Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stuff that Droid - doesn't?

Is there anyway to:

Get Exchange sync to work on my Android. No one I know (4 phones with three different Exchange servers) can.

Get voice dialing to work through Bluetooth?

Get voice dialing to work in a car? VERY poor recognition, basically useless when moving.

Enter new contacts. When you enter a contact it disappers, never to be seen again.

Verizon support store doesn't have a clue about any of this, even though they promised it would work when sold.

They say there is an O/S update coming (2.1.0?) BUT not until August (something about how initial release was a "disaster" - overwelmed support or something I guess). But they don't know if that will help or fix what's broke. Anyway...

Is there a phone or version of Driod that can do these things? Other phone solutions perhaps?

Thanks

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

...what?

I've had Exchange working via the native Droid email client, as well as through the Touchdown program. And what problem are you having with contacts? I have added many, many contacts on my phone and they don't 'disappear'.
    LG enV2->LG Dare->Storm->Tour->Droid
    Goodbye, RIM ...
    Roy Aguilera

Only thing that is not working from your list is bluetooth dialing. Everything else works.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

2.1 in August. WTF!!!!

Had to say it!!!

I agree with DA6. Every thing but bluetooth dialing should be working.

Lets start with your exchange problem. 1st tell us how you configured your Exchange client so we can see if there are any obvious problems.

But first, ask your Exchange admin if they allow ActiveSync connections to the server?

If not, you are out of luck.

2.1 is not coming in August.....that's a bull**** lie....i hope
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, let's see - my Exchange admin wrestled with the phone for most of a morning and threw up his hands on it. What's "Active Sync"? I should mention this to him?

We have set Exchange by entering eMail address, user name, P/W, etc. Says "cannot connect".

We are a BB house (mostly). Unfortunately, I accidently dropped my Storm out the window of an airplane while flying over the very deepest part of the Atlantic from 30,000feet (hey, the latch on that window was broken – who knew?).

At the Verizon store, I was showing one of the techs how contacts entered into the Droid vanish. He entered in his own name and number and could not find it. While huddled with another tech he suggested that the new software update “might fix this”. The other guy said, “No, they are pulling it back 'till August because of too many problems”. The first guy said “you mean 21?” and the other tech said “Yeah, support is swamped", etc, etc...

Now, these are people who can’t get the contact book working – the real truth may vary.

I'll ask the admin about Active Sync, if that's recommended. What's the deal with Contacts?

Thanks

Check on your Gmail account to see if all your contacts are listed there. I had a similar problem on my Nexus 1. All my contacts vanished one day, and any new ones that I added did the same thing. I had my contacts sync'd with Gmail, and they were in a strange category. I changed them to "all contacts" then made sure my phone was still sync'd and they all came back on my phone.

your IT person should probably start looking for a new job.

Is there anyway to:

Get Exchange sync to work on my Android. No one I know (4 phones with three different Exchange servers) can. -- dont use exchange, so can't speak to this one.

Get voice dialing to work through Bluetooth? -- Works fine for me (using a moto t505)

Get voice dialing to work in a car? VERY poor recognition, basically useless when moving. -- works fine for me (using a moto t505)

Enter new contacts. When you enter a contact it disappers, never to be seen again. -- you're kidding right? of course this works.

The only thing I have found that I can't do, that I really want to do, is listen to music streamed from Archive.org. I made a thread about it a month ago and with hundreds of views, I don't think there was a single response. I'm thinking it's impossible.

It's just a simple m3u playlist, but all of the m3u/playlist players for droid are centered around internet radio, and never read more than the first track.

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Definitely agree with this post.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hmmm. I use a Plantronics Pro device. The Droid remains deaf and mute if I try to use it for voice dialing. Is there a trick?

My Exchange admin laughed when I said "Active Sync". "Yes", he said patiently, "we have that running". However, he said it "never gets used" because we use something called a BBerry Enterprise Messaging Server. So, he is going to look closer at Active Sync.

Not kidding about the contact thing - but I'll check the gMail account...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

OK - My Exchange admin just brought in his wifes "Palm Pre" (along with his wife) and used it to get eMail from our Exchange server. Took him less than 5 minutes and he says it uses this "Active Sync".

So we are back to the problem being the Android, I guess.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GEM555 View Post
    OK - My Exchange admin just brought in his wifes "Palm Pre" (along with his wife) and used it to get eMail from our Exchange server. Took him less than 5 minutes and he says it uses this "Active Sync".

So we are back to the problem being the Android, I guess.
    Ok....

Step 1. Delete all accounts you tried to creat for your Exchange.

Step 2. Find your Corporate Calander Icon, Click on it (Yes for now you have to configure MS Exchange with CorporateCalander)

Step 3. Fill in your email address, and you LAN password.

Step 4. On the next screen fill in your "Domain\Username" (Your admin can tell your windows Domain {not the same as yourcompany.com } and your Username is the one you use to gain access to your PC.

Step 5. Password should be the same as in Step 2

Step 6. Exchange Server (Your admin should be able to tell you this information. Its the DNS name of your Exchange Email Server)

Use secure connection (SSL) and Accept all SSL certificates (Ask your admin about this)

Step 7. Click on Next (Should go out and connect to your server)

Step 8. If successfull name your account and set up sync options.

Step 9. Done

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

When setting up ActiveSync on the Droid, it was a little wonky with my work's Exchange server. We do not have to type in the domain when we type our username in, but instead of just typing "username" into the setup, I had to type "\username" , with the leading back slash.

Try that.

If not, try the free trial of the Touchdown app.
    LG enV2->LG Dare->Storm->Tour->Droid
    Goodbye, RIM ...
    Roy Aguilera

Awesome!

yeah, BES is the overpriced crap that blackberries need to fully sync with exchange. Luckily they've come out with an express version for companies to use that don't want the added expense of BES.

The iphone, pre, and android phones all use Active Sync which is a free add-on you get with Microsoft Exchange. The default android email doesn't support security policies. Check to see if they have any enabled. To get around that, you can download Touchdown for Exchange. It's well worth the $20 or so it costs if you're a serious exchange user.
    GenericMessage

We are a BB house (mostly). Unfortunately, I accidently dropped my Storm out the window of an airplane while flying over the very deepest part of the Atlantic from 30,000feet (hey, the latch on that window was broken who knew?).

Thanks
    Being an old pilot, I will tell you that if you where at 30,000 ft and there was any opening on the plane, either you'd be sucked out, or your blood would boil.

Probably shouldn't exaggerate

Hope you get your exchange stuff working soon!

Global Posts
    435 Global Posts

Is there anyway to:

Get voice dialing to work through Bluetooth?

Is there a phone or version of Driod that can do these things? Other phone solutions perhaps?

Thanks
    Here is a link to my post in another thread in this forum regarding BT Dialing.

forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid/8094-2-1-supposed-fix-handsfree-bluetooth-dialing-3.html#post62063

That should say it all as MANY of us are looking for BT voice dialing. On a side not I dont do exchange but people I know pay $20 for this one exchange app which is absolutely flawless. I am not sure why the stock stuff cant do exchange or are buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by pjnc284 View Post
    your it person should probably start looking for a new job.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMessage View Post
    Being an old pilot, I will tell you that if you where at 30,000 ft and there was any opening on the plane, either you'd be sucked out, or your blood would boil.

Probably shouldn't exaggerate

Hope you get your exchange stuff working soon!
    I was wondering how he knew what the deepest part of the Atlantic at that exact moment was .... but you sir, have a valid point as well
    Banned

Global Posts
    435 Global Posts

This. I've messed with exchange and I have my temporary experimental home exchange server working on my home computer... And... thats saying something since I haven't even taken the exchange course

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
    Definitely agree with this post.
    What he said
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Listen. The window latch was broken, ok? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Besides, nobody at the firm knows anything about "pressure" or "30,000 feet". They get in the tube, they get out of the tube. Just as long as it ends up where it says on the ticket - that's all they want to know. Let's just let sleeping dogs lie, OK?

On the other hand, the "boiling blood" thing? That, we know about.

Still workiing on the Exchange thing. I'll keep everyone informed.

And thank you all for taking an interest and helping out! I hope the "21" (2.1?) update arrives quicker then the local Verizon (motto: "We never start working for you") guys think.