tough first day on the job for me and my Droid

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Got my Droid last Saturday... Today ( Monday) was the first day of using for work and managing calls and texts, etc.

I have to say I struggled with the interface for placing calls, retreiving and responding to texts, etc. Seemed like the phone was doing things and going places that I didn't know how to control it.

This is my first touch screen phone, so first I have learned is to immediately press the 'stand by' button when not being used, so that it doesn't call someone by mistake.

I am pretty sure it will get better.

Anyone else find that it got easier to understand after a while ? I am coming from BB Curve.

:confused:

mawint

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
As a rule a thumb I have always felt their was about a two week learning curve for a touch screen phone. This was true for when I first got my storm and even though the Droid is similar there also was a learning curve for this device, it was however much faster on the Droid since the touch screen is much easier to use.

Click

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Once you get used to how the Droid works you will love it. My Father and I own our own glass installation business and the Droid is our life savor with Turn by Turn GPS being able to give prices over the phone. Our Droids make part of work so much easier! Enjoy your Droid! :D

crash0515

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
What I have found usefull when switching to something new is to take time and just play with it. Don't try to over think the phone, just explore every part of the phone go into every app and check it all out. the more you play around with it the more you will learn. In a couple of weeks you will be a pro.

Good luck.....

California_iPad

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I got my Droid on Saturday and I came from a BB Curve too.
Anyways, I learned most of the phone; I enjoy all the applications.
I dislike the little charging light, I charge my Droid while I am sleeping, and I sleep in a 'dark cave' so it annoys me.

cnc7

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I know exactly what you are going thru, I cam from a storm with sure press, i have had my moto droid for about a week now, this was my 1st work week with my Droid, i was fumbling a lot with it, having tons of accidental calls, having extreme typing errors when texting, and when it came to needing something fast like the boss calls for a company phone number while he is on the phone, ( IE: a fast look-up) I was lost, after the first 3 days i hated my droid, but if you give it time and learn the touch sensitive screen its a lethal business tool. I'm into my 8th day of my Droid and i can say my BB Storm rocked but my Droid is by far superior and i haven't regretted my choice

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
...I dislike the little charging light, I charge my Droid while I am sleeping, and I sleep in a 'dark cave' so it annoys me.

Two things. Try Bedside. It disables notification sounds except calls and alarms while docked. If you are rooted, you can use LEDs Hack. It disables the LEDs while docked. I use both of these and put the phone to sleep. Now, I never get that annoying text in the middle of the night that wakes me up. Both apps are by the same developer.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Two things. Try Bedside. It disables notification sounds except calls and alarms while docked. If you are rooted, you can use LEDs Hack. It disables the LEDs while docked. I use both of these and put the phone to sleep. Now, I never get that annoying text in the middle of the night that wakes me up. Both apps are by the same developer.

Does it disable the white charging light also? (Bedside)

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Does it disable the white charging light also? (Bedside)

My Droid doesn't show a white led when charging? But Bedside doesnt disable any of the LEDs only the notification sounds. LEDs Hack does the rest. I think it is a separate app because it requires rooting.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
is there anyway to send a text from the 'contacts' menu ?

Phone : Droid / OS 2.1

Today was better... I seem to be getting the hang of touch screen more, but still many errors, etc. I know it will continue to improve :)

Does anyone know if you can set up a text message directly from the 'contacts' menu. I have tried and haven't been able to do it.... I can only call someone or email them.

The way that I have been sending texts is by going to 'messaging,' then typing the persons name.... but it would be easier if I could just scroll to a 'contact' from the contact menu and start a text message there.

Anyone know if that is possible ?

( I did see that I can choose someone to text from my 'call log,' also under the 'contacts' menu....but what if they aren't in the call log.....? anyway to text someone from the 'contacts' menu, where all my addresses and phone #'s are stored.

thanks for all the help :)

CynicalDreams81

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Yes you can send a text from the contacts menu. All you do is tap the contacts photo or the grey android icon where the contact photo would appear. A submenu will pop up and then just tap the green messaging icon. Simple and quick.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else find that it got easier to understand after a while ? I am coming from BB Curve.

:confused:
Everything gets easier to understand after a while. I don't recall having any major problems and I came from a BB 8310.

If you're assuming that Android should operate the same way BB does (or whatever your former device may have been) you'll have more difficulty adapting.

Yes you can send a text from the contacts menu. All you do is tap the contacts photo or the grey android icon where the contact photo would appear. A submenu will pop up and then just tap the green messaging icon. Simple and quick.
If you message certain contacts a lot you can also set up a Direct Messaging icon for the contact(s) on your home screen. Long press on the home screen and go from there...

Of course, there will be no green (or Handcent) messaging icon if there is no mobile phone listed in the contact information.
It will actually let me attempt to message to any phone number, not just mobile. It obviously won't succeed in messaging to a home/work land line but it will certainly let me try.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac