So I guess no one likes this guy

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
So I guess it's pretty clear that no one really likes this phone,since this sub section has been up for a while now. Is there anyone out there who intends to buy this?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the people this one is marketed to aren't the types to go on the internet to chat about phones :p

But when and if they have questions, we're ready!

LiquidAppo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
That's true. I'm really not into mid-range phones, but this device is just a shame. If they hadn't put that ugly trackpad there, or placed a tiny optical one, they could of gotten the touchscreen up to 3.4 or 3.5 inches, maybe more, and this would of been a decent little mid-range QWERTY.

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm, sadly enough, actually considering this as my entry into Android. Though I'm kind of getting the impression this wouldn't give me a very indication of what Android is all about.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm, sadly enough, actually considering this as my entry into Android. Though I'm kind of getting the impression this wouldn't give me a very indication of what Android is all about.

it wouldn't. if you are on at&t, i would recommend checking out the Captivate, as it is arguably the best Android device there is on the big orange. at&t has not been too kind to Android so far, but the Galaxy S series (which is what the Captivate falls under) is a fine lineup of phones, and will certainly give you a better sense of what android is all about.

there is nothing wrong with the mid/entry-level devices, but people who have used other smartphones in the past should not have much issue jumping in on a high-end device

t3

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Flipside. First android device. I have a Crackberry for work and HATE it.
Criteria for the folks at ATT was No Crackberry, No Windows, Need keyboard.

I am happy so far. Trying to figure out how to hide/disable/remove all the pay apps
that ATT puts on that clutter up the screen.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got my Flipside. First android device. I have a Crackberry for work and HATE it.
Criteria for the folks at ATT was No Crackberry, No Windows, Need keyboard.

I am happy so far. Trying to figure out how to hide/disable/remove all the pay apps
that ATT puts on that clutter up the screen.

cant remove them from the app drawer without rooting, which is unlikely to happen for this device. if there is any shortcuts on your homescreens that you dont want, you can remove them. if this is your first android phone, i would highly recommend checking out the article in my signature

ptrich

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at this one a bit, but it was so new that there weren’t any reviews on it yet and the guy at the ATT store pretty much panned it, so I went with the Aria, which I’m very happy with and had been out for awhile so I knew what I was getting.

MannyB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I got the Flipside as a backup phone and a way to check out Android. At the time I got it, I was still stuck on the idea of having a physical keyboard. I'm an Android convert now and no longer stuck on the need for a physical keyboard. An Atrix is in the plans for the main phone replacement.

squ1rr3l

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had this phone a couple of months, and I actually like it (now). The biggest issues are the low storage (combined with the inability to use the SD card for much), and all the pre-loaded apps that can't be removed.

For me, it was between this and the iPhone, but the physical keyboard was the real selling point for this.

I also had some battery issues for a while, where I could only get 5-6 hours out of a charge during normal use. I fixed that by getting rid of all the social networking widgets, and installing LauncherPro as the interface to replace the built-in one. This set-up also provides much better performance from the phone than I was getting before.

Another tip if you have this phone: Do NOT use the "auto-end" list in the Task Manager app. It will absolutely kill the battery, and it seems to me it was causing some of the slowness on the phone when I tried using it.