Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Thumbs up Some Best Buys have the Triumph now, just got mine...

Check your local Best Buy. Some have them in stock already, and if you ask specifically for it, they might let you buy it. I've read others that have done this, and just did it myself.
    Thanked by 2:
    cbillr00t 
    tmadijimmy and fredrick1213 like this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Default Re: Some Best Buys have the Triumph now, just got mine...

post a review about it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Check your local Best Buy. Some have them in stock already, and if you ask specifically for it, they might let you buy it. I've read others that have done this, and just did it myself.
    So, what did it cost? What do you think of it? Have you activated it yet? What other phones have you used in the past that you can compare it to? How much bloatware is on it? Please post when you can answer these questions,and can estimate probable battery life.

Cbill
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Haven't had much time to dig real deep into it... just activated it, got my setup going with all my main apps, and tinkered with it a bit.

I've had a Droid 1, Droid X, Droid Inc, Thunderbolt, Droid X2, Droid Inc2, LG Optimus V, and now this. So a pretty good lineup to compare to.

It's solid. External speaker is good, earpiece is good. Runs smoothly so far - haven't given it a real rigorous test yet. Feels like a Droid X without the hump, though it's a tad thicker than the X's thin area.

It's $300 at Best Buy. I'm hoping battery life will be solid, but obviously I can't vouch for that yet. Just now got it fully charged. There are a few VM apps, but it's not that bad... the usual Twidroid, Poynt, etc. Other than those, it's pure vanilla 2.2.

The signal doesn't seem quite as strong as the Optimus V, but it seems to have a more consistent data connection - oddly enough. My office building is pretty weak, and it maintained a decent 3G connection even in here.

As long as battery life is solid, I think I'll really be glad to have this. It appears to be a solid phone - and for $25 (soon $35) a month, I'll take that any day. It runs pretty comparable to the original Droid X at this point. I'll try and put it through the ringer and post up more info, but won't be able to much tonight. Once I get the kids down, it's off to meet some friends then be a real nerd and watch the midnight showing of Harry Potter...
    muoi13 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

One oddity... haven't figured out how to access the FFC yet - main camera app doesn't have the option. Hoping it's not disabled by default - need to get some root access! I'm tempted to try rooting it with Gingerbreak, but haven't taken the plunge yet. But again, haven't dug real deep into it yet...

please for the love of all things.. please see if you can root it! i beg you.. its the only thing stopping me from buying this phone

If you're going to buy it from BestBuy at least use the 10% off coupon, Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor5150 View Post
    please for the love of all things.. please see if you can root it! i beg you.. its the only thing stopping me from buying this phone
    People have successfully rooted the device with gingerbreak. What remains a mysterious is whether the phone comes with a locked bootloader. How would you test the device to see if it has a locked bootloader out of curiosity?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

RECOVERY:
    vol-up/vol-dn (same time) + power on
    home soft button toggles menu on and off
    volume up/down moves in the menu
    back soft button selects

BOOTLOADER: (I think)
    vol-dn + power on

not sure how to get past this point, but it says this over and over again...
    Incoming Download Mode
    polling, get oemsbl_mode = 1

etc... tried everything to get past there. Battery pull was all I could do to get out of it. Not sure if it's waiting on something like rsdlite or what. Also not sure how to tell if it's locked or unlocked. Doesn't look like other bootloaders I've seen on Verizon Moto phones, even the newest ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Copernico View Post
    If you're going to buy it from BestBuy at least use the 10% off coupon, Best Buy

People have successfully rooted the device with gingerbreak. What remains a mysterious is whether the phone comes with a locked bootloader. How would you test the device to see if it has a locked bootloader out of curiosity?
    adb reboot bootloader
    if that takes you there reboot back into normal mode use dd to back up recovery and then reboot back into bootloader and flash the recovery
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

i'll try that in a bit... i'm semi-familiar with adb, but "dd" ? afk for a bit until kids go down

well, rephrase... i've used dd, but not familiar enough with it to just "use" it that easily...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

haven't gotten my computer to see the phone yet with adb, but rooted, using terminal emulator, reboot bootloader simply reboots the phone

Congratulations!

Can you enable the mobile hotspot with the Quick Settings (or similar) app?

Are you able to actually connect to it?
    Koui likes this.

got the phone but will be exchanging it tomorrow morning -- not vibrating....
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

no swype... but you can get the beta

oh and I was wrong about the FFC, you CAN get to it, just didn't see the "other" settings icon under the camera before

Understanding bootloader Know Your Android Bootloader
    If you see me coming you better get out of the say cause I'm a one man murder scene...

I am a Android running on a one million processor with 11 cores....UNSTOPABLE BABY

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2, Mango

Went to a few Best Buys in the area today and they all said that they had it but couldn't sell it to me due to the fact that they could accrue a $10,000 fine if they did before the "hard street date." Kind of dumb, but I can understand. I guess some people just got lucky.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sportsinger75 View Post
    Went to a few Best Buys in the area today and they all said that they had it but couldn't sell it to me due to the fact that they could accrue a $10,000 fine if they did before the "hard street date." Kind of dumb, but I can understand. I guess some people just got lucky.
    I'm hearing of some people that aren't able to activate it today, and VM is telling them it can't be activated until the 20th... who knows.

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2, Mango

I'm hearing of some people that aren't able to activate it today, and VM is telling them it can't be activated until the 20th... who knows.
    Honestly, I really wouldn't care if I couldn't activate it today, I just want to play around with it, lol. But really, I probably just need to be more patient...

ROM
    CM7 Gingerbread 2.3.4

What state are you in?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staticmaal View Post
    What state are you in?
    Texas - Dallas area to be exact... my Best Buy tends to be one of the bigger ones, so I think it has a good chance of having certain things in stock earlier... just guessing though.

Okay, I bought a Optimus two days ago to lock in the $25 dollar plan and today I decided to walk into the best buy I worked by to see if they had them. Surprise! They were on the hook! So I grabbed it and was even able to activate. I think that was because they are only locking it out for new activations, not esn swaps. Also, be sure to use this coupon at best buy. You'll get 10% off ($32 bucks or so)

Best Buy

FYI, I'm not going to see if the bootloader is locked or try to root it. I'll leave that for the more experienced and do it when the kinks are ironed out.

Any Questions? I'll answer.

to check if bootloader is locked is reaal easy just need a comp or laptop
    If you see me coming you better get out of the say cause I'm a one man murder scene...

I am a Android running on a one million processor with 11 cores....UNSTOPABLE BABY
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by austrie View Post
    to check if bootloader is locked is reaal easy just need a comp or laptop
    I'm relatively familiar with adb and all that. If I can get the computer to see the phone in adb (even with Moto drivers in right now...), I'll gladly try it out if someone will give me a little guidance.

ROM
    Rooted Stock

Got one! Silky smooth! But Virgin's site wont let me log in

Hotspot?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast