Profile manager of some sort? Coming from Blackberry

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I got my Droid today and I love it! I am coming from years of Blackberry use and I became used to their "profiles" for ringtone/vibrate management. I've spent the whole day looking for something to replicate this on Android and have had no luck. I want something that will allow me to, say custpomize a sleep mode that will only make a noise or vibrate if its a phone call or a text message. I can't seem to find anyrhing like this. I would also love something that allows me to customize how many times/how long a vibrate happens for a notification. Am I asking too much? Lol

Thank you!!

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Start by looking at Quick Profiles and Timereffic in the market. There are many more and other members can tell you... I've been using Quick Profiles for a while.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I came from BB too. I'm using something called Profiles, and it works fine. I haven't tried the other ones mentioned, though.

-SR-

ptfd13

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I use an app called "setting profiles" and it is the best profile manager I have come accross. You can set many different conditions for profiles to automatically switch or you can manually switch. You can set profiles to activate based on your location, time of day, docking status (in the desk dock or car dock), battery status, calendar events, incoming call, missed call, headset attachment, and bluetooth device. Within the profiles you can create you have full control of turning on wifi, bluetooth, turning on or off the pattern lock, brightness, orientation and much much more. There is a free version which lest you set just one rule per profile or a paid version for around $2.35 with unlimited. It is the best app out there for profiles.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called "setting profiles" and it is the best profile manager I have come accross. You can set many different conditions for profiles to automatically switch or you can manually switch. You can set profiles to activate based on your location, time of day, docking status (in the desk dock or car dock), battery status, calendar events, incoming call, missed call, headset attachment, and bluetooth device. Within the profiles you can create you have full control of turning on wifi, bluetooth, turning on or off the pattern lock, brightness, orientation and much much more. There is a free version which lest you set just one rule per profile or a paid version for around $2.35 with unlimited. It is the best app out there for profiles.

+1..I love setting profiles..I used tasker for a min..its nice..just not as user friendly

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I had some problems with Quick Profiles (can't recall exactly what) and settled for the moment on Profiles. Might have to give some of the suggestions in this thread a shot but I have yet to see anything totally comparable to profiles on the BB.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, the biggest short coming that all of the Android profile apps have compared to Blackberry is that the Android profile apps are not able to change app notification settings on an individual basis. You can only make changes to all notifications together. For example, you can't make a profile that sets your email to vibrate and ring and sms to ring only, then make another profile that makes email ring only and sms vibe only.

Because of the way each app's notifications are managed by each specific app (instead of notifications being managed by a central system like on Blackberry), it must be difficult (maybe impossible?) to make a profile app work like this on Android.

-SR-

NNNYC

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
What I have found to work best is an app called Ringleader free. It allows you to create custom profiles and change the ringtone of each separately....there are a few limitations though, but I was able to work around them....
Once you install the app, you need to go into each program you want to customize the notification for and select Ringleader as your "administrator"....once you do that for all programs, simply launch Ringleader and start customizing, saving each profile under a different name....
Unfortunately, there are some programs that will not allow "external" administrators to manage their tones (like Yahoo mail or Skype), so I simply don't use those apps......
Will be happy to guide further if needed....been spending the first couple of months of ownership of my droid to try and have it act like a Blackberry (only for the good reasons ;)).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome