Heads Up To Proud New DROID Owners

Most Used Twitter App...

• Total voters

jricciardi

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
First things first, when you first get your DROID you'll want to make sure you have Android 2.1 - If they don't know when you first get it, just make sure you get it downloaded/updated ASAP.

Probably the first thing you should download is an 'app' called HelixLauncher 1.2a - Why? Because it will enable you to have up to 7 homescreens rather than just 3 (on top of TONS of other customizable features for your main 'desktop' screen!) You want the first one (not HelixLauncher 2.) Can't believe it is free!

Widgets: DailyBibleVerse 1.4 (Awesome to have on your home screen. You can have KJV or NIV...) Battery Widget 1.6.3 by mippin.com (Necessary for quick reference to battery percentage from main screen.)

Google Apps: Google Earth, Google Voice (if you have a GV number,) Google Sky Map (Def one of my top 5 faves!) Google Goggles and Google Shopper...

Production: DocumentsToGo 2.0 (Full Version) - A MUST have. Full-fledged Microsoft Office-like program that I got on sale for only $9.99 - It's typically $30... You can use it to create, edit, save Word docs, Excel docs, Powerpoint presentations, and PDFs... - 3banana Notes by Snaptic - I know the name sounds crazy but it is hands-down the best task/note app on the market. And its FREE! Well worth learning to use. Has homescreen widget, too. - RealCalc Scientific Calculator (For free, it is WAY better than the stock calculator.) - Voice Recorder by Mamoru Tokashiki - ASTRO File Manager - My Verizon - Keeper Password & Data Vault (MUST HAVE... Another top 5 of mine. I have almost 50 different passwords for stuff...) - Advanced Task Killer by ReChild - Free version is more than sufficient, and is the best out of a sea of task manager apps... - myLock - Auto Unlock (You'll see why it's nice to have...)

Fun & Games: Toss It (Preview) is fun, simple, and addictive. Bonsai Blast is awesome for a free game. Bubble Defense is another fun strategy game. PicSay - Photo Editor = MUST HAVE. Pretty much photoshop any pic directly from your Droid. TONS of features for a free version! You'll also want to make sure and get FxCamera (Free of course...) Shazam is great for discovering info about songs playing that you don't know. Ringdroid can be used to make a custom ringtone out of any music file on your phone. Pretty awesome. (Eat that, iPhone!) Metal Detector - AMAZING once you figure out how to use it! No other OS can do this! Robo Defense - Homerun Battle 3D - Steamy (Free and fun to show off... Pro version is only 99 cents...)

Social Networking: Facebook for Android (Make sure to get the legit/official app made by Facebook.) Meebo IM is an awesome, free app that combines all your instant messaging and chat accounts; like Facebook chat, MSN, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, etc... Gowalla has an official app that works well. SEE BOTTOM FOR TWITTER APPS...

Miscellaneous: WeatherBug ( It's worth buying Elite,) FlashLight by flash-the-brain.com, Droidlight LED Flashlight, Super Text To Speech, Urbanspoon, Pandora and Slacker radios, Live Scores (covers every sport,) Text Easy (for easy mass texts,) Uninstaller is must have! Opera Mini 5 Browser (Nice features for a secondary internet browswer.) Layar Reality Browser 3.0, Dictionary.com app is a MUST. (If nothing else for the Word of the Day widget!) - If you ever use craigslist CraigsNotifica (Craigslist) is an awesome app. (Don't worry, it's not in Spanish. LOL) Notifies you when you new items you've been searching for are posted. Makes it super easy to contact the people, too!

WHEW! Almost done!

Best Bible Apps (All Free...): AcroBible Lite 2.0 (Great offline KJV that's easy to read and has bookmark capabilities.) Bible 2.0.1 (Made by YouVersion - Awesome & most downloaded. Has TONS of translations/features. Requires data connection.) VirtueBible FE 2.0.7 (Very nice Bible app with 'memorization' feature and more.) All 3 are must-haves.

There are a myriad of Twitter apps for Android (and growing.) I've tried most - whether free or not. Ultimately it will come down to personal preferences such as looks, features, speed, widget options, etc. I will just give you a run down of what are the best free (and un-free.)

FREE: Try Seesmic, Twicca, Twidroid, Touiteur, HootSuite, and TweetCaster...

PAID: Twidroid Pro, HootSuite, TweetCaster Pro, and/or Touiteur Premium...

I tend to switch it up now and then. TweetCaster, Touiteur, and Twicca look the best in my opinion - however feature-wise I prefer Twidroid, HootSuite, and Seesmic.

Let me know what you end up liking/using the most out of all these apps! (And feel free to send me some suggestions you discover!)

Android/Google is hands-down the best mobile experience there is today. I've had everything: from basic feature phones to Windows Mobile, to Palm OS, to Web OS, to the iPhone, to BlackBerry, etc... Google is where its at.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I would add to this is I would not use a task killer. Search around Android Central or Droid Forums, and you will see many reasons why. Some people need it, but I personally find my phone to run a lot faster, and with less wonky stuff happening, when I uninstalled my task killer.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Not saying task killers don't work in certain situations. TK's are unliked by some because they go against the basic processes in linux.

I'm not saying don't use one if you feel like you need it. Just saying that try the phone without it, it may work better for you.

Other than that, I think this is a very good list. Nice job!