Motorola DROID first hands-on! (update: video, impressions, more pics)

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Engadget has the first hands on video posted over on their site. If you listen closely to the woman from Verizon you must have the keyboard open, or have the phone in one of the available at an additional charge docks to get the phone into landscape mode.

Engadget First Hands-on with Motorola Droid

The woman also talks as if the ability to voice search Google is a new thing specifically for the Droid, Umm hello sister I can do that from any phone. It was nice to see that you don't need the MotoBlur overlay in order to link up your contacts with their social network memberships.

The only cool thing about the Verizon Droid is Android 2.0 and Google Navigation, both of which will be available to soon on other Android devices.

All in all the Verizon Droid so far is very disappointing from its "eh" look to the necessity to keep it docked or open the keyboard to get into landscape mode. Certainly hasn't lived up to the hype. NEXT!

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
also, when she talks about facebook and then gets asked if it is going to be on all android 2.0 devices.

her response is "no, this is something they worked on specifically with facebook...... for the release of android 2.0"

sounds to me like its an android 2.0 thing and not a droid thing.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Now see the Sony Ericsson Xperia aka Rachel or Infinity rocks my world and rumor has it it's coming to Sprint.

1GHz processor
4.1″ OLED capacitive touch screen
8.1MP camera w/ touch focus, smile shutter, face detection, ISO settings, and more
32GB internal storage
Specially made apps for twitter, Facebook, and MySpace

If these rumors are true and it comes to Sprint before my 30 days are up. See you later Hero.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
maybe the unit didn't have the auto-rotate option picked. the lady in the video doesn't seem to be extremely knowledgeable with a lot of things.

because the A8 processor, large high res screen, and decent camera (specs wise so far) are all goign to be added to devices when they go to 2.0....

irie

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
This phone will work with ladnscape mode. There is a setting that has to be checked to have this enabled. The homescreen will not rotate but everything else does.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind gents, Android is releasing 20 phones by the end of the year...of those, how many of them have we heard come equipped with a physical keyboard?...don't worry, I'll wait...

Think of others personal preference along with your own before you start throwing around the word disappointment.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'll give you that, the woman in the Engadget video didn't appear to be very knowledgeable about the Droid.

I was thinking the same thing watching the video. I will admit the look of the device is growing on me a bit since I first saw pictures.

cdaiscool#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing watching the video. I will admit the look of the device is growing on me a bit since I first saw pictures.

I personally think that it's looking much better now in reality than when they were showing leaked photos.

I honestly think its a deeper black, which I absolutely love.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I personally think that it's looking much better now in reality than when they were showing leaked photos.

I honestly think its a deeper black, which I absolutely love.

I know there is the GSM version that is completely blacked out. It may be best to wait to see what happens with that device to see if it lands on AT&T early next year.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Was it the software on the Motorola's that led you away or the hardware? I beat the crap out of my RAZR and it held up, but the software was horrific.

Both, although I will say trying to kill a moto was almost impossible. They're only two successful phones were the RAZR and the StarTac (ok now I'm dating myself).

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Still too plain and simple looking for my tastes and I'm not a big Motorola fan.

To me I've noticed way too many little things that bother me with HTC devices. I will admit I was not a fan of this device at first but it's looking better.