"Real World" Reasons Why I might get Droid over Incredible

timber

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, ok. Maybe I was off topic and a little over the top, and I apologize for that. But just having the car back from the shop made me a little sensitive to the issue.

From what I understand, the bluetooth dialing is an android, not a hardware restriction. Hope it's fixed soon.

G

GenericMessage

Yeah, it stinks that it cannot be solved it seems.

Just buy the car-dock!

It will keep your eyes on the road! And your hands on the wheel!

That way, everyones happy!

Romple

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it stinks that it cannot be solved it seems.

Just buy the car-dock!

It will keep your eyes on the road! And your hands on the wheel!

That way, everyones happy!

Hardwired car dock (w/ switch to cut off power) + bluetooth head unit = win imo. Pics when I put it all in ;p

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, ok. Maybe I was off topic and a little over the top, and I apologize for that. But just having the car back from the shop made me a little sensitive to the issue.

From what I understand, the bluetooth dialing is an android, not a hardware restriction. Hope it's fixed soon.
I don't know if the blame lies 100% on Android or a hardware issue, because the Devour has BT voice dialing. Its made by Moto and runs Android......so its confusing to me.:confused:

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
You should have your license revoked. If you need to make a call, for everyones sake, please pull over and make it. Even if if you're totally hands free, you're distracted enough that a drunk has a smaller chance of getting in a wreck. Like the signs say "Shut up and drive."

In the last year, my wife's car has been rear-ended twice on the beltline, by people talking on phones.

No worries Timber.... it was just an example drawn up to look worse than it is... ;)

MM

JawKnee37

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Hate to pick at some old wounds but... if I do make this switch, which I am entertaining over my Droid.....

Did "they" fix the bluetooth headset dialing thing yet or not? (And no, I dont care if it's Motorola, Google, or Bluetooths fault, etc... so let's not re-open that old wound too)

• Reach for phone
  • Orientate it (cuz I'm drivin).
  • Unlock the phone.
  • Hope I'm at the home screen..
  • Choose VOICE DIAL.
  • Say persons name..
  • Say persons name, again.. :p
  • Probably say it one more time.. :mad:
  • Then begin my call.... (and soemtimes it never makes the transition to headset anyway. :confused:

All, while driving..

MM

I have myUnlock so I no longer have to slide to unlock the phone.
I use the Dialer One app instead of the default Phone app.
And use the speed dial.

If you use the default Phone app, you can create a Direct Dial Shortcut on a home screen to serve as speed dial.

The Voice Dial is too slow for me. The above methods are much faster I find.

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
You should have your license revoked. If you need to make a call, for everyones sake, please pull over and make it. Even if if you're totally hands free, you're distracted enough that a drunk has a smaller chance of getting in a wreck. Like the signs say "Shut up and drive."

In the last year, my wife's car has been rear-ended twice on the beltline, by people talking on phones.

I drive 90mph on the highway while talking on my cellphone, drinking my coffee with the other. I also eat my McDonald's breakfast sandwich and steer with my knees and have never been distracted once while on the phone. Im more worried about other drivers on the road!

Last edited:
G

GenericMessage

I drive 90mph on the highway while talking on my cellphone, drinking my coffee with the other. I also eat my McDonald's breakfast sandwich and steer with my knees and have never been distracted once while on the phone. Im more worried about other drivers on the road!

Ah, Wyoming and Montana! And that while hauling livestock.....

Back to topic gentlemen/ladies

It seems the hands-free BT dialing is something that will be coming. Telus users with the 2.1 update to their Droid's got that exact feature

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Another big plus for the Droid is being able to see the screen better in the sunlight. Amoled screens are really to see when outside. The Samsung Galaxy S has the Super Amoled screen which reduces the glare 80% allowing the screen to be seen much better in sunlight. So the Droid not having the Amoled screen may just be a plus.

G

GenericMessage

Another big plus for the Droid is being able to see the screen better in the sunlight. Amoled screens are really to see when outside. The Samsung Galaxy S has the Super Amoled screen which reduces the glare 80% allowing the screen to be seen much better in sunlight. So the Droid not having the Amoled screen may just be a plus.

it IS a plus

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
"Real World" Reasons Why I might get Droid over Incredible
I'd add HTC build quality and the existing Droid community if those are things that matter to you. Not saying that the Incredible wouldn't build its own community but it helps to have a large user base to work out issues with.

I'm a little confused by the "drop to 1x" thing...I could be wrong, but I thought that on a verizon phone you have BOTH 3g (evdo) and 1x...As far a I know, VOICE is only carried on 1x ... NOT 3g...3g on verizon is for data ONLY....GSM phones do carry voice on 3g with higher quality..
I can't say for certain as I don't know the details but if that was the case it seems like we should be able to have simultaneous voice and data...

Last edited:
G

GenericMessage

I'd add HTC build quality and the existing Droid community if those are things that matter to you. Not saying that the Incredible wouldn't build its own community but it helps to have a large user base to work out issues with.

I can't say for certain as I don't know the details but if that was the case it seems like we should be able to have simultaneous voice and data...

As i've stated before. You have ONE ESN! If you have your ESN duplicated (on 1x AND 3G) it'll irk the system.

Why Verizon does this, I don't know.

gpf2ez

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I also live in a poor coverage area, was contemplating getting a network extender, but didn't want to spend $300. My wife's HTC Eris drops calls all the time, my Motorola Droid only rarely drops calls. If the Incredible's radio is comparable to the Eris', you will be better served by the Motorola.

From the VZW website

Network Extender 199.99

$99.99 after mail-in rebate

May be time for me to pick one up.

digitalzen

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Hold down the search icon until you feel the second buzz, then say "Call ......" Once the system learns your voice (and you learn to keep it even) it will dial as quickly as you could want.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I also live in a poor coverage area, was contemplating getting a network extender, but didn't want to spend $300. My wife's HTC Eris drops calls all the time, my Motorola Droid only rarely drops calls. If the Incredible's radio is comparable to the Eris', you will be better served by the Motorola.

From the VZW website

Network Extender 199.99

$99.99 after mail-in rebate

May be time for me to pick one up.

Yeah, I saw that the NE was selling at $199.99 now. I didn't know about the MIR for $100. thanks for the heads up. :)

I'm still trying to decide if the NE would be a good investment for me. Considering I would be getting the NE late in the game, and LTE is coming... I'm sure when LTE is rolled out the NE will not work, AND the LTE signal will be just as cr@ppy at my house as the 1x/3g signal is now. :rolleyes:

Edit: Thanks gpf2ez, I just placed my order for the NE. I confirmed with Verizon customer service that I have a 30 day period in which to use the NE, and that I can return it for a full refund if the NE doesn't work as advertised. Also get free 2nd day FedEx shipping. :) FYI, the MIR is in effect on NE's purchased from April 15th 2010 through August 2010 (sorry, I can't remember the exact date the CS rep said), so if you need to wait for any reason to get the NE, the rebate will be available for a while.

Last edited:

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if the blame lies 100% on Android or a hardware issue, because the Devour has BT voice dialing. Its made by Moto and runs Android......so its confusing to me.:confused:

It has something to do with licensed software from another company, IIRC. While BT voice dialing isn't natively supported by the android OS, it can be implemented with the right software, as in your example of the Motorola Devour.

G

GenericMessage

It has something to do with licensed software from another company, IIRC. While BT voice dialing isn't natively supported by the android OS, it can be implemented with the right software, as in your example of the Motorola Devour.

Why doesn't some guy just code a program for it?

That seems to be the Android creed!

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I own a Droid and just returned the HTC Incredible. Droid fills my needs and the Incredible is very very hard to see in bright light, poor battery life, and poor radio signal. The Droid is better in all of these areas. IMHO

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
Hi..ready all the reviews, it really does sound like the Incredible is..well..Incredible...BUT..I have some things that I think might sway me to get moto droid instead..would love users thoughts..

1. Better RF - My home is in a very poor Verizon signal area..I use a Network extender in the house for good coverage...certain areas still barely get one bar on my current phone...an LG with great reception.

2. Really Really want Noise Canceling...One thing that I cant stand is when other call me and their cell phone pushes through so much back ground noise that it hurts my ears...Moto has it...incredible does not..even though Incredible reviews say sound is top notch...moto may be better for the other party in a noisy setting.

3. Gorilla Glass - seems like I can worry less with the moto..if I put phone in pocket with keys, etc...

4. Battery Life - reviews suggest moto has much better life..very key in real world use I think

Would love to hear opinions on this...overall speed of phone is not to critical for me...moto is fast enough..thanks

I just picked up my incredible the other day, coming from droid.
1) I've noticed no change in signal, I get pretty much the same signal strength.

2) The Droid definately has better sound quality, on both ends. I can hear people better on the droid, and people can hear me better on my droid.

3) I've read online that screen is just as tough, however, the Droid screen IS NOT scratch proof, mine has the scratches to prove it. and I am very careful with it. I've never put my phone in my pocket with keys or change. but still gets little hairline marks in it.

4) Battery life is also much better on the droid, My droid is overclocked at 1ghz, and i still got better battery life. and just as fast as the incredible at that speed.

I don't find the AMOLED screen that hard to see in sunlight either.

Overall, I don't have buyers remorse or anything like that, I love Sense, and the droids keyboard is pretty much Useless to me, but I am a phone junkie, and always buy the new hotness. I love the incredible, but in my opinion, the Droid is just a better phone. But the camera is WAAAAYYYY better on the incredible. I'll probably just jump back and forth between phones. I get bored quick.