Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Quake 3 on Droid, how to make this work

kwaak3 - Project Hosting on Google Code

Phone does not need to be rooted or anything, this all works on a bone stock droid.
    If anything here is wrong, please correct me.

on you phone, create:
    a new folder named "quake3" at the sd card. /sdcard/quake3
    a new folder in that one named "baseq3". /sdcard/quake3/baseq3
    The above steps can be done with Astro, a file management app available on the market.

On your droid, go to http://code.google.com/p/kwaak3/ and download the kwaak3.apk and run the installer on the phone.

pak0.pk3 is either on the quake3:arena cd if you still have one, or available in the demo.
    http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quak...e_section=demo
    once you install that on your pc, you'll have a pak0.pk3 file in the structure of the quake 3 arena folder.

Also, download and install the 1.32 patch:
    http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quak...ection=updates
    and grab pak1-pak8.

Plug the droid into your pc and mount the sd card when promptedon the droid.
    Copy all of the pak files into the baseq3 folder on the droid.

Disconnect and run kwaak3.

**Please note, I did this with an original quake3 cd, so im assuming it works with the demo, but i havent tested that method personally.

I didn't read the instructions thoroughly on your link, but as far as creating a folder on your SD card, that can be done from your phone using Astro File Manager
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have that, but the create new option is greyed out, can you not make new folders at the root level?

It sounds like the path needs to be /quake3/<whatever>

or when they say the root of the SDcard, does that mean /SDcard/quake3/<whatever>

pak0.pk3....#%@(!&(^*(!

to answer your question it think it would be /quake3/...

open Astro and click Home. then hit your options button and Astro will show you 6 options, choose New, and then Directory. i just did it on mine and it was fine. now about that pak0.pk3 file...

well i found a demo i'm downloading right now. hope it has the files...i so am getting in trouble for this...
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,160 Global Posts

lol. It was pretty simple to do. Needed a CD key, though. :-/ I'll have instructions and video up on the site later today.

yeah it was simple...but i suk apparently lol

game runs great tho!

is there any way to get a cd key? i didnt buy the original game and in all seriousness come on the game came out over 10 years ago how can you get one

is there anyway to not have to enter the cd key every time. and amayes, i would give google a shot.

edit: forget the cd key, just hit back on the screen and you'll be in.
    edit: can't get any work done now...

Wow, awesome find. Had it up and running in about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    lol. It was pretty simple to do. Needed a CD key, though. :-/ I'll have instructions and video up on the site later today.
    I did it and didnt need a CD key. I used the Demo download. It asks for one, but I just hit next or whatever it says there at the bottom right.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

It looks pretty cool but the controls are horrible.

hit enter to get past the cd key thing

wow this is awesome! the controls are hard to get used to but this works really well for it being on a phone.

Hey guys I'm glad you got it running, but does anyone care to give some n00b step-by-step instructions? The instructions that are posted leave a lot to be desired. Thanks.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

on you phone, create:
    a new folder named "quake3" at the sd card. /sdcard/quake3
    a new folder in that one named "baseq3". /sdcard/quake3/baseq3
    The above steps can be done with Astro, a file management app available on the market.

On your droid, go to kwaak3 - Project Hosting on Google Code and download the kwaak3.apk and run the installer on the phone.

pak0.pk3 is either on the quake3:arena cd if you still have one, or available in the demo.
    id Software: Quake III Arena
    once you install that on your pc, you'll have a pak0.pk3 file in the structure of the quake 3 arena folder.

and grab pak1-pak8.

Plug the droid into your pc and mount the sd card when promptedon the droid.
    Copy all of the pak files into the baseq3 folder on the droid.

Disconnect and run kwaak3.

Please note, I did this with an original quake3 cd, so im assuming it works with the demo, but i havent tested that method personally. I also copied this into the fron page post.
    nox
    Retired Super Moderator

Global Posts
    1,370 Global Posts

Would someone mind uploading the pak0.pk3 file with the updated pak1-pak8 files?
    It would make it easier to download the files than installing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeOlivera View Post
    Would someone mind uploading the pak0.pk3 file with the updated pak1-pak8 files?
    It would make it easier to download the files than installing the game.
    This please stupid quake site looks like it limits your DL speed im at 15KBs.... booo says 1 hour to dl a 46 mb file. F(*k that haha.

went to the pc world site instead much faster DL there... and the update from quakeunity

and grab pak1 thru pak8.

Actually, you don't need to install the Demo or the 1.32 patch. Download and install Universal Extractor, which I really like anyway as a compressed file extractor. The website is Universal Extractor | LegRoom.net . You can unpack the Demo and 1.32 downloads with out installing them to your PC. Once unpacked, just search for the files mentioned in this thread.

**Be Warned**

If you install this, going to the bathroom at work with droid in hand will result in an hour of lost productivity. and ppl will ask u all sorts of questions about your absence...

Will this work on the Eris as well? Sorry for invading your side of the forums

as long as you're running 1.6, however the decreased specs may mean it's not as smooth - according to the dev's site

Is it "Legal" to post a zip file of all the stuff needed to get this going? I made one up but I haven't posted it yet because I wasn't sure about that.

beats me, which is why i haven't posted either. i would think so, because I came across all those files freely and not through any 'illegal' channels. care to find out? ^_^

That is true, I didn't obtain any of this stuff illegally... I'll post the Zip with instructions inside. Mods, if you don't think this is OK to have here, please delete and please don't ban me lol!

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast