the same issue. I've rubbed the charger along the back of the screen & got nothing, is there something I'm doing wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by Monzerelli View Post
    My screen is having the same issue. I've rubbed the charger along the back of the screen & got nothing, is there something I'm doing wrong???
    There is no magnet in the charger.

Find a magnet. Polarity makes a difference. One way will activate car home, the other will enable multimedia mode.
    a little obsessive...

Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    There is no magnet in the charger.

Find a magnet. Polarity makes a difference. One way will activate car home, the other will enable multimedia mode.
    ......these other guys said the chargers worked. I did find a magnet & THAT worked. The issue w/ my screen is that the right side of the screen is unresponsive. Therefore the unlock won't engage to the right side to open/answer calls. Using the on-screen keyboard was hell too, anything to the right of the letter "j" was a no-go. Guess I'll have to keep the magnet around until I get a new phone. This is actually the exact problem I had with my last Droid.....odd how the same problem keeps popping up.

Default Re: Touch screen not responding on droid

How do you navigate through the pages with your d-pad? i tried many buttons and none seem to work, and since my screen doesnt work... i cant check my messages.. any help?
    Thanked by:

Ok I'm new to this but I have an Android tablet which has been working rather well since I received it, but now for some reason the top of my touchscreen all the way across it isn't working. The rest of it works fine. Is there any way to fix this?

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1985 View Post
    Ok I'm new to this but I have an Android tablet which has been working rather well since I received it, but now for some reason the top of my touchscreen all the way across it isn't working. The rest of it works fine. Is there any way to fix this?
    Try posting or searching in the forum that corresponds to your device. You won't get much help on a dead forum like this one.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    HTC Droid DNA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast