Android 2.2 (Froyo)?!?!

MrSlim71

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Android 2.2 (Froyo) for the Motorola i1?!?!

I'm just curious, but is there any chance that this new operating system from Android will be available for the i1? I am thinking of getting this phone for Boost Mobile and this is the only road block (other than the $400 price tag), at the moment.

And even though it may very well be stuck with the 1.5 OS for a while, is it still worth getting anyway?

Last edited:

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Considering that the phone was launched with 1.5 and not even at least 1.6, I would assume that it will never see Froyo. Heck, I would also assume that even 2.1 (Eclair) is a long shot. But I hope I'm wrong for the sake of its users.

MrSlim71

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So, is this phone still worth getting, considering that I'm a Boost customer and I'm looking for a quality touchscreen phone or should I just hold out for something better down the road?

ems12a

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
IMO the best option on Boost Mobile at the present time is the Blackberry curve. The i1 is for DC customers who use DC and want an android phone "experience".

The i1 I don't think was designed or targeted at the mass high end smart phone market. It is a niche phone for the people still on the old sub dial up IDEN networks.

Just my opinion.

niecy10

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess the only way that I too will find out if Froyo will work on My Motorola i1 is to call them or look on the web site for system requirements.

niecy10

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious, but is there any chance that this new operating system from Android will be available for the i1? I am thinking of getting this phone for Boost Mobile and this is the only road block (other than the $400 price tag), at the moment.

And even though it may very well be stuck with the 1.5 OS for a while, is it still worth getting anyway?
What did you end of getting?? I just got the Motorola i1 on ebay, brand new in the box. I like the phone a lot, it sounds cool, looks advanced, the swipe keyboard is great. The iden net work is slow, though. I am still trying to find out if FROYO will work. that would be so cool! The WIFI makes up for the slow iden internet access. at times the iden is good, and sometimes it's not. it really depends on where you live. If you are in a hotspot most of the time GET THIS PHONE!! need I say more?:)

MrSlim71

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
IMO the best option on Boost Mobile at the present time is the Blackberry curve. The i1 is for DC customers who use DC and want an android phone "experience".

The i1 I don't think was designed or targeted at the mass high end smart phone market. It is a niche phone for the people still on the old sub dial up IDEN networks.

Just my opinion.
I assume you're talking about the 'Direct Connect' (aka 'chirp') features of the old Nextel network.

Anyway, I have the BB Curve 8330 for Boost and I like it, but I hate that it has very little internal memory (32 MB, to be exact). I can only have a few apps on there at a time. The i1 has like 260 MB, I believe. That's almost 10x more space!!! Plus, you actually have the option to store apps on the SD card, if you want with the Android.

Last edited:

hunterintustin#AC

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Many people don't consider the Free data in Canada and Mexico while using Nextel. YES, it's free and I don't see Sprint changing their prices anytime soon. Even if you just get data speeds that rival dial-up connections, you are still able to access your emails and basic web browsing.

I am using the i1 in Mexico a lot and I love it (use a NII sim). I used the i930 before and it works well too.

chris4404

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're not interested in Two-Way (Chirping) move on. This device won't even see 1.6 from what Motorola's said previously and there really doesn't have a compelling reason to switch to it unless your stuck on iDen.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If you're not interested in Two-Way (Chirping) move on. This device won't even see 1.6 from what Motorola's said previously and there really doesn't have a compelling reason to switch to it unless your stuck on iDen.

Since when does Motorola even care about non-Droid devices anyway?

plcd22

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
well I just got one for my wife (she has had DC since 2003 and won't give that up because her parents both have DC and live 5 hours away from us), she had a i730 up until last week when I UPGRADED her... that being said it is a decent phone and so far works pretty well. Yes it is slower (than say my Palm Pre) but it still get around and has a decent feel and usability to it. This is my first experience with Android though so I am sure that if you have had something more than 1.5 this will be a step in the wrong direction. But for the people out there that are stuck on DC but want a smartphone this is the one for you, just use wifi whenever you can and you are set!

Hope that helps!

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
The motorola I1 is has good potential but it probably won't live up to it. I just got done posting about this else where but the phone is more than capable of handling froyo (maybe gingerbread). I just feel like motorola will do to this phone what samsung did to the behold2.

MotoDroid

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I recently emailed Google about a software upgrade for this phone,and they replied that it is up to the carrier(Sprint). So our only chance is to start requesting Sprint about this upgrade for the I1. The more request they get the better, so lets start requesting.

bmbaker2k5

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I am on boost with the i1 and use ptt for work. It is a great phone but an getting a promotion and a company issued nextel so I will be switching to sprint and getting the samsung epic 4g. I've heard it of beret than the htc evo 4g. But yeah the i1 is still an amazing phone. It is my first android phone and it definitely converted me from blackberry to android

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The wife and I had blackberry's I got a Samsung Epic and she will not give up ptt so this was her only android phone she could get and she hated it at first because it was noting like my Epic.

It's grown on her a bit she still misses typing on her blackberry vs the on screen kb. Man the Internet is painfully slow on there, our work around for that is my Epic. I turn the hotspot feature on and her phone just leaches off my 4G so she can used pandora/web/market/facebook.

I do wish it got updated....I'm not looking for the newest android but something a bit better than now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome