Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Motorola DROID first hands-on! (update: video, impressions, more pics)

    Engadget has the first hands on video posted over on their site. If you listen closely to the woman from Verizon you must have the keyboard open, or have the phone in one of the available at an additional charge docks to get the phone into landscape mode.

    Engadget First Hands-on with Motorola Droid

    The woman also talks as if the ability to voice search Google is a new thing specifically for the Droid, Umm hello sister I can do that from any phone. It was nice to see that you don't need the MotoBlur overlay in order to link up your contacts with their social network memberships.

    The only cool thing about the Verizon Droid is Android 2.0 and Google Navigation, both of which will be available to soon on other Android devices.

    All in all the Verizon Droid so far is very disappointing from its "eh" look to the necessity to keep it docked or open the keyboard to get into landscape mode. Certainly hasn't lived up to the hype. NEXT!
  2. #2  

    Default

    ok
    haha
    you don't like it
  3. #3  

    Default

    also, when she talks about facebook and then gets asked if it is going to be on all android 2.0 devices.

    her response is "no, this is something they worked on specifically with facebook...... for the release of android 2.0"

    sounds to me like its an android 2.0 thing and not a droid thing.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Now see the Sony Ericsson Xperia aka Rachel or Infinity rocks my world and rumor has it it's coming to Sprint.

    1GHz processor
    4.1″ OLED capacitive touch screen
    8.1MP camera w/ touch focus, smile shutter, face detection, ISO settings, and more
    32GB internal storage
    Specially made apps for twitter, Facebook, and MySpace

    If these rumors are true and it comes to Sprint before my 30 days are up. See you later Hero.
  5. #5  

    Default

    and i'm sure they'll update it with an option (if not already available) for the landscape orientation
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKaytheISH View Post
    and i'm sure they'll update it with an option (if not already available) for the landscape orientation
    Yeah just like Verizon worked quickly to fix the Storm.
  7. #7  
    Snaz's Avatar

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKaytheISH View Post
    and i'm sure they'll update it with an option (if not already available) for the landscape orientation
    this video shows its already available. Its a Verizon video.

    At 0:27 he rotates and it turns, no problem. Maybe that only is applicable in certain applications....

  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
    this video shows its already available. Its a Verizon video.

    At 0:27 he rotates and it turns, no problem. Maybe that only is applicable in certain applications....

    Good find! Hope its actually fixed... only downside I see so far and really its very minimal.
  9. #9  

    Default

    maybe the unit didn't have the auto-rotate option picked. the lady in the video doesn't seem to be extremely knowledgeable with a lot of things.

    because the A8 processor, large high res screen, and decent camera (specs wise so far) are all goign to be added to devices when they go to 2.0....
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    I'll give you that, the woman in the Engadget video didn't appear to be very knowledgeable about the Droid.
  11. #11  
    irie's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

    Default

    This phone will work with ladnscape mode. There is a setting that has to be checked to have this enabled. The homescreen will not rotate but everything else does.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Keep in mind gents, Android is releasing 20 phones by the end of the year...of those, how many of them have we heard come equipped with a physical keyboard?...don't worry, I'll wait...

    Think of others personal preference along with your own before you start throwing around the word disappointment.
  13. #13  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Original Member

    Posts
    2,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERDude View Post
    I'll give you that, the woman in the Engadget video didn't appear to be very knowledgeable about the Droid.
    I was thinking the same thing watching the video. I will admit the look of the device is growing on me a bit since I first saw pictures.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    I was thinking the same thing watching the video. I will admit the look of the device is growing on me a bit since I first saw pictures.
    I personally think that it's looking much better now in reality than when they were showing leaked photos.

    I honestly think its a deeper black, which I absolutely love.
  15. #15  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Original Member

    Posts
    2,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdaiscool View Post
    I personally think that it's looking much better now in reality than when they were showing leaked photos.

    I honestly think its a deeper black, which I absolutely love.
    I know there is the GSM version that is completely blacked out. It may be best to wait to see what happens with that device to see if it lands on AT&T early next year.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    I know there is the GSM version that is completely blacked out. It may be best to wait to see what happens with that device to see if it lands on AT&T early next year.
    Can always just murder it out yourself
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    I was thinking the same thing watching the video. I will admit the look of the device is growing on me a bit since I first saw pictures.
    Still too plain and simple looking for my tastes and I'm not a big Motorola fan.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERDude View Post
    Still too plain and simple looking for my tastes and I'm not a big Motorola fan.
    Was it the software on the Motorola's that led you away or the hardware? I beat the crap out of my RAZR and it held up, but the software was horrific.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdawgui View Post
    Was it the software on the Motorola's that led you away or the hardware? I beat the crap out of my RAZR and it held up, but the software was horrific.
    Both, although I will say trying to kill a moto was almost impossible. They're only two successful phones were the RAZR and the StarTac (ok now I'm dating myself).
  20. #20  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Original Member

    Posts
    2,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERDude View Post
    Still too plain and simple looking for my tastes and I'm not a big Motorola fan.
    To me I've noticed way too many little things that bother me with HTC devices. I will admit I was not a fan of this device at first but it's looking better.
  21. #21  

    Default Att?

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    I know there is the GSM version that is completely blacked out. It may be best to wait to see what happens with that device to see if it lands on AT&T early next year.

    Maybe next year??
    Really, I wouldn't hold your breath, you would be holding it a long time, like maybe forever! Maybe Mexico, Canada etc., Do the typical GSM thing and purchase one from overseas for $600, unlock it etc, that may work. But the GSM version may be months from now, but ATT, good luck with that. Or just get a real network and pay your ETF, that would be cheaper. Now all the T-Mobile fanboys jump in and say how much cheaper their plans are. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

    My buddy has cricket, great plan, but every time I call him he drops me, he switched to t-mob and now he does get his txt messages most of the time lol.

    And the look of the device is charcoal black, not cheep gray like some pics show. And all I can say is that you need to hold this device in your hands and not judge it by pics, Think better than Razor2 build quality!!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    To me I've noticed way too many little things that bother me with HTC devices. I will admit I was not a fan of this device at first but it's looking better.
    I have to honestly say I have only 2 of the problems that are on the list of 17 known problems. No dust, nothing, maybe because I Zagged it right off the bat.

    I'm working on a few of the issues with a HTC guy, things are going good so far, in fact they're much better.
  23. #23  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Original Member

    Posts
    2,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    Maybe next year??
    Really, I wouldn't hold your breath, you would be holding it a long time, like maybe forever! Maybe Mexico, Canada etc., Do the typical GSM thing and purchase one from overseas for $600, unlock it etc, that may work. But the GSM version may be months from now, but ATT, good luck with that. Or just get a real network and pay your ETF, that would be cheaper. Now all the T-Mobile fanboys jump in and say how much cheaper their plans are. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

    My buddy has cricket, great plan, but every time I call him he drops me, he switched to t-mob and now he does get his txt messages most of the time lol.

    And the look of the device is charcoal black, not cheep gray like some pics show. And all I can say is that you need to hold this device in your hands and not judge it by pics, Think better than Razor2 build quality!!
    A GSM version clearly exists as I'm sure you have seen in the video that has been floating around. So either it will be sold unlocked or end up on a GSM carrier here in the US.

    Again all of this "my carrier is better than your carrier" really never made sense to me...
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    my carrier is better than your carrier
    well its true.


    just kidding
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFSikora View Post
    A GSM version clearly exists as I'm sure you have seen in the video that has been floating around. So either it will be sold unlocked or end up on a GSM carrier here in the US.


    I would lean more towards option A, but what do I know. You would still have to unlock it and pay an arm and a leg, and my point was, then why not pay your ETF instead of Full Retail (cost the same) and move to Big Red, its a relevant point.


    Again all of this "my carrier is better than your carrier" really never made sense to me...
    If a debate about better quality carriers does not make sense to you I wonder if you have ever had a good carrier, and a debate about it, isn't that what forums are for, discussions about what people think, opinions hopefully grounded in some or a lot of truth. So I don't get how a discussion about what carrier is stronger "does not make sense." I believe it is incredibly relevant to cell phone discussion. Its not a "Mine is better than yours" thing and I never said it was. Just making a comparison and point, and I thought a good one. Nuf said
    Last edited by DMac; 10-30-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions