Recommendations for stereo headsets with media buttons

KrazyRogue

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I've been having some trouble looking for some good stereo headsets that go inside the ear and have media controls (rewind|play/pause|forward and/or volume control) on the line itself. I found a couple expensive ones but they all seem to cater the iPhone 3GS/iPod touch with the built-in apple chip (thanks apple >:| ) and those will definitely not work on other smartphones like the Droid.
Anybody have any recommendations?

I found this Blackberry headset that fit my needs. I would feel weird with a Blackberry headset and a Motorola Droid but still I wouldn't mind. If only Motorola had a nice pair. All I want to do is have full control of my music while the Droid is in my pocket which is kind of cumbersome to take out to forward the track or something. My question for this is if all the controls would work on the Droid? These are pretty similar to what comes with the Nexus One's.

BlackBerry Premium Multimedia Headset: (please replace xxx with www)
xxx.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Premium-Multimedia-Headset-3-5mm/dp/B002ECE8PK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1265250079&sr=8-1

Thanks.

tj722#AC

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I am also looking for headphones with skip controls that work with the Droid... One of the top things I miss from the iPhone. I will try the BT headphones mentioned above.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I am also looking for headphones with skip controls that work with the Droid... One of the top things I miss from the iPhone. I will try the BT headphones mentioned above.

I use a Jabra BT3030, and it's excellent for music and not too shabby for voice. It's shaped like a dog tag and has full media control functions. What's nice about it is that it lets you plug in any set of earbuds/headphones that have a 3.5mm plug. I highly recommend it, especially for music.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have the MotoRokr S9 stereo bluetooth headphones. They have media buttons, rechargeable battery, AND they can be used for phonecalls. So far, i have only used them at the gym with my ipod touch. I will be getting my droid this saturday, so i plan on testing them with the motorokr headest. Sound quality and battery life is very good. price isn't too bad given the quality.

jaseq

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I would recomend the Motorola S9HD. THEY. ARE. AWESOME.
They have the multimedia functions to play, pause, skip, volume control, etc...
They sound amazing, way better than the older S9 which were already pretty great. Plus as someone else mentioned they also work for phonecalls. Another plus at least for me is that they pair with the DROID perfectly, the connection between these 2 moto products is awesone.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I would recomend the Motorola S9HD. THEY. ARE. AWESOME.
They have the multimedia functions to play, pause, skip, volume control, etc...
They sound amazing, way better than the older S9 which were already pretty great. Plus as someone else mentioned they also work for phonecalls. Another plus at least for me is that they pair with the DROID perfectly, the connection between these 2 moto products is awesone.

Sorry, i didn't have mine on me to read the label, but i dont have the original S9, i also have the newer HD's. They are awesome.

tj722#AC

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to follow up with my experience...

I bought the Plantronics Backbeat BT headset and it does work as far as media buttons are concerned, and the sound quality is acceptable for the price. But when I walk outside, music cuts in and out and is pretty much unusable. Could it be a Droid issue or a headset issue? I'm not sure of the pattern but it seemed to behave really bad when I was in heavily congested (pedestrian and cars) areas.

jaseq

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I bought the Plantronics Backbeat BT headset and it does work as far as media buttons are concerned, and the sound quality is acceptable for the price. But when I walk outside, music cuts in and out and is pretty much unusable. Could it be a Droid issue or a headset issue? I'm not sure of the pattern but it seemed to behave really bad when I was in heavily congested (pedestrian and cars) areas.

Its the connection between them that's causing that...not sure on which end but probably headset. I've had my S9HDs for some time and was originally using them with my BB Storm, however back when I was using them with my Storm I had that problem where it would cut in and out when I was outside. The DROID on the other hand pairs perfectly with the S9HDs. Since I got my DROID I've only had that issue once and for maybe a second at that (this is in NY so lots of congestion). I'm guessing that the pairing of a Motorola with another Motorola is pretty awesome.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Just a heads up but the Motorola S9-HD appear to have reliability issues. I've gone through 3 sets (I paid for 2 and received a third on a warranty replacement). My third set is now not working properly so I have to return these. It's really too bad since they sound great and are comfortable to wear. If you read reviews online you will see this is not an isolated incident.

KrazyRogue

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was actually hoping for wired headsets. I'm not too big on bluetooth headsets at all.

I did look up the Moto ones and they look really cool. But I still wouldn't get them as I prefer wired.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up but the Motorola S9-HD appear to have reliability issues. I've gone through 3 sets (I paid for 2 and received a third on a warranty replacement). My third set is now not working properly so I have to return these. It's really too bad since they sound great and are comfortable to wear. If you read reviews online you will see this is not an isolated incident.

I had similar issues with the standard S9's. Perspiration would get into the buttons and cause them to stop working. On the plus side, Motorola was very good about replacing them each time (four in total). On the minus side, it happened with each pair. I don't know if they fixed the problem with the HD model, but I wasn't willing to shell out money to find out.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was actually hoping for wired headsets. I'm not too big on bluetooth headsets at all.

I did look up the Moto ones and they look really cool. But I still wouldn't get them as I prefer wired.

Check the BT3030's. It's a nice hybrid of both bluetooth and wired. They allow you to use whatever headphones you'd like, while giving you a bit of untethered freedom with a bluetooth connection. You can slip the controller under your shirt and it acts as a great way to buffer out wind and other outside noise. I've seen them on sale as low as $25.

Cirro

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
anyone know if these will work?
BlackBerry Premium Multimedia Stereo Headphones

got them for 15 bucks online so it was like a drop in a bucket for hopes sake

Cirro

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
the other blackberry ear buds i had a center button which would pause/play media and mute/unmute phonecalls so Im hopeful bthe other pair I ripped at work oh well

edit nope all the buttons just play/pause

Last edited:

tj722#AC

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

A follow up to my follow up....

I tried the headset with my old iPhone and I experienced the same issues... Music starts to stutter and cut in and out when I'm walking outside. So, definitely a headset issue. They were also too soft in volume for me. Those got returned.

I ended up finding the program Droidshuffle in the Market and it actually worked with my old iPhone headphones (click to pause, double click to skip, triple click to go back). The author specifically states that it doesn't work with the iPhone headphones but with a little practice, I was able to get it to consistently work. For example, for a "double-click", it is really more like a "<click><wait about a half second><click>". I would imagine other headsets with buttons would work well (or better).

So at least I now don't have to fumble around with my Droid to go forward/backward though tracks--while I continue to look for a better wired/wireless headset! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol