Motorola Droid - Text Messages Crossing Threads

movieface333

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a reoccurring problem with my Droid since I purchased it back in November. Intermittently with seemingly no commonality, a text message will cross a thread and be sent to the wrong person. It has also sent a message to the wrong contact that wasn't immediately in the listed threads, but was recently.

Anyone heard of this problem? I've been working with Verizon on this issue. They haven't heard of it and neither has Motorola Tech Support. I'm on my third Droid (2 replacements) and still the problem continues, randomly.

Any help would be great. I've exhausted efforts and am about ready to replace the phone that isn't such a liability.

Great and wonderful phone otherwise! I have friends that absolutely love it too. I wish I could get this fixed to bring my confidence back into the fold while texting friends and co-workers. Thanks!

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
It happens sometimes. It looks like it just sends the message to the wrong person, but it actually doesn't.
Just back out of the messaging app if this happens, and reopen it.
Should be fixed. Happens to me sometimes.

movieface333

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have seen where it looks like it is sending it to the wrong person and have stopped and backed out to fix it. However, I have literally had a message sent to one person go to another. This has happened a number of times randomly.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
If it only looks that way, then its just an annoyance. But if its actually sending them to the wrong people, that could be a serious security issue if you use your droid for work, or you're a gossip crazy teenager.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
So they have confirmed receiving a faulty message?

If so, i'd assume it is a software problem. So you need to contact motorola.
I'd check the numbers of who you meant to send it to and who actually received it, and make sure their not plugged in as the same.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I've never seen the SMS problem yet, but I am a low volume texter, lol.

What I have seen though is sometimes my Droid mashes two of my msn emails together, where I have the text portion of one email and when I press the "show images" button, I get the pictures and email body of a different email in my inbox displayed. :eek:

movieface333

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the posts. For clarification, I am an adult and pretty savvy and am very worried about the wrong texts going to a co-worker and/or friend.

Yes, it seems to be a software problem, that was my guess. I went through VW tech support who sent a new droid thinking it was a hardware problem. Shortly thereafter, the new phone developed the same problem. Another return trip to VW and having my CSR at the store call tech support for me and going through some drills with them, it was elevated to Motorola Tier III Technical Support with a trouble ticket. I called Motorola back on Monday (the first contact was on a sunday) and Motorola said they would need to see the phone and thought it was a verizon issue or how my phone numbers were listed in my contacts (home vs. mobile). No help there.

Finally, Verizon has the policy if you have 3 phones with the same problem they will give you a comparable phone to replace it. Soooo, Droid 3 shows up on my doorstep. Working great until 4 days in the same problem arises. This now, a message sent to one is directed to a previously deleted thread. Weird.

I've reset the phone, looked upside and down at my Gmail contacts to figure out what is going on...thinking somehow it is my contacts being crossed up (which i know isn't likely possible). I haven't done anything unusual to the phone either. Everything is OEM and/or Android Market.

I'm a firm believer in this phone which is awesome and can't see going backwards to something else.

slowhatch

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
this happens to my phone ALL the time. Ill get the notification bar.. with a name and their text and be like wtf... that doesnt sound like something THAT person would say, so i go into text and the name flips to another person.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It happens to me occasionally. Normally I catch it, or it really sends to the correct person, however, today I actually didn't notice I opened the wrong person and it got sent to the wrong person. I was able to easily excuse myself, however.

I think it's similar to the randomly clearing all the messages bug. If you have too many threads/messages running, messaging just has problems.

anon(7773)

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have also had this is issue. The one time she had sent a text from her droid to someone else and I received it on my droid. Luckily it wasn't a text to a boyfriend!

Another time she was trying to send me a text and noticed another contacts pic on the message.

Last edited:

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't really sure of what this thread was really about until tonight, when i received a text that was from (contact 1). But when i opened it, at the top of the thread it said (contact 1) and for each of the received messages in the thread it said (contact 2). I just backed out and re-opened the messaging app. Fixed.

Payne78

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Haven't seen that issue myself. Sounds like a problem with the SMS software. You could try another SMS program like Handcent or something and see if the problem persists.

movieface333

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and ideas as well as good reasons to not have a mistress and a droid. At this point my Droid infatuation has been a guilty sin enough. :) The problem went unglued yesterday and maybe trading in the droid today for a Droid Eris? Anyone?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I have only had the issue where sometimes it will show I received a text from the wrong person. AKA Person 1 and Person two are on my threads list, person 1 sends me a text, but it shows in Person two's thread.

Backing out of the Messaging app and going back in usually fixes it.

kitkat0303

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Me too!

This happens to me every other day just about. I can send a message to person 1 and it shows it sent there in their thread. They never recieve it and then person 2 responds with "What?". Yesterday, I deleted all the threads in my phone. Got a message from hubby and responded. Then I get a confirmation from Facebook that my comment was posted. Husband never got the message though it was there in the thread. Who knows....

dfishman

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had this problem also. Send a text while talking to contact 1 and it ends up being sent to contact 2 from a recently deleted thread. Not good since my phone is both personal and professional with contacts for both.

I was wondering if anyone has tried handcent sms and if they have had the same problem with it.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
This has happen to me I'm a heavy texter I notice it more if I'm tying to answer. Text to fast then open another one . I feel it software issues, I love my droid so been putting up with it till they come out with a fix. If any android user find the answed on a fix or work around please post.

Alan4missy

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have had this same problem and had my phone replaced once and factory reset many times...I was told to stop using the app Handcent and since i stopped I haven't had that problem.

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have always used the built-in messaging apllication (not handcent or anything like that) and I have never run into this problem. Was everyone else that experienced this been using some 3rd party application for messaging?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781