screen protectors

specops2k3

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Does the Droid really need a screen protector or does the gorilla glass protect it from scratches and wear good enough? if not what is the best screen protector for it?

FrankTheTank369#AC

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a screen protector but after that started to get worn down after using it for months I got rid of it and haven't used a screen protector since. I think The Boy Genius report shows a video showing the sturdiness of Gorilla Glass by using a window breaker thingy and not even a dent in the screen so I'm pretty sure that you won't get any scratches or dents.

Now if you plan on dropping it down the stairs then that's a different story.

aliahlewis

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I suggest you to have screen protector because it helps to protect the screen from accidental damages. Though it's matter of preference I use screen protector for almost all device including my PC, iPad, iPhone and droid of course.

Last edited:

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Does the Droid really need a screen protector or does the gorilla glass protect it from scratches and wear good enough? if not what is the best screen protector for it?
Its a personal judgment call that you need to make for yourself.

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant. It is not, however, unscratchable as some Droid owners have discovered the hard way.

Don't assume that the video using the key is the end-all-be-all of scratch resistance testing. Brass keys are softer than glass and won't scratch it, IIRC.

"Best" is always subjective no matter what you're asking about. There are a lot of threads out there on the web on various screen protectors. I personally like the Steinheil Crystal (was former a fan of the Invisible Shield). YMMV though.

Last edited:

droidmike

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Like previously stated. The glass although scratch resistant it is not scratch proof. I have personally seen one with a few hairline scratches and if that would have been my device that would have driven me nuts. I personally use Invisible Shield and love it. One of the things I love the most is that they have a kiosk at my neighborhood mall and if mine starts looking bad I just go there and they replace it with a brand new one at no charge.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like the way screen protectors felt when I used them on my Storm. They had more friction to them as compared to sliding your finger on glass. I eventually stopped using screen protectors on my Storm and never got a single scratch.

This time around, I elected to forgo screen protectors on the Droid from the beginning. It was king of funny because the VZW rep was trying to sell me some and telling me how important they are. I told him about my experience with them and that I didn't want any, so he dropped the issue. Later, the rep working next to him was selling an Eris to someone. He told that person that the Moto Droid didn't really need screen protectors because of the Gorilla Glass, but he recommended using them for the Eris. :D

Just today, though, I thought about the possibility of adding a screen cover if it offered glare reduction. That is something that is lacking on the Droid screen, I think. It has no resistance to glare and, thus is virtually impossible to read in sunlight, I think. On the other hand, the lack of any anit-glare coating certainly makes that glass much easier to clean.

-SR-

PS: Anyone know if there are Droid screen protectors that claim to reduce glare?

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like the way screen protectors felt when I used them on my Storm. They had more friction to them as compared to sliding your finger on glass. I eventually stopped using screen protectors on my Storm and never got a single scratch.

This time around, I elected to forgo screen protectors on the Droid from the beginning. It was king of funny because the VZW rep was trying to sell me some and telling me how important they are. I told him about my experience with them and that I didn't want any, so he dropped the issue. Later, the rep working next to him was selling an Eris to someone. He told that person that the Moto Droid didn't really need screen protectors because of the Gorilla Glass, but he recommended using them for the Eris. :D

Just today, though, I thought about the possibility of adding a screen cover if it offered glare reduction. That is something that is lacking on the Droid screen, I think. It has no resistance to glare and, thus is virtually impossible to read in sunlight, I think. On the other hand, the lack of any anit-glare coating certainly makes that glass much easier to clean.

-SR-

PS: Anyone know if there are Droid screen protectors that claim to reduce glare?

I use the invisible shield on my droid, but took off everything except for the glass protector, and always figured its probably harder to see the screen with the protector on than if I didn't have a protector in at all..

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I had a screen protector.. The chick at the store put it on and I was never able to get the bubbles out. Then the one corner started peeling... So I got mad and took it off. I haven't look back since.

I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but I think typing on the vitrual keyboard is a lot better without it.

droidmike

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a screen protector.. The chick at the store put it on and I was never able to get the bubbles out. Then the one corner started peeling... So I got mad and took it off. I haven't look back since.

I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but I think typing on the vitrual keyboard is a lot better without it.
Really? I haven't had any issues typing with mine on. The only issue is that the screen is much clearer with out any protection on it. I would just be livid in I accidentally got a scratch on my screen.

dst255

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
For those looking for anti-glare, boxwave has them. I just ordered one along with a black metal case.

Yup got the Boxwave anti-glare screen protector. It has helped in direct sunlight, but I mainly just love the feel of it, and I have no fingerprints or smears on the screen protector.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
For me, its like using a condom!

It feels better without one, but you always want to be protected!

Right now I'm running bear-back with my Droid, and no problems!