New Electrify, heres what I think...

DCooper323

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I recently got a Motorola Electrify, and heres my opinion. Prior to this I had a Samsung Mesmerize, and Blackberrys before that.

So, my Pros for this phone

Battery Life- I have noticed that the battery life for this phone is FAR better than the Mesmerize. I am overly shocked that an Android powered phone has such good battery life. After a full charge, and 5 hours off the charger, my phone was still at 80% battery life. Thumbs up.

Speed-This phone is fast. everything. switching through menus, connecting to WiFi, just everything.

Big Display- crystal clear, huge display. and no real negative impact on battery life.

Front facing camera- for the 15 year old in my 26 year old body, facepics with ease!! actually i dont, but it is a good feature.

And heres some Cons..

Deleting Menu pages- I like having 1 main Home Page, and all my other apps in the App page, but as of yet, I cannot figure out how to delete the 6 or so pages.

Ease of Top Menu- I liked on the Mesmerize that i could use the pull down menu and quickly toggle WiFi, GPS, Airplane Mode, Silent mode. On the Electrify, I dont seem to have that luxury.

Personalization- On the Mesmerize, I could change the system font, to add a little customization, which was throughout the phone. menus, settings, even text messages. not available on my Electrify.

Different keyboards- I had options on what style keyboard I could use on the Mesmerize, not so much on this one.

Disclaimer- I may have just not figured out how to do these things, so dont take my word 100% on this.

Also, I give this phone a 4.5 out of 5, even with the cons. it is a GREAT phone. I love it.

rtabisz

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I too switched from Mesmerize to Electrify. I was having problems with the mesmerize camera shutting down the phone everytime the flash was used. I brought it in to the store and since it was 30 day trial period they let me go ahead and make the switch. I love this phone way more than the mesmerize. Its quicker, bigger screen, front facing camera and of course the kickstand!

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
HUGE design flaw. Kickstand props, making the charging port inaccessible....

Just so you no , you can turn the phone the other way and it will rest on the kickstand and your ports will be on top.
It really makes me wonder if when this phone and the Photon were first introduced if the initial reviewers just used the kickstand the wrong way and everybody just assumed that was the way it was supposed to work

This has been talked about in the Photon section and there is now even a link to the youtube video for those that dont believe it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU5zVK5j9tc

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Heard its a good phone and i see everybody hates the mesmerize. Im about ready to trash mine and its a month old. 2.3 update on it trashed it more.

I getting the new curve friday.

But the electrify does look like a great phone and moto has had great succes with droids even the new razr is a droid

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Mesmerize to the Electrify. With the exception of the screen (the Mes amoled is a better screen) there is no comparison. The Electrify is amazingly fast in opening apps, rendering web pages, gps features, downloading apps/updates, and using/working with any app. The battery life is pretty good as well. But what impresses me the most is the signal strength and call quality. Motorola continues its strength as a top-notch phone, with an outstanding radio/receiver, so call quality is fantastic. Especially for me who uses the phone in rural and remote areas. Even with all of the "bells and whistles" that smartphones have (that we all enjoy) the (phone) is still what is most important to me. The Electrify is an outstanding phone. No regrets.:)

Harley Kid

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I too switched from the iTurd back to the Electrify. The ease and speed this phone works is amazing. It upgrades apps and connects to the wireless without hesitation and I have not dropped a single call (even in the mountain valleys of NH). As long as the charging cord is facing up, the kickstand is a non-issue and having tried a few different keyboards, I am going to stick with the SwiftKey for now and call it close to perfect. Awesome phone and no regrets

aaronrkelly

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I also switched from the Mes......and HATED the Electrify for the first week. I almost returned it 3 or 4 times.

It was just the small stuff......the handy toggle widgets you mentioned being a biggie. It just seemed that everything on the Mes was right where you'd expect it.....and everything on the Moto isnt. The Moto charging ports are in the wrong place for how I use the phone.

I gave it a couple weeks to get "use" to the phone.....its gotten better and Im keeping it.

Cons....
At best the camera isnt an improvement over the Mes....despite the 8mp to 5mp "upgrade". At worse....I think the Mes takes better pics in low light. Cant disable the shutter sound.

The screen is washed out and the colors are off compared to the Mes screen.....I love the Mes screen.

The stock interface sucks the balls.

The stupid way the microSD card is integrated into the OS......SDCARD points to internal memory.....SDCARD-EXT points to the external memory.....makes keeping all my important data on the SD card a biatch.

Its big

Pros.......
Its fast as hell, seriously Satan came up and ticketed me for a speeding phone the other day...honest

Well built......yeah its big.....but its big and beautiful......its a BBP

Ive overcome most of the shortcoming with ROOT and some apps.....so Im down to just the screen not being "as good" as the Mes, the SD card issue and the weird charge port placement. Oh....and its still big....Ive not been able to shrink it yet.

pryan#AC

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I got the Electrify based upon all of the excellent reviews it got. I changed carriers and went from an iPhone to the Electrify. One of the main reasons people liked it, and this meant a lot to me, was that it did not drop calls. My iPhone consistently dropped calls and I've not yet had that issue. It does what I want/need, even more so than a Blackberry. It is FAST! My only real complaint is its size. It's a bit big for someone like me who puts it in his shirt pocket. Beyond that, so far so good.

RWC4USC

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the Electrify based upon all of the excellent reviews it got. I changed carriers and went from an iPhone to the Electrify. One of the main reasons people liked it, and this meant a lot to me, was that it did not drop calls. My iPhone consistently dropped calls and I've not yet had that issue. It does what I want/need, even more so than a Blackberry. It is FAST! My only real complaint is its size. It's a bit big for someone like me who puts it in his shirt pocket. Beyond that, so far so good.

Couldnt agree with you more. This phone is simply amazing and I sell the hell out of them. Which means US Cellular will most likely continue to do business with Motorola and all of their Android powered devices to come.

skrautkramer1

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the Kick Stand. Definitely opens from the wrong side. Can't have it open and have it on the charger. Pain in the butt, especially if you are watching a show or something. But otherwise, the phone is absolutely wonderful. I also went from the Mesmerize to this and would never go back. Now my husband who is with another company is waiting for his contract to be up so he can get this phone. lol

dixie_boysles

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the Kick Stand. Definitely opens from the wrong side. Can't have it open and have it on the charger. Pain in the butt, especially if you are watching a show or something. But otherwise, the phone is absolutely wonderful. I also went from the Mesmerize to this and would never go back. Now my husband who is with another company is waiting for his contract to be up so he can get this phone. lol

you can stand the phone up either way so the charge port is up top

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Well im about to lose my electrify. Only because i am switching carriers. Im going to sprint because of better service in my area. Now the debate is get the photon or the iphone

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of samsung phones. I had a galaxy s and now my wife does and she hates hers. The only phones im considering are the photon and the iphone

dragontology

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Now I feel like a fool... did not think to reverse the kickstand. Still, that's only as good as the spring that keeps it out. Once it wears the kickstand is useless again when charging.

I love my Electrify and I found Thumb Keyboard to be the best, but it isn't free. I got it for free on Amazon though, haha free app of the day.

One bug I have found is that Electrify loses Wifi when it sleeps. Wasn't this a big iPhone problem?? It will discover the network and reconnect, but to save battery it should stick to my home Wifi and not stretch to find 3G.

I agree about the radio. I came from the Samsung Acclaim and due to how bad that phone was, I never want another Samsung product ever again. And I had a *good* one (no issues). Somebody at Samsung needs a swift kick to the junk for making an Android phone with 160MB of RAM. With the Acclaim, I could only get service if my phone was in the window. Bluetooth was necessary to talk on the phone indoors. Having had the Acclaim for 18 months, the Electrify continues to blow my mind by letting me get signal anywhere in my home. Even the bathroom, which I dubbed the Faraday cage. My Electrify has made me lazy. If I can take it off silent before, my wife will call me and I can talk on the phone in bed. Impossible with the Acclaim.

And games! I can play Angry Birds now! Haha. Not a big fan of mobile gaming, but Fruit Ninja is fun as hell. I guess Angry Birds is okay. I want Spin Doctor. You know, on Macs back in the day? That would be awesome for touch. Why has it not happened?! Grrr... Asphalt 5 is a cute tech demo. Can't take it seriously. Computer drives perfectly and the controls suck. Sure is pretty though. Had a coworker in his 60s play it. He got the controls and actually had fun. It was great. My biggest thing is emulators but I need a hardware controller. On-screen controls are not good enough. Even in Zelda 3. I haven't died in the Eastern Palace since I was 12. For shame. Haha.

I'm also confused by sdcard (internal memory) and sdcard-ext (the cars itself). Plus the Electrify copies most if not all of sdcard-ext to sdcard when they first meet. Yay for duplicate files! Consolidated it all on sdcard, Electrify seems to be okay with that. Also for bonus ninja cred, I put the PortableApps menu and a few favorite portable apps in sdcard (and a .nomedia in \mnt\sdcard\PortableApps so all those splash screens and image resource files don't show up in my gallery) so i can run PC software off my phone while charging on any PC. Hey, it's not true webtop, but it's free! Now I just need an Android or Motorola wallpaper for the menu's automatic wallpaper changer...

Want a better gallery? Look up Quickpic. It's pretty nice.

Ironically my favorite app worked great on the Acclaim: FBReader. I'm an avid reader and was slow to adopt ebooks, but I thought I'd try it and I've been hooked. Electrify lets me get more words on the screen though, that's for sure!

With regard to the stock launcher, it's not bad, but I use LauncherPro. For the guy who just wants one home screen, LP will let you, even in the free version.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk