New droid user switched for Storm2....have few concerns...

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
New droid user switched from Storm2....have few concerns...

Hi all,

I have been reading the forum for some time now and it is a great source of information that you all provide here.

I have only had 2 days on the droid yet.

1)The speaker on my droid keeps on making this popping sound, since I keep it either silent or vibrate....I think what happens is that the speaker gets activated but since there is no ring assigned to it, it just makes this popping sound. Has anyone else noticed that. It is loud and annoying.

2) So the local email app does not sync the sub folders from the outlook exchange? I have downloaded the trial version of Touchdown but that doesn't do it either. I don't know if the purchased copy of Touchdown would do it or not?

3) I wanted to use something similar to profiles in BB and I read a lot about it, since that was one of the main things keeping me with BB. I heard there is a program "locale" that allows to do that? I have tried to find the any description of the app but haven't got a satisfactory answer. Does anyone know if it would work or not?

4) I am a very moderate user and the battery did not last me a whole day after a full charge.

5) The bluetooth profile does not have an option to prompt to connect to a device which is annoying since I don't always want to connect if I have connected before.

I need to make my decision to either keep the droid or go back to storm2 in a week. I really like all the internet using apps on droid since there is no comparison. I would like to keep it but I feel that the maturity of some business apps is not there, yet.................

All your input is really appreciated............

Last edited:

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
oh and another thing. I find the ear piece volume to be very loud even though I have turned it all the way low............is there a way in the system configuration to lower the volume further??

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
On #2 -- If you open your email, click on the menu key (I think that what it is called -- The one between the "back" and the "home" buttons at the bottom of your Droid) you will see a menu pop up. Click on folders, and you can go into what ever folder you want. I have several folders: Trash, Sent, outbox, drafts, nav, Junk E-mail, and Inbox.

Once you enter any of those folders, they should automatically sync for you.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
On 4), remember, you are not on blackberry anymore, which is designed for stellar battery life. The droid, thanks to its display and faster processor, will indeed suck battery. I average 12 hours of moderate use, 16 of light use. I always have to charge it every night.

anon(4712533)

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
on #3 for profiles are you talking about setting up different ringtones for your contacts? If so all you have to do is go into your contacts select one tap on the menu button then tap on options and you can select a ringtone for that person.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you this, the battery usage will improve over time. My phone is at 90%, been off the charger since 10 am and it is now 3 PM. I've made a few calls, text messages, used Twidroid for a bit and went to a few websites.

Can't help you with the others as they haven't come up for me but the speaker issue could be a problem with the phone itself.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site

1)The speaker on my droid keeps on making this popping sound, since I keep it either silent or vibrate....I think what happens is that the speaker gets activated but since there is no ring assigned to it, it just makes this popping sound. Has anyone else noticed that. It is loud and annoying.
never heard a popping from mine

3) I wanted to use something similar to profiles in BB and I read a lot about it, since that was one of the main things keeping me with BB. I heard there is a program "locale" that allows to do that? I have tried to find the any description of the app but haven't got a satisfactory answer. Does anyone know if it would work or not?
I haven't used locale, I use Setting Profiles, which is similar, but both apps set up profiles based on locations or events, for a better description here is the companies official website

Locale for Android

4) I am a very moderate user and the battery did not last me a whole day after a full charge.

Same here, working with various settings such as Auto-Brightness, turning bluetooth, wifi, and gps when not in use does effect the battery

5) The bluetooth profile does not have an option to prompt to connect to a device which is annoying since I don't always want to connect if I have connected before.

Using the widget "Power Control" or purchasing Beautiful Widgets, and using the Bluetooth Toggle can help with that, I have those same issues.

Alternatively, using the app Setting Profiles, I have a Profile to turn on Bluetooth only when my Droid is in the car dock

G

GenericMessage

I have been reading the forum for some time now and it is a great source of information that you all provide here.

I have only had 2 days on the droid yet.

Defect, get it checked

Check and see how many programs you're using. Also make sure your WIFI/GPS/BRIGHTNESS/BACKGROUND SYNC/BLUETOOTH, aren't all on all the time

Just turn your bluetooth device off? This is a function of the device, not the Droid.

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
On #2 -- If you open your email, click on the menu key (I think that what it is called -- The one between the "back" and the "home" buttons at the bottom of your Droid) you will see a menu pop up. Click on folders, and you can go into what ever folder you want. I have several folders: Trash, Sent, outbox, drafts, nav, Junk E-mail, and Inbox.

Once you enter any of those folders, they should automatically sync for you.

Thank you that worked. But do I have to go in those folders manually to read my mail, since the main folder is still Inbox and its only showing messages from Inbox?

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
on #3 for profiles are you talking about setting up different ringtones for your contacts? If so all you have to do is go into your contacts select one tap on the menu button then tap on options and you can select a ringtone for that person.

I actually want to set some of the contacts to silent under a profile but there is no profiling available atleast with the local apps. But if I want to go set a contact to "silent" even that option does not show up, it only shows me the ringtones.................

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Same here, working with various settings such as Auto-Brightness, turning bluetooth, wifi, and gps when not in use does effect the battery

Sounds good. Thanks I will try to optimize these settings.

Using the widget "Power Control" or purchasing Beautiful Widgets, and using the Bluetooth Toggle can help with that, I have those same issues.

Alternatively, using the app Setting Profiles, I have a Profile to turn on Bluetooth only when my Droid is in the car dock[/QUOTE]

Probably will get one of these apps for better optimizations

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Just turn your bluetooth device off? This is a function of the device, not the Droid.[/QUOTE]

This what I do now.............its just annoying to in have to turn it off :)

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site

Sounds good. Thanks I will try to optimize these settings.

Alternatively, using the app Setting Profiles, I have a Profile to turn on Bluetooth only when my Droid is in the car dock

Probably will get one of these apps for better optimizations[/QUOTE]

Before you go buying up a bunch diff apps, keep in mind, your droid already has the power control widget, in a 4x1 bar, beautiful widgets has smaller 1x1 widget toggles, and if you decide to purchase a profiler like locale or setting profiles (which both can change profiles for specifc contacts) both of those apps can access those customizations like bluetooth, wifi, auto-brightness, ect. based on locations and events, even times

skagen

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Probably will get one of these apps for better optimizations

Before you go buying up a bunch diff apps, keep in mind, your droid already has the power control widget, in a 4x1 bar, beautiful widgets has smaller 1x1 widget toggles, and if you decide to purchase a profiler like locale or setting profiles (which both can change profiles for specifc contacts) both of those apps can access those customizations like bluetooth, wifi, auto-brightness, ect. based on locations and events, even times[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks...........even though I am mostly snooping around for free apps but if I were to buy one it would be locale. Once again thanks for the heads up.

so far on my list...............
Touch down
Locale

Though I am seriously considering of returning droid, which I have to do anyways for the speaker popping noise, and instead of getting the same back may be wait for the Nexus on verizon.............any thoughts on that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance