Right way to exit browser?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
So normally I back out of apps, as I'm told this will allow them to shut down when not needed. What, however, is the "right" way to exit the web browser?
If I've got a full page of stuff, should I just hit Home and go about my business? What about animated GIFs and things? Will they keep going, potentially using more battery than necessary?
I've been closing all windows, opening a new Google search page, then backing out from that... but it's kind of a pain.
Suggestions?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I would use a program like Advanced Task Killer, then you can press the home button and then go to the app and kill the process for it and it will shut down.

You can make an "ignore" list for apps you want to run in the background and then it wont kill those, and just kill the rest.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I hit menu then window from there you can close out any open windows but it will reload your home page but at least you'll only have 1 open.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I would use a program like Advanced Task Killer, then you can press the home button and then go to the app and kill the process for it and it will shut down.

You can make an "ignore" list for apps you want to run in the background and then it wont kill those, and just kill the rest.
Except that's not any faster than doing what I'm doing.
I guess I'll just try keeping the number of open windows to a minimum and just hitting the Home.
I really don't like using task killers - gives me WinMo nightmares!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Even closing programs with task killer I believe they will start back up on their own. I used task killer for a couple of months then just stopped and didn't notice any change in performance with my Droid. IMO you don't need task killer.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Yeah, some will run but task killer is an easy way to know its running, and to close it with one click.

So far I have found great use in it, but that is my personal experiences.

freshnezzz#AC

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Even closing programs with task killer I believe they will start back up on their own. I used task killer for a couple of months then just stopped and didn't notice any change in performance with my Droid. IMO you don't need task killer.

1+ I didn't find task killer absolutely necessary, or performance enhancing.

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I ditched task killer. No loss.

I just back out of browser to the homescreen like I do programs...

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Programs use a line of code that calls an exit when it is done running the rest of its given task. Plus Android is linux based which means when something in the background isn't being used there are no CPU cycles going to it and I believe the kernel/operating system pulls all but the required amount of memory to keep it running and uses it elsewhere.

So using a task killer does nothing PLUS now that you have a task killer running in the background killing un needed tasks it is using memory and cycles itself therefore doing more bad then good.

All in all if you just back out of a program like browser using the back button or the home key the program in question will close as soon as it is done doing what it needs to do.

If you guys want a built in alternative to a task killer open your program list hit menu filter then hit running and that will show everything that is running in the background and if you click on an application your can hit force close and that will close it.

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This is not a blackberry. I have found a boost in performance after I stopped using task managers. As for closing the browser, I either hit menu, windows, and close them that way, or just press home. It has not made the slightest difference either way, and sometimes I have quite a few windows open. Man, I love Android. Cheers!

WAM

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
+1 task killer doesn't really do much good (at least it didn't for me) android will probably close the browser for you after a while, if you want you can hit menu then;windows;then close them all, but not really necessary

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
ahhh. thank you for breaking that down for me. im still learning all the ins and outs of the android system and how it works. that was some great information!

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Task killers don't help. Just hit home, I never noticed a difference in battery life when leaving intensive pages "up".

bconley007

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
when i got my droid, the verizon sales person downloaded tasKiller and said i needed it to close programs. i rarely use it and have not noticed any difference in performance or battery usage

clr007

Jan 26, 2010
www.crankin.net
Something about that doesn't sit right with me. I don't think Sales people should be installing anything on people's phones unless you specifically ask them to.

+1.

I didn't like having AT&T and Apple people fiddling with my iPhone when I had it, and don't like Verizon people fiddling with my Droid either. I've taken care to set things up the way I want them on my phone; if these folks feel the need to install apps or add widgets to a homescreen, then they should either buy their own or go play with one of the demo units on the floor.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
+1.

I didn't like having AT&T and Apple people fiddling with my iPhone when I had it, and don't like Verizon people fiddling with my Droid either. I've taken care to set things up the way I want them on my phone; if these folks feel the need to install apps or add widgets to a homescreen, then they should either buy their own or go play with one of the demo units on the floor.

My thoughts exactly, and this goes back pretty far with me. Even before my Droid, I never liked giving up my BlackBerry to a rep for them to toy with. The first thing I would find myself doing is going through EVERYTHING and making sure nothing had been changed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38