Droid in the sun.... is horrible

KQ

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The droid in the sun is HORRIBLE! You can't see the screen at all. Im not talking about direct sunlight. Even with an overcast of some sort you still cant see the screen. I tried screen brightness and such with no luck. Coming from a BBcurve to the droid was great until I went outside. My ipod touch is great in the sun, the curve as well. but the droid horrible. Is there someway to fix this, with a screen protector of some sort. Does anyone know if the the Nexus One have this problem. I still have a few days left before Im no longer able to return the phone, so may exchange it for another android phone if this problem is really only with the motodroid. TIA

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I found an app that is helpful, not perfect. But, a help in bright sun..

Free in market, called "FastBright"

You select what happens when you press the icon. Then put the icon on your home screen, way down in the corner, where you know where it is even if the screen is totally unreadable (in the sunlght). One tap on the icon and the screen goes to your preset brightness you programmed (I use 100%). Then after you do what you want and put the device back to sleep, it will turn on next ime at the regular brightness.

I agree, the Droid sucks in the sun. For some reason the glass, the angle, whatever makes it impossible to see a thing. Forget about it if your wearing polarized glasses - even worse. This was not that big an issue with my Blackberry, sure, there was glare - but, this thing is 100% useless in any type of outdoor daytime use.

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I must disagree, I think it is actually pretty good in direct sunlight, I can see my screen pretty well when the screen is on full brightness

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you think the Droid is bad you should have seen my HTC 6800. The Droid is at least useable. You just. Couldn't see the screen on the HTC.

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I switch back and forth between auto brightness on and off.
Does anyone know if there is a widget that toggles the auto brightness feature?

ridavid81

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
droid is decent in the sun. not sure what people are talking about. my friends iphone is about the same as my droid in the sun.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have problems with my Droid in the sun, but I just chalk it up to my extremely sensitive eyes and having to squint outside all the time.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I switch back and forth between auto brightness on and off.
Does anyone know if there is a widget that toggles the auto brightness feature?

The Power Control widget that is stock on the phone allows you to toggle brightness.

I agree with the others, the droid is fine, if not good in the sun if the brightness is turned up or on auto.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
The Power Control widget that is stock on the phone allows you to toggle brightness.

I agree with the others, the droid is fine, if not good in the sun if the brightness is turned up or on auto.

The power control widget is definitely the cure all for screen brightness. if your not using it, I can understand why you might think it is bad. But Once you turn on the screen brightness the Droid is great in all situations (power hog).

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Most electronic devices do poorly in the sun, including GPSs. We have a Garmin 76C color GPS on our sailboat and despite the fact that it's intended to be used outdoors, the screen can be difficult to read unless it's shaded. Most devices just don't seem able to generate the necessary contrast.

Yesterday I used my Droid and My Tracks to set up a walking route and had no problem reading it, but I was partially shaded.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I also think screens vary from Droid to Droid. My buddy just bought a Droid from Amazon and comparing screens side-by-side, mine is much brighter (brightness levels on both turned all the way up), and white. His screen has more of a yellowish tint while mine has more of a bluish tint. Something you wouldn't notice if you weren't comparing them side-by-side. Mine also looks a lot better outdoors than his does.

cdaiscool#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Just as the person above me stated, use the power widget and set it on the top or bottom. Then, if you can't see it, just scroll all the way over to wherever you put the widget, press the general location where the widget is, and press. After (maximum) 2 presses, you can see again!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had trouble with mine in direct sunlight, but like Cory pointed out I think the screens vary from Droid to Droid for some reason. My replacement, which is the one I am on now seems to be slightly brighter than my original with a lot more depth in blacks and dark blues.

xocarrie

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. Walking to and from classes, it's impossible to text unless I cut through a building and get out of the sunlight. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that power app. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20