View Poll Results: Have you had issues with the Proximity sensor in call?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, very often

38 33.33%
  • Yes, but not very often

37 32.46%
  • No, not at all

39 34.21%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Proximity sensor issue?

Has anyone had issues with their face ending calls?

Both my wife and I both have Droids, and she kept complaining about the phone hanging up on calls. I've never had that issue on mine, and when I used her phone the other day, it hung up the call from my face touching the end button.

I've since noticed that her phone doesn't always shut off the screen when she is in a call.

So has anyone else had similar issues?
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

I would return it for a new one. Take it back to Verizon.

the only problem i am having is ending the call....my screen does not respond right away after i end the call and go to hang it up

I've only experienced the not responding right away after I end the call, and I've observed this only really happens in broad daylight.

never had any problems, I'd say that's definitely a warranty issue and grounds for no-contest return.

does she use a weird case or maybe even an off brand screen protector?

It might be her hair messing up the sensor? I know that my screen doesn't properly shutoff when on a call if I'm wearing a hoodie or a beanie and have the phone against that, it only seems to react to the skin on my face?

I have many problems with mine...like the screen not waking up etc etc
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

No problems with mine so far. {crossing fingers}
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

She has no case on it, and like I said I've never had the issue with mine, just hers.

Looks like its going back for a replacement.

Thanks all for the responses!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

just angle it from your face or use a blue-tooth that will solve your troubles

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

My wife has this problem sometimes. Hair causes the proximty sensor not to work properly. I seen where she will be on the phone and the screen is still on thus sometimes her cheek pushes the mute or add call. Only remedy so far is she uses the phone on her left side since the sensor is on the left and senses skin better. To make sure it wasn't a faulty phone I used her phone and the sensor works just fine and the screen stayed off while on a call. One time I let my daughter use my phone to talk to my mom and the screen stay lit and she hit the mute button with her cheek. If you google hair and droid you will see other people have similar problems.

The only problem I have had is the phone not waking back up sometimes when I want to hang up a call. It sometime gets the the point where I have to slide the keyboard out in order to get the screen to come back on.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts

No Proximity issues, but, I shave my head. So, no hair.

Quote Originally Posted by DroidRage View Post
    The only problem I have had is the phone not waking back up sometimes when I want to hang up a call. It sometime gets the the point where I have to slide the keyboard out in order to get the screen to come back on.
    THIS, I've had issues with. Or the phone getting a call, ringing and the face not lighting up so I can even answer it.

I've seen some speculate that this has something to do with standby mode. Not coming out of standby right away for incoming calls, and being on a call when the screen "times out," and it's not talking to the sensor anymore. Anyway, not an answer or anything, but food for thought. I've adjusted my timeout settings but haven't played with it enough to notice a difference. Still seems rather random.

I keep my hair buzzed, but I have some problems similar to those mentioned here. I can't always hang up as quickly as I would like because the screen stays dormant too long. So long that I attempt to use the on/off button, which never seems to help... Also, I have trouble answering calls when I'm in bed.

What 3rd party appsssssssssssssssssssssssss????????????????? 95% of the time is 3rd party. is this a android thing where almost no one lists what apps they have installed? worst case reset the phone with no apps and see if it still does it. you know you have a bad phone or bad apps..

I haven't had an issue with it, though I always turn off the screen out of habit from using my old Touch Pro. Talk about crappy proximity sensors and face hang-ups.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I was trying to ignore the problem and say nothing was wrong but I def have an issue. When I'm on the phone I've had it open up the dialpad and my face starts dialing while I'm on the phone. The worst time was hitting speakerphone and not being able to change it back. Maybe I'll try to be more careful with my hair.

My bestest problem is that the screen goes black and if I'm going from a text msg back to the call then my screen blacks out then i turn it back on and then it turns off again.. Or it'll turn off not giving me the chance to end the call... I hope the new update will address this issue. Though I think the blackout screen has been saving the battery. Well I guess time will tell
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

ok peeps its not a problem when you pull the phone away its job is to engage the screen unlock it. what we need is a phone screen lock with slide or something this will b the only fix

Try the Screen Suite app on the android market. Can be configured to auto-lock your screen during a call. Solves the proximity sensor issue
    Thanked by:

My wifes droid does this too but not a hair issue I can cover it with my hand and sometimes the screen goes off sometimes it stays on my droid x always goes off when I cover it so seems to be an issue with the sensor

Angry Droid x proximity problem

Mine DRIVES ME CRAZY. It took me almost 6 weeks to get my third !!! phone and it does it also. It - being ending calls, cheek calling while I am on a call, etc. I figure I am just going to have to live with it- which is the pits for a phone that costs this much. Problem is - I love everything else about it. I ordered it online so I have been dealing with them and it has been a nightmare. VERY UNHAPPY with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by appsbeyond View Post
    Try the Screen Suite app on the android market. Can be configured to auto-lock your screen during a call. Solves the proximity sensor issue
    Thank-you. Works great! I can love my phone again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast