Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How to purposly brick a Droid?

    Anyone know how?
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  2. #2  

    Default

    WHY?
    Quote Originally Posted by philip.stinger
    Is it lazy or just fully utilizing the technology at your disposal?
  3. #3  
    iMatter's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default

    I have a feeling you want to use this knowledge for evil.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Tell me why, and maybe I'll tell you how.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    No evil intended on any individual.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Tell me why, and maybe I'll tell you how.
    I work for a large company that has alot of developers, including Android.

    We want to make sure that while our apps are running and a Droid is bricked for any reason, the database on the cards isn't hosed or corrupted.

    I have a few Droids that I need to purposly brick and would like an easy to use method.

    doesn't make much sense, but this is the task I've been asked of my manager.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  7. #7  
    jdwx's Avatar

    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

    Default

    And the developers don't know how to brick a phone? That's well, umm, interesting.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    I work for a large company that has alot of developers, including Android.

    We want to make sure that while our apps are running and a Droid is bricked for any reason, the database on the cards isn't hosed or corrupted.

    I have a few Droids that I need to purposly brick and would like an easy to use method.

    doesn't make much sense, but this is the task I've been asked of my manager.
    While the phone is running, plug it in to your pc and fire up adb

    su
    cd /etc/framework
    rm -rf *.*
    reboot

    for a permanent brick, flash a GSM radio image intended for the milestone.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDWX View Post
    And the developers don't know how to brick a phone? That's well, umm, interesting.
    They are new to the Android OS.

    We have a large Windows Mobile division and want to branch out to Android.

    We deal mostly in C#, SQL, and C++
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    While the phone is running, plug it in to your pc and fire up adb

    su
    cd /etc/framework
    rm -rf *.*
    reboot

    for a permanent brick, flash a GSM radio image intended for the milestone.
    Gracias.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  11. #11  

    Default

    No problem. Have fun lol
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  12. #12  

    Default

    Alternately, use the moto reflash tool, and unplug the phone halfway through.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    I work for a large company that has alot of developers, including Android.

    We want to make sure that while our apps are running and a Droid is bricked for any reason, the database on the cards isn't hosed or corrupted.

    I have a few Droids that I need to purposly brick and would like an easy to use method.

    doesn't make much sense, but this is the task I've been asked of my manager.
    anychance i could get a slightly used Droid from you? tryin to past the time until Nexus 1 comes out on VZW
  14. #14  
    ikith's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts

    Default

    You can't permanently brick the droid unless you somehow write over the bootloader. If you can get into the bootloader you can sbf the phone and it isn't bricked.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: How to purposly brick a Droid?

    If i brick my phone this way, would warranty have any of knowing it was rooted. i got my new phone from warranty today and i have to send the other one back without then having an idea it was rooted, or else i pay $299 :/

Posting Permissions