droid to incredible

andglassman

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
since the leaked specs I've been looking into selling out on the droid and going for the incredible. besides selling my droid to help out lowering the no contract price, anyone have any good ideas of getting around the system?

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
nope. verizons changed its policy on replacing phones because people were abusing the system. they are no longer replacing you into a different device. you are stuck with your phone for the duration of your contract. now they will build you a replacement in store if they have the parts available (battery, back cover, and replacement unit) but thats as good as it gets. i used to work for verizon and i am still good friends with a lot of the reps. we actually were just talking about this because i made a joke about switching my phone out for something new. sorry man.

bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't know about verizon's policy, but I have a friend that has gone through 3 BB Tours, and now made Verizon upgrade him to the storm 2..
He was able to get the Storm2 with some accessories for FREE!.
So I feel with enough persuasion anything is possible..

Even my self I have had Verizon upgrade me to a different kind of cell phone because I was having issues with my phone.
I guess, that was something different as I was having problems. but As far as upgrading just because you don't like the phone, I don't think Verizon will do. But there are loop holes..

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
There is one way that I know of that you can get a different phone as a replacement but I don't think it will be able to be done in your case. If you have a phone and the is a defect or something breaks that isn't your fault you you can replace it for the same device but if it happen multiple times (3 times I think) within 4 months (give or take) they will let you get a new device. Its something that the reps will not tell you about but it is something they will do for you if you ask. Do some research to get the exact info.

Or you can do an early upgrade after you hit the 1 year mark for $20 additional. I don't know when you restarted your contract to get the Droid but it is def better than waiting 2 years or paying full price for the phone.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I too am going to shell out the no contract cost and buy the phone. Once I toy with it for a while and decide that I like it I am going to sell my Droid as well. Trust me you are not in this boat alone, I am sure others on this board are going to do the same thing.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I really don't think its worth it to get the Incredible at this point. The snapdragon processor has been out for a few months already and technology is advancing rapidly so I have a feeling there will be and even better one around November. That is one of the things that is a huge interest for people who are buying phones. To each his own but just put that into consideration before you make the leap.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
For me, I personally wouldn't consider it until it's rootable.
I need the wifi tether app at a minimum and - given how long the Droid 2.1 update was delayed - would always want the ability to install a custom ROM.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I really don't think its worth it to get the Incredible at this point. The snapdragon processor has been out for a few months already and technology is advancing rapidly so I have a feeling there will be and even better one around November. That is one of the things that is a huge interest for people who are buying phones. To each his own but just put that into consideration before you make the leap.

Snapdragon = teh suck. I honestly do not know of any benefit whatsoever of having Snappy over the Cortex A8 processors. Go look at any of the 3d games in android market like asphalt 5, etc and they all bitch about N1 performance. Droid handles it all like a champ.

N1 handles it like a chump.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I only have one point of advice here...HTC hardware sucks. It's been proven time and time again that HTC makes a great LOOKING handset. But once you get down to the nitty gritty, it never works the way it's supposed to.

R

Roy Aguilera

I only have one point of advice here...HTC hardware sucks. It's been proven time and time again that HTC makes a great LOOKING handset. But once you get down to the nitty gritty, it never works the way it's supposed to.

Exactly how I feel. The chip, screen and case are all downgrades if you own a droid. Only improvement is the memory and camera. I'm gonna wait for the N2 which should be the droid2. My droid is awesome.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
There is one way that I know of that you can get a different phone as a replacement but I don't think it will be able to be done in your case. If you have a phone and the is a defect or something breaks that isn't your fault you you can replace it for the same device but if it happen multiple times (3 times I think) within 4 months (give or take) they will let you get a new device. Its something that the reps will not tell you about but it is something they will do for you if you ask. Do some research to get the exact info.

Or you can do an early upgrade after you hit the 1 year mark for $20 additional. I don't know when you restarted your contract to get the Droid but it is def better than waiting 2 years or paying full price for the phone.

Just happened to my girlfriend with her Storm. The details are:
If you have a manufacturing defect with the phone, they will give you a new one with the same model.

If you have 3 manuf. defects, verified by the rep, within 3 months (They say 1 quarter, but it's about 3 months), they will "upgrade" you to a new device.

The "new device" is indeed new, but it will NOT be your choice of any phone. They will typically upgrade you to a newer model of the same phone. For example, my girlfriend was offered a storm 2 to replacer her storm 1.

They will not extend your contract, but they will re-set your device renewal/replacement deal, so it will be 2 years (if you stick on contract) before you get the reduced phone price again.

If you "break" or return your Droid 3 times, they will most likely give you a Pre or a Eris. I doubt they would upgrade you to the incredible, unless it's been out for a couple months (i.e. sales may be slowing).

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Exactly how I feel. The chip, screen and case are all downgrades if you own a droid. Only improvement is the memory and camera. I'm gonna wait for the N2 which should be the droid2. My droid is awesome.

And 8 mp on a cellphone may be a liiitttlle much. The Droid along struggles with 5 (that's either a software issue or a sensor issue). Granted, HTC is better with the software, but sticking a quality 8 mp sensor into the Incredible is probably pushing it.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
And 8 mp on a cellphone may be a liiitttlle much. The Droid along struggles with 5 (that's either a software issue or a sensor issue).
A little much what? The Droid handles 5MP photos just fine. The sensor is just awful. MP is pixel count. That's it.

Only improvement is the memory and camera.
You can't always assume that more MP = better camera. The Droid certainly demonstrates this.

Last edited:

JawKnee37

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I pondered the same thing, but I was able to upgrade to the Droid for $59 shipped and I'm positive I wouldn't be able to get the Incredible for anywhere near that price point. And as other suggested, I've heard the HTC hardware isn't that great.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, mp don't necessarily mean better pics. I have a Sony Ericsson c910 with an 8mp camera and the pictures are great. It's pretty much a cybershot camera that is a phone though.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
If you have a plan higher than $49.99 per month and you're the primary on the account, you should be eligible for an annual upgrade. When you get to your 1-year mark, you can upgrade to a new phone at its 2-year contract price, and you will sign a new contract with Verizon. I think that's about the best option now.