Wifi Hotspot?

ZReese

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Triumph. I tried using the Quick Settings app, but tapping the Wifi Hotspot option doesn't do anything. You can't even configure the hotspot (tapping Portable Wi-Fi hotspot shows "Error" beneath it), so it looks like it would need a custom rom or something. Considering they announced that they were going to throttle data right before the Triumph was to come out along with raising the prices of Beyond Talk, would make sense that they were moving away from it.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
if you absolutely have to tether, get a optimus V, but be warned they will start capping soon so your better off just buying real internet

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay well maybe some one with a triumph could try because its worked on every Android Device I've owned.

The only reason it worked for the OV. Is because they only got rid of the tethering menu not the entire feature. For the triumph they removed the whole thing. It will not work until we start getting some custom roms.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Cyanogen pumps out a Rom for y'all soon if not I'm sure some kind hearted dev will cook up an Aospmod or a cm7 Rom soon enough.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Your gonna have to edit services.jar. What I would do and already started but it was boring so I stopped about 75% through the process.
1) get the services.jar from both the optimus v 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 rom
2) get apkmanager and then update the files inside (apktool.jar aapt)
3) decompile both services.jar then open the smali files in notepad++ and use the compare function to compare the files. Notepad++ will show you the differences
do this for each smali file while keeping track of all the differences (don't worry about .line differences)
4) Make the changes to your services.jar
5) Become hero of motorola triumph users for enabling wifi hotspot

Okay why use the opimus v services.jar because it's stock android just like the triumph and the compare and changes can be easily made since the services.jar will be for the most part the same.

You will still have to use an app to access the functions for now. I suggest tethering widget by alek chymr

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
if you absolutely have to tether, get a optimus V, but be warned they will start capping soon so your better off just buying real internet

Not everyone who wants / needs / uses Wifi Hotspot is necessarily abusing or overusing their data allowance. I need/use the hotspot feature and halfway thru my monthly cycle I've used a grand total of 210MB.

Sent from my VM670

bjones72751

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone who wants / needs / uses Wifi Hotspot is necessarily abusing or overusing their data allowance. I need/use the hotspot feature and halfway thru my monthly cycle I've used a grand total of 210MB.

Sent from my VM670

Hows that even possible? I don't ever use hotspot, I'm only using data when I'm at work or somewhere without wifi, and I've used 309mb in 2 weeks. I'm by no means a power user, I just check tapatalk every couple hours and use Pandora when working/driving. Not doubting you, just wondering how little you use your phone.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hows that even possible? I don't ever use hotspot, I'm only using data when I'm at work or somewhere without wifi, and I've used 309mb in 2 weeks. I'm by no means a power user, I just check tapatalk every couple hours and use Pandora when working/driving. Not doubting you, just wondering how little you use your phone.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I use a lot of Wifi. Always use Wifi when I'm at home, and I work from home.

I was just giving my personal example to support the fact that not all Wifi hotspot users use it a lot or abuse data with it. For me its a convenience I need, but my actual data requirements are light.

For regular 3G usage, I do stream Pandora and Stitcher in the car and when I'm walking the dog. But I don't commute, so my total usage is probably only a couple hours a week tops of streaming.

Sent from my VM670

bryanjbenn

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
WiFi tether has been achieved!

I read over on Howard Forums and had to try it for myself. You have to have rooted your MT and then install Barnacle WiFi Tether from the market. Apparently, and I'm not sure why, what is important is that the MTU of your network connection on your computer is what is important. An MTU of 1472 seems to be the max I can set on my laptops NIC and be able to connect and utilize the tethering. Any higher than that and it won't work. Again this is the MTU of the NIC on the system you are trying to connect to your phone!!!

Sending this as we speak from my laptop tethered to my MT!!

Happy Surfing!!!!

bludd

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
WiFi tether has been achieved!

I read over on Howard Forums and had to try it for myself. You have to have rooted your MT and then install Barnacle WiFi Tether from the market. Apparently, and I'm not sure why, what is important is that the MTU of your network connection on your computer is what is important. An MTU of 1472 seems to be the max I can set on my laptops NIC and be able to connect and utilize the tethering. Any higher than that and it won't work. Again this is the MTU of the NIC on the system you are trying to connect to your phone!!!

Sending this as we speak from my laptop tethered to my MT!!

Happy Surfing!!!!

Has anyone done a writeup for it?

bryanjbenn

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone done a writeup for it?

Setting the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) will not be the same process for everyone. Where you change it on your computer/laptop will vary depending on what NIC you have and what OS you're running. Just google changing MTU for your operating system and that should get you a start. I use Ubuntu Linux and to change it go to System...Preferences....Network Connections......select the network connection you wish to change (wired or wireless) ....then select Edit and change the MTU size at the bottom to 1472

lepy

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
1472 is the magic number for wireless tethering! I can confirm it working on windows 7 and ubuntu 32/64. Should work for anything that allows manual mtu setting. Hooray!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair