Getting replacement droid...questions..

Jmurr187

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had my moto droid for about 2 months now and a few things are starting to go wrong with it. Not that I'm saying its a bad phone, but to make a long story short - i think there are some manufacturer's defects occurring with the phone. (please disregard this if you're looking to purchase this phone.. it's awesome!)
My question to you guys is - Will all my data that's on my phone now be transferred to my new one? I know my contacts are saved on my sd card but how about my apps? especially the ones that I payed for? I went to "manage applications" and i couldn't anything that would let me export to sd card.
Any response would be appreciated.
-Jmurr

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure you look over your certified like-new phone closely. Read my experience under there thread "Droid died yesterday"

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had my moto droid for about 2 months now and a few things are starting to go wrong with it. Not that I'm saying its a bad phone, but to make a long story short - i think there are some manufacturer's defects occurring with the phone. (please disregard this if you're looking to purchase this phone.. it's awesome!)
My question to you guys is - Will all my data that's on my phone now be transferred to my new one? I know my contacts are saved on my sd card but how about my apps? especially the ones that I payed for? I went to "manage applications" and i couldn't anything that would let me export to sd card.
Any response would be appreciated.
-Jmurr

What manufacturer's defects, out of curiosity?

Jmurr187

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure you look over your certified like-new phone closely. Read my experience under there thread "Droid died yesterday"
Wow that is absolutely ridiculous, but I'm actually not surprised that you were having difficulty at the store. I've been through somewhere around 15 different cell phones since I walked home with my first one. I feel the people that work at the verizon stores know absolutely nothing about what they need to do so they just make up some bullsh*t excuse every time you go in there with a problem. This phone that I'm talking in my post was actually my second phone, so this new one (thats in the mail) will be my 3rd droid. So I probably had the same thing you were talking about. They are just taking these phones and putting them in the packaging and selling the as this useless "like-new" garbage. I actually had to go to 2 different stores and call the service line inbetween because the guys were making up some stupid excuse that they couldnt issue me a new phone. I've honestly had the last of my problems with verizon and if anything, and i really mean anything, looks or goes wrong with this I'm going to rage in the store and ask for a meeting with the regional manager. It's not like the freakin things are cheap and we don't use them that often, we a lot of money and should get the things we pay for in full.
I'm not saying the phones are bad in any way..(the droid is the best phone I've ever had!).. every technological device that is being mass produced is going to have a few bad makes, which is acceptable, but for verizon to take advantage of people like this is completely out of the question.

Jmurr187

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
What manufacturer's defects, out of curiosity?
Just off the top of my head-
People couldnt hear me so i would have to scream into the phone
alarm clock only went off half the time
apps would constantly force close (i mean the ones that come on the phone stock)
I would unplug the charger and my home screens were siped of my widgets and shortcuts.

If you didnt read the post above, this was actually a "certified like-new" phone so I'm pretty sure someone else had the problem and they just resold me the phone..

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
When I've moved from android phone to android phone(switched models) I went to the market and my downloads, my paid apps were there but no other apps that I had previously downloaded which was a bummer but at least I got the paid ones back.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You know... I'm starting to hear more and more negative stuff regarding "refurbed" Droids. It's not just one guy who's picky. It seems to be pretty much across the board.

I've always had a pretty high opinion of Verizon's refurbed devices. But, I'm starting to change my mind.

Seriously, one poor guy (some other thread) went thru (I think) 4 different Droids that had BASIC hardware problems (!!!).

What is verizon doing? Just putting returned phones back in a case and calling them "refurbed"? This is a lesson for all of us - If you require a warranty replacement - be aggressive with the rep at the store and THOROUGHLY inspect the device you're given. DO NOT accept jacked up "refurbed" Droids. It seems to be common practice to get junked Droids and call them "like new".

Sad, Verizon USED to have at least decent customer service. They sure are slipping lately.

PS: By the way, your downloaded apps are saved on your google account under the user name. Just get the new device and log in to your gmail account, then access market and hit the "download" button (only for PAID apps, free ones require the nandroid or other back up). However, if you install the app via a back up, then marlet doesn't know it's installed on the device and you won't get OTA app upgrades. Best bet, just get out a good old fashioned pen and paper and write down all of the apps installed and then just re-download them on the new device. It's a pain in the neck. But, it takes what? 10 minutes.

Last edited:

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
You know... I'm starting to hear more and more negative stuff regarding "refurbed" Droids. It's not just one guy who's picky. It seems to be pretty much across the board.

I've always had a pretty high opinion of Verizon's refurbed devices. But, I'm starting to change my mind.

Seriously, one poor guy (some other thread) went thru (I think) 4 different Droids that had BASIC hardware problems (!!!).

What is verizon doing? Just putting returned phones back in a case and calling them "refurbed"? This is a lesson for all of us - If you require a warranty replacement - be aggressive with the rep at the store and THOROUGHLY inspect the device you're given. DO NOT accept jacked up "refurbed" Droids. It seems to be common practice to get junked Droids and call them "like new".

Sad, Verizon USED to have at least decent customer service. They sure are slipping lately.

I agree..I always got quality refurbs from Verizon, luckily I haven't had to get a refurb droid yet.

Jmurr187

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I got my "like-new" droid in the mail - it came in a cardboard box taped together with verizon stickers all of it and it said "certified like-new" with a list of tests that it passed. the first thing i thought was that i got a phone that someone else had once owned and got repaired. As i was looking around the phone, i thought maybe this is new, its in perfect condition and extraordinarily clean.. but then i found that they didnt even take the f****** screen protector off the thing from the previous owner.
Verizon.. are you serious?????

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I got my "like-new" droid in the mail - it came in a cardboard box taped together with verizon stickers all of it and it said "certified like-new" with a list of tests that it passed. the first thing i thought was that i got a phone that someone else had once owned and got repaired. As i was looking around the phone, i thought maybe this is new, its in perfect condition and extraordinarily clean.. but then i found that they didnt even take the f****** screen protector off the thing from the previous owner.

Wow.... Just, wow.

Seriously!?! They left the screen protector on, that's amazing. Why not just tape a post it note saying "good luck, you'll need it."

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
OMG all these horror stories about getting replacements is really freaking me out now.. I have to replace my Droid.

I don't know what else to do. I can't get it to turn on. It gets to the Moto logo and then black. It turns itself on sometimes, but just goes black again. I want to reset it and unroot it, but I can't get it on long enough to do it.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
OMG all these horror stories about getting replacements is really freaking me out now.. I have to replace my Droid.

I don't know what else to do. I can't get it to turn on. It gets to the Moto logo and then black. It turns itself on sometimes, but just goes black again. I want to reset it and unroot it, but I can't get it on long enough to do it.

well, then niether can they. You're worried about returning it and them finding out it's rooted and thus voidied warranty and no replacement.

That's a sticky subject. But, if it's totally fried and you can't even boot into recovery then Verizon won't be able to do it either.

If they miss something as obvious as a screen protector - do you think they'll figure out you're rooted? I doubt it.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well I got a "certified like new' replacement and I have had ZERO issues. The slide is great, the keyboard is fab, the overall performance is wonderful. I was worried about getting a replacement because of my previous disasters with the Storm and Tour but it's been 3 weeks with my replacement and so far so good.

droidmike

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I got a "certified like new' replacement and I have had ZERO issues. The slide is great, the keyboard is fab, the overall performance is wonderful. I was worried about getting a replacement because of my previous disasters with the Storm and Tour but it's been 3 weeks with my replacement and so far so good.
Taeisme,
I was so glad to hear you say this. I purchased a case from a Verizon corporate store and it immediately scratched my phone. Since it was a product that they sold that damaged my phone they agreed to send me a "certified like new" phone as a replacement. I'm supposed to receive it on Wednesday and I just hope that I'm as lucky as you and get a good one.
Got a question for you...did yours come with all the factory plastics? I'm mainly worried about the plastic "sticker" on the back of the keyboard. I personally prefer how it feels with it on and I'm really hoping that the one I get has it. Thanks.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

LOL...I wonder if you got my first phone! I had a screen protector on it! Actually, my third had one as well...maybe you got that one instead. I hope your like-new phone works out for you.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Taeisme,
I was so glad to hear you say this. I purchased a case from a Verizon corporate store and it immediately scratched my phone. Since it was a product that they sold that damaged my phone they agreed to send me a "certified like new" phone as a replacement. I'm supposed to receive it on Wednesday and I just hope that I'm as lucky as you and get a good one.
Got a question for you...did yours come with all the factory plastics? I'm mainly worried about the plastic "sticker" on the back of the keyboard. I personally prefer how it feels with it on and I'm really hoping that the one I get has it. Thanks.

All refurbs that I seen (which is quite a few!) have the factory plastic on them. But to put one over a screen protector is pathetic on vzw side. I hope some vzw reps read some of these threads.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Don't get freaked out, remember the majority of people who post to the Internet post with negative experiences; there are a lot more people who never post anything who have great experiences.

The one where they never even removed the screen protector was clearly an anomaly and not the norm.

Having had to do this a few times myself (not a Droid yet, but a couple LG Voyagers and a BB), and talked to many people on the web who have had experience doing so, here are my tips

1. NEVER EVER get a replacement from the store. Always call CS and have them mail you one. Takes linger but less likely to get a faulty one

2. Look the phone over very carefully, turn it on check for other customer data etc (never had this problem, but good to check anyway), check the sticker on the back where the ESN is and make sure they did not pit one sticker over another.

3. As for the "certified like new" sticker on the screen, not all refurbs have this and I have actually had better experiences with ones that did not say that specifically (all come in plain brown boxes)

4 VZW Policy: If you have had the phone less than 30 days you are entitled to a NEW (as in retail box) replacement, INSIST ON IT

5. VZW Policy: If you have had the same phone replaced 3x in 90 days then you are also entitled to a NEW phone or to swap for a different model (again push this since some reps don't want to honor it)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish