1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unscratchable Screen.....

Yea right! I heard all this talk about how the moto droids screen is super scratch resistant becuase its made out of a special glass. Well tonight i got a scratch in my screen somehow while the phone was in my pocket. yea wtf im super pissed right now. Im gonna try some scratch removing tricks for glass and see what happens.

Anybody have any suggestions. Its not to bad a scrach but i cant feel it with my nail if i scrape along it.
    Last edited by threepio; 04-17-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Galaxy Nexus -Unlocked/Rooted- Stock Rom
    HTC Incredible. Unrevoked Forever. CM7

Shouldn't believe what you hear. I'm not trying to be rude but no one ever said the screen was "unscratchable", however it's just resistive to light-medium scratches.

I'd recommend buying a glass repair kit for regular glasses and see if it fills it in. Good Luck!

Scratch-resistant != Unscratchable

The first day I got my Droid I scratched the screen. It is a very small/light scratch, and I don't remember how I did it, but it definitely is scratched. You have to be careful, or invest in a screen protector.

Global Posts
    2,073 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MBSMD View Post
    Scratch-resistant != Unscratchable
    Wrong. Scratch-proof = Unscratchable

I don't think that it will scratch in an empty pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post

You realize he said that scratch resistant doesn't equal unscratchable right?
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

It makes me wonder how made it through the scratch test unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post

Of course, he never said it was an empty pocket, either. In fact, the fact that the phone was in the pocket, means the pocket wasn't empty :rolleyes: Also consider that a lot of pockets, eg, on Jeans, have rivets on the corners, where you could drag the screen across one of the rivets while inserting or removing it. In such a case, while it could be argued that the screen was not, in fact, scratched inside the pocket, it would also be difficult to tell exactly where that happened, unless he noticed the scraping sound.

More to the point, why are you putting a $500 phone in your pocket? If you're dense enough to do that without a screen protector, maybe you deserve to have a scratched screen. I had my droid for nearly 6 months without a screen protector, and it had no scratches, before I decided I had tempted fate long enough. $12 for 3 is cheap insurance, and on the Droid, if you get it on right, its nearly impossible to tell it's there. Especially if you are going to put it in your pocket....

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    You realize he said that scratch resistant doesn't equal unscratchable right?
    I don't think he does.

This thread is full of lulz.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by mupi View Post
    More to the point, why are you putting a $500 phone in your pocket? If you're dense enough to do that without a screen protector, maybe you deserve to have a scratched screen. I had my droid for nearly 6 months without a screen protector, and it had no scratches, before I decided I had tempted fate long enough. $12 for 3 is cheap insurance, and on the Droid, if you get it on right, its nearly impossible to tell it's there. Especially if you are going to put it in your pocket....
    So where the hell else am i supposed to put my 500 phone? should i get a lanyard for it and sling it around my neck? or just carry it in my hand all day? maybe i should shove it up your ***.

A pocket is a pocket for a reason, yes my pocket was empty, and no my jeans didnt have rivets. And for clarity, when i said unscratchable screen in the title i meant scratch resistant. Ive seen the abuse the screen could take, im just a little disappointed in the fact that somehow the screen got scratched so easily.

Yes the reason for the scratch is my fault. Im not blaming anyone else. But i figure i would share my expierence with others on the forum, so they can be cautious and know that they should invest in a screen protector. I currently have a screen protector on order right now, and its just dumb luck that i didnt have it for yesterday when the screen got scratched.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

if you dont feel like using a screen protector, pick up a sleeve case if you want to keep your droid in your pocket

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Just recently found a small scratch on my screen as well. Weird because I ALWAYS keep it in the leather case I have for it. But it was bound to happen. Frustrating though becasue Im pretty destructive with my phones and I have been making a conscious effort to treat this phone nice and I still get a scratch. Some people are just doomed that way I suppose. lol
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by wattershedd View Post
    Just recently found a small scratch on my screen as well. Weird because I ALWAYS keep it in the leather case I have for it. But it was bound to happen. Frustrating though becasue Im pretty destructive with my phones and I have been making a conscious effort to treat this phone nice and I still get a scratch. Some people are just doomed that way I suppose. lol
    i agree, i always take pristine care of my mobile devices. My last blackberry curve was over a year and a half old and it still looked brand new.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Ironically i got my Ghost-Armor full body kit today......just finished installing it. the scratch is no longer visible with the screen portion installed. Problem solved.

I had the Zagg invisible shield for about 2 days. and took it off and returned it. total crap. made the phone feel sticky and lost sensitivity on the screen.

I then ordered the Ghost-Armor. Just got it today. Right away it feels so much better than the Zagg. There are still some "micro bubbles" as they call it on the screen, but they are supposed to disappear within 24-48 hours.

True that!
    Me: Motorola Droid Bionic - Rooted | Wife: Motorola Droid X - Update Broke Root
    Son: Motorola Droid 4 - Stock | Daughter: Motorola Droid 2 - Rooted
    GenericMessage

I put a pretty nasty one in mine. It fell out of my holster and scraped along the gravel drive-way.

I picked it up, took a soft cloth to it, and buffed it for about 10 min. The scratch was gone. Ta-da!

Mine took a tumble last week. Was running around with the dog and it flew out of my pocket (stupid running shorts with shallow pockets) onto the driveway. Had a screen protector so it didn't scratch the screen but there are some nice silver spots near the top where I chipped the paint off. It had already fallen out twice, luckily in the grass, but that didn't make me go get the holster that I bought so I wouldn't have to keep putting it in my pocket. doh.

I bought a Sena thin leather pouch a couple months ago for when I put my phone in my pocket. It's really nice — adds virtually no bulk and the phone stays nice and snug. And it also happens to fit not only my Droid but my iPod touch and my iPhone 3GS, too.

I'm not a big fan of bulky cases and I prefer the naked glass screens, so I have to take my chances. The Sena case helps a lot, especially if the stray coin or something finds its way in to my pocket as well.

Well, if anyone actually believes in unscratchable phones, I have some property to sell you. I ran with no protection other than an empty pocket for the first month I had the phone and nothing happened. I just got a belt case and some screen protectors though. No sense in taking chances.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

i feel yea i got couple scratches on my screen im like wtf.. any way im taking it to bestbuy and getting a 143$ trade in on it.. im buying a Incredible and this time i will cover the screen.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

yea i actually think im gonna swap for a incredible as well.

As stated earlier in the thread, scratch resistant doesn't mean unscratchable -- despite whatever videos you may have watched. If you're looking for a screen protector that's close to glass in appearance and feel I highly recommend the Steinheil SGP Crystal. Does nothing for glare or smudges though.
    Last edited by takeshi; 04-19-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Titanic = unsinkable.

Do people still believe anything can be completely impervious to some sort of common problem?

Until our phones are made out of diamond they'll always get scratched. And even then you might scratch it on some cutting laser you got lying around. Shrug.