Call buttons

austink

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this is a dumb question, but from the photos this phone does not have dedicated call "send" and call "end" buttons. I am considering switching from Blackberry, and I can deal with hitting the screen to end a call. However, it seems like an unnecessary step to have to find the icon on the home screen to make a call. Is there going to be some sort of shortcut for going to the phone? Or a shortcut to go straight to the favorite contacts list? (i.e. hitting the home button twice or something like that). Are there any other Android phones without the call buttons?

Also, it would be nice if this had a trackpad or trackball.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the Eris is supposed to be the Veizon version of the Hero. but yea, now that you mention it, the phone in that picture has no call buttons either...

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so many names...i always thought the desire was another name for the hero...

i wish they'd just go back to numeral naming methods for phones... :)

irie

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
And anyone seen or heard of any easy sounds on/off switch? I'm used to that in Palm world, very handy...
While the phone is locked you there is a sweet little circular thingy that you swipe left to turn of all sounds and turn them back on. This is also what ou use to unlock phone.

irie

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this is a dumb question, but from the photos this phone does not have dedicated call "send" and call "end" buttons. I am considering switching from Blackberry, and I can deal with hitting the screen to end a call. However, it seems like an unnecessary step to have to find the icon on the home screen to make a call. Is there going to be some sort of shortcut for going to the phone? Or a shortcut to go straight to the favorite contacts list? (i.e. hitting the home button twice or something like that). Are there any other Android phones without the call buttons?

Also, it would be nice if this had a trackpad or trackball.

There s no easy way to make a call unless you are on the home screen. You can hold down the Home key to get a list of your last 6 apps. If you used the phone within those six apps you can launch it from there. That's the est I have seen so far.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
There s no easy way to make a call unless you are on the home screen. You can hold down the Home key to get a list of your last 6 apps. If you used the phone within those six apps you can launch it from there. That's the est I have seen so far.

That is no bueno. :(

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
well, you can just type the name of who you want to call i guess, wouldn't that bring up the contact's name?

not as convenient as a dedicated send key though

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
iPhone does not have a dedicated S/END button either, people got used to it. I am sure there is an icon on screen to tap or some other easy way. Since I have NOT seen the phone I am just making assumptions here and we all know what "assume" does :eek:

austink

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
@equus -- at least iPhone has the dock at the bottom that stays the same on each of the home screens, so you always have access to the phone button. The HTC Sense UI has this, and it makes a lot of sense if there are no dedicated SEND buttons. I am still getting the device, but seems like it would have been easy to add a feature where double tapping the Home key takes you to the phone (on iPhone double taping the center button takes you to your phone favorites).

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
@equus -- at least iPhone has the dock at the bottom that stays the same on each of the home screens, so you always have access to the phone button. The HTC Sense UI has this, and it makes a lot of sense if there are no dedicated SEND buttons. I am still getting the device, but seems like it would have been easy to add a feature where double tapping the Home key takes you to the phone (on iPhone double taping the center button takes you to your phone favorites).

that's a pretty good idea.

double tap or a long press on home would be an excellent way to get to the phone screen

austink

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Being new to Android (in fact I am a preemie since I don't even have a device yet), is that something that can be done with an app? It would be great if you could set long press of home to take you to the phone, long press of search to do voice search, long press of back to take you to calendar (I think long press of menu already brings up a list of 6 open apps).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781