Wouldn't it be cool if android users had

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
a android section in their gmail account?

under inbox and buzz maybe?
in this section, you can reply to texts from your computer, see a list of your contacts to manage and installed apps where it can notify you of changes or updates, and manages your paid apps and account.
Also, if they implemented some kind of drop box type situation where you can just drag and drop into a box and it auto syncs to your phone.
It would be like a little android command center. Thoughts?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That would be nice but there could be an issue if someone somehow gets into your email. Now they CNN Dow whatever they want to your phone

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
The Drop Box idea is the only one I really like.

Other then that I agree with thebizz on the privacy and if someone were to get into your stuff.

Plus, you could just get a google voice acct and do texting from the computer :)

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Or google could just release a desktop program that does this in a more private program than being seemlessly attached to gmail.

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
What would be even better is if you have sync settings enabled is you could setup your phone settings on your main computer. I know it might be pointless but imo it would offer a faster setup for us AND if someone steals our phone you can set a new pattern. Would also be useful if someone was using your phone and you knew they were looking through your phone you could remotely lock it if you were near a computer and on the off chance they knew your pattern for some reason you could change it.

clr007

Jan 26, 2010
www.crankin.net
I'd like to have Google add a feature that allows users to remotely turn on GPS and track phone location in real-time from their GMail account on the web. (Something similar to Latitude, but not able to be deactivated from the phone handset itself.) This would be very nice to have in the event that the phone is stolen.

If you wanted to go a step or two further, an option to remotely activate the phone's camera and/or microphone silently from your GMail account might be a nice additional touch. If your phone was stolen, you could then see what's happening in real time.

I'd also like to see remote wipe capabilities added in to the OS and supported from GMail accounts.

I'd also like to see a way to remotely "lock down" the phone to only allow it to call/receive calls from certain numbers, along with preventing users from launching certain user-specified applications (like the Settings app). This would be very handy if the phone was stolen; you could essentially turn it into a useless brick remotely.

I echo other users' thoughts about a way to change the unlock pattern remotely as well.

Of course, there are a whole lot of privacy concerns around these types of features-- and rightly so. This would need to be implemented in a way that only the GMail account holder could access this feature set... I'd also like to have some way of having the phone alert me that these features were being accessed too, in the event that someone gains access to my GMail account and decides to try to start having some "fun".

ptfd13

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to have Google add a feature that allows users to remotely turn on GPS and track phone location in real-time from their GMail account on the web. (Something similar to Latitude, but not able to be deactivated from the phone handset itself.) This would be very nice to have in the event that the phone is stolen.

If you wanted to go a step or two further, an option to remotely activate the phone's camera and/or microphone silently from your GMail account might be a nice additional touch. If your phone was stolen, you could then see what's happening in real time.

I'd also like to see remote wipe capabilities added in to the OS and supported from GMail accounts.

I'd also like to see a way to remotely "lock down" the phone to only allow it to call/receive calls from certain numbers, along with preventing users from launching certain user-specified applications (like the Settings app). This would be very handy if the phone was stolen; you could essentially turn it into a useless brick remotely.

I echo other users' thoughts about a way to change the unlock pattern remotely as well.

Of course, there are a whole lot of privacy concerns around these types of features-- and rightly so. This would need to be implemented in a way that only the GMail account holder could access this feature set... I'd also like to have some way of having the phone alert me that these features were being accessed too, in the event that someone gains access to my GMail account and decides to try to start having some "fun".

Look at either mobile defense or smrtguard in the market. Both have the ability to remotly track and lock down your phone. I believe that smrtguard can even activate your mic so you can listen to what is going on. (At least on the blackberry version you could.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma