coming from pre to android

ienjoysoup08

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
hey. I'm a palm pre sprint owner, and this phone just can't do what I really want it to do. So I'm going to switch to the android phones. I have some questions I would like to ask about. No I'm not getting a droid. This just seemed like the best place to post this where a lot of people will see it. I'm getting a htc supersonic

ok here are my questions

how do you sync music with android? Do you use double twist

does android have flash with it's web browser?

can you post videos you take with your camcorder strait to youtube?

I know the droid had amazing gps from google maps. Did the nexus 1 have this. I ask because if so then I would think the supersonic will have it too.

does android show texts like aim or stuff. You know how the pre of iphone shows it?

how well do you guys think the multitasking is? And do all android phones have multitasking?

do android phones make good mp3 players because that's what I use my pre for. Does it have a speaker to play outloud for every one.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
how do you sync music with android? Do you use double twist
just create a folder on your sd card and stick your music in it.

does android have flash with it's web browser?
not yet but it's coming. Believe the Eris and Hero support flash lite.

can you post videos you take with your camcorder strait to youtube?
yes.

I know the droid had amazing gps from google maps. Did the nexus 1 have this. I ask because if so then I would think the supersonic will have it too.
Android 1.6+ devices now have google nav so yes the supersonic should include it.

does android show texts like aim or stuff. You know how the pre of iphone shows it?
Threaded messaging? yes

how well do you guys think the multitasking is? And do all android phones have multitasking?
It works well. Just hold the home button and you can switch to one of your 6 most recent apps

do android phones make good mp3 players because that's what I use my pre for. Does it have a speaker to play outloud for every one.
Probably depends on the phone but I'd say it works well as an mp3 player.

ienjoysoup08

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
thank you. But about multitasking, only my 6 recent ones. Would if I'm like playing a game. And I get a text I reply to it. Then I call some one and blah blah I do 4 more things. Does that mean my game is gone? Did it save? Will I be able to pick up where I left off

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
thank you. But about multitasking, only my 6 recent ones. Would if I'm like playing a game. And I get a text I reply to it. Then I call some one and blah blah I do 4 more things. Does that mean my game is gone? Did it save? Will I be able to pick up where I left off

You'll be able to pick up you'll just have to go back to the home screen and relaunch it.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Just tried with a simple game open and then opened 6 apps after that. Tried to go back to the game and it started from the beginning like you had just opened it. Which it probably depends on if it just runs as a service or as an app. I was streaming iheartradio and it kept running even after opening more apps.

Last edited:

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

From what I read, the android OS does an excellent job of memory management. It does this all in the background without you ever knowing. Because of that, it will depend what 6+ apps you're running. If the 6 apps you're running are taking a large amount of system resources I believe it will kill the game because its lower in priority. If the 6 apps are low system resource users, then it should keep it running in the background.

If someone know better please let me know but that is my understanding.

nbobimchak

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
From what I read, the android OS does an excellent job of memory management. It does this all in the background without you ever knowing. Because of that, it will depend what 6+ apps you're running. If the 6 apps you're running are taking a large amount of system resources I believe it will kill the game because its lower in priority. If the 6 apps are low system resource users, then it should keep it running in the background.

If someone know better please let me know but that is my understanding.

Android will save the app's state before it kills it, so if the app is killed off, reloading should bring you fairly closely back to where you left it. Browser pages will need to be reloaded, for instance, but they'll be on the same page. I think it might depend on the game, as far as saving a state, but it probably won't be quite as elegant of a pausing solution as on the Pre. Few things are, really.

ienjoysoup08

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
oh and I have another question. How is the build qualty on htc phones? My pre is breaking the power button does not work like at all.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why you're asking about HTC, Motorola makes the Droid. As far HTC goes though..

I know several people with Hero phones having dust issues under the glass. Also the covers have fallen of of one of my friends Hero's.

My HTC 6800 (windows mobile) was falling apart. My Touch Pro was too.

Battery life typically blows hard with HTC too. They spend too much time adding fancy unnecessary software that looks nice but doesn't function as well as it should. I don't think I'd ever buy an HTC phone again.