Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marka4jr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Triumphant Review

I see a lot of negativity surrounding this phone so I just wanted to make a post to give my 2cents on the thing having owned one for 4 days now.

First off I bought the thing from Best Buy for retail price. Right now they are offering a 50$ gift card with the purchase of the phone with new activation. I already had Virgin with the optimus V so I couldnt do a new activation but they gave me the giftcard anyway.

Accessories: I know Best Buys prices are ridiculous, especially when it comes to accessories but I viewed the giftcard they gave me as free money and used it to buy a micro HDMI cable and the Rocketfish case (only case currently available) it cost me 50.82$ (0.82cents out of pocket). The Rocketfish case is listed a being made of silicon; it is not. It is a hybrid soft plastic, definitely stiff enough not to flex or fall off and smooth enough not to collect lint. Honestly this case is the best cell phone skin I have ever owned, not great for protecting from drops but seriously the screen is 4.1" and it practically goes edge to edge, there is not going to be a case that will keep this thing from cracking if its dropped on a corner, maybe if you tape 1" of Styrofoam around all edges, I dunno but for 20$ the rocketfish is worth it. Its smooth, looks great, its thin enough so it doesnt add bulk, and it does add protection.

HDMI Output: AWESOME. picture on my 47" sony is clean and crisp, you can adjust the output resolution by clicking the tv icon in the notification area once the HDMI cable is plugged in. Most mobile phone video is streamed at low resolution but you can set your phones browser to desktop mode and go to youtube and stream HD using flash player (you have to download flash player from the market it does not ship with the phone but the phone is designed to run it).

LCD Display: There is a blue tint, it sucks but get use to it because the resolution on the display is incredible. Its 800 x 480 which is the same spec as the thunderbolt and I think it looks just as good (except the bue tint). There are complaints about sensitivity but apparently motorola applied a thick plastic layer to the screen's glass (probably to help protect it from cracking or shattering) but none the less if you remove the thick plastic layer its apparently much more sensitive. I did not remove it, I think its fine as is. I even have the stock plastic tabbed screen protector still on it I just cut off the plastic tab and it serves as extra protection.

Processor: Its fast, its no thunderbolt or I Phone but It runs every game Ive tried very well. Wifi and I think even 3G internet loads a TON faster then the Optimus thanks to having more power. Its pretty sweet.

Memory: I have not seen a spec sheet that has this correct yet. Its got 1 GIG of storage onboard, comes with 2 GIG SD card, and has 512 MD of ram.

GPS: I dont know what the complaints are here, its just as good as my optimus and my garmin.... It takes time to track your location... I dont use my GPS a lot but when I do it seems to take on average about 20 seconds to find my location and load my route.

Battery: I dont know what to say about it, I pretty much live with a charger now since Ive owned an android, it seems like it would probably last a day with light use but I havent let it go a whole day without charging yet... Its rated at less talk time then the optimus so Id imagine you get less play time too. This shouldnt be a knock on the triumph, every high powered android phone has battery issues, even the iPhone.

--edit-- if you are lucky to have a 5below store near you go pick up a car charger or extra home charger for 5$ (cheaper then ebay with shipping)

Time without Signal: Its got issues here... I did a PRL update found here: HOW TO: Motorola Triumph PRL Swap It seems to have corrected the TWS issues. read the post of how to do it on page 5 its revised and a much better way to do it. Im using prl 1115 and I have not had Time without Signal yet, that is unless Im in an area where I do not have signal...

I dont know what else to say about the phone. I think its damn good phone, much better then I ever expected from virgin mobile. With a 1ghz processor and decent ram/memory I dont think its going to be outdated technology anytime soon like the optimus was before it was even released.

If you have any questions or want to know more ill try to respond the best I can.
    Last edited by marka4jr; 07-26-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    staticmaal likes this.

ROM
    Bumblebee

Default Re: Triumphant Review

good review. I agree it's a nice phone.
    I checked out the best buy website and I don't see the $50 promotion.
    I bought it full price and I used a 10% coupon that I found here on the forum, but I still have the receipt and I would definitely go back for the GC
    Optimus V> Motorola Triumph
    Bye bye iPhone, I'm done paying $80 a month! I love Android!
    Kickbacks referral code pDL6Fou0

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 2, Mango

Yeah, I agree with all your statements here. I'm tired of people constantly complaining about the phone because it makes developers less likely to cook up some custom roms. I'm completely satisfied with my device save for just a few kicks, and its way better than my Optimus V. I'll never go back to a smaller screen again, that's for sure. Lol

Sent from my Moto Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by marka4jr View Post
    Processor: Its fast, its no thunderbolt or I Phone but It runs every game Ive tried very well. Wifi and I think even 3G internet loads a TON faster then the Optimus thanks to having more power. Its pretty sweet.
    Actually, it has exactly the same cpu and gpu as the HTC Thunderbolt and Xperia play (Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255 1ghz and Adreno 205 GPU)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by gimmi80 View Post
    good review. I agree it's a nice phone.
    I checked out the best buy website and I don't see the $50 promotion.
    I bought it full price and I used a 10% coupon that I found here on the forum, but I still have the receipt and I would definitely go back for the GC
    You can only see the offer if you view the ad from a pc that has flash player, or just find one of their weekly flyers
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by theboundless View Post
    Actually, it has exactly the same cpu and gpu as the HTC Thunderbolt and Xperia play (Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255 1ghz and Adreno 205 GPU)
    Oh, I thought the Thunderbolt had a dual core processor, my mistake
    zjs

What's the build quality like? Does it feel solid? Plastic or metal feel?

I see a lot of negativity surrounding this phone so I just wanted to make a post to give my 2cents on the thing having owned one for 4 days now.

First off I bought the thing from Best Buy for retail price. Right now they are offering a 50$ gift card with the purchase of the phone with new activation. I already had Virgin with the optimus V so I couldnt do a new activation but they gave me the giftcard anyway.

Accessories: I know Best Buys prices are ridiculous, especially when it comes to accessories but I viewed the giftcard they gave me as free money and used it to buy a micro HDMI cable and the Rocketfish case (only case currently available) it cost me 50.82$ (0.82cents out of pocket). The Rocketfish case is listed a being made of silicon; it is not. It is a hybrid soft plastic, definitely stiff enough not to flex or fall off and smooth enough not to collect lint. Honestly this case is the best cell phone skin I have ever owned, not great for protecting from drops but seriously the screen is 4.1" and it practically goes edge to edge, there is not going to be a case that will keep this thing from cracking if its dropped on a corner, maybe if you tape 1" of Styrofoam around all edges, I dunno but for 20$ the rocketfish is worth it. Its smooth, looks great, its thin enough so it doesnt add bulk, and it does add protection.

HDMI Output: AWESOME. picture on my 47" sony is clean and crisp, you can adjust the output resolution by clicking the tv icon in the notification area once the HDMI cable is plugged in. Most mobile phone video is streamed at low resolution but you can set your phones browser to desktop mode and go to youtube and stream HD using flash player (you have to download flash player from the market it does not ship with the phone but the phone is designed to run it).

LCD Display: There is a blue tint, it sucks but get use to it because the resolution on the display is incredible. Its 800 x 480 which is the same spec as the thunderbolt and I think it looks just as good (except the bue tint). There are complaints about sensitivity but apparently motorola applied a thick plastic layer to the screen's glass (probably to help protect it from cracking or shattering) but none the less if you remove the thick plastic layer its apparently much more sensitive. I did not remove it, I think its fine as is. I even have the stock plastic tabbed screen protector still on it I just cut off the plastic tab and it serves as extra protection.

Memory: I have not seen a spec sheet that has this correct yet. Its got 1 GIG of storage onboard, comes with 2 GIG SD card, and has 512 MD of ram.

GPS: I dont know what the complaints are here, its just as good as my optimus and my garmin.... It takes time to track your location... I dont use my GPS a lot but when I do it seems to take on average about 20 seconds to find my location and load my route.

Battery: I dont know what to say about it, I pretty much live with a charger now since Ive owned an android, it seems like it would probably last a day with light use but I havent let it go a whole day without charging yet... Its rated at less talk time then the optimus so Id imagine you get less play time too. This shouldnt be a knock on the triumph, every high powered android phone has battery issues, even the iPhone.

--edit-- if you are lucky to have a 5below store near you go pick up a car charger or extra home charger for 5$ (cheaper then ebay with shipping)

Time without Signal: Its got issues here... I did a PRL update found here: HOW TO: Motorola Triumph PRL Swap It seems to have corrected the TWS issues. read the post of how to do it on page 5 its revised and a much better way to do it. Im using prl 1115 and I have not had Time without Signal yet, that is unless Im in an area where I do not have signal...

I dont know what else to say about the phone. I think its damn good phone, much better then I ever expected from virgin mobile. With a 1ghz processor and decent ram/memory I dont think its going to be outdated technology anytime soon like the optimus was before it was even released.

If you have any questions or want to know more ill try to respond the best I can.
    So the prl update, how much was it worth it? It seems a bit complicated, if it's not a huge difference I'd rather not do it. Also, do you know of any easier way to do it when the phone is rooted? Thanks!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

[QUOTE=xxchris505xx;1136152]So the prl update, how much was it owlorth it? It seems a bit complicated, if it's not a huge difference I'd rather not dio it. Also, do you know of any easier way to do it when the phone is rooted? Thanks![/QUOT

The build quality is that of a very solid plastic phone, the prl update seems to of corrected the time without signal issue so it's done a ton for me
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

and follow the instructions on page 5 of the link i posted it is very simple if you take the time to read the whole thing, I have not found a better way root or not

and follow the instructions on page 5 of the link i posted it is very simple if you take the time to read the whole thing, I have not found a better way root or not
    Totally agree, just as the PRL update on the OV was a godsend, updating the PRL on the MT noticeably increases the bars I see, and so far, there isn't any place that I've gotten a connection with the OV which I can't with the MT.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Just want to stress one small point. My OV came with 2.2.1 and 10.1 flash. My Triumph came with 2.2.2 and I dl and installed 10.3 player. What is the 10.3 vs 10.1 flash difference? It renders much more TV websites!

OV balked, would not install 10.3 flash

bun

Quote Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
    Just want to stress one small point. My OV came with 2.2.1 and 10.1 flash. My Triumph came with 2.2.2 and I dl and installed 10.3 player. What is the 10.3 vs 10.1 flash difference? It renders much more TV websites!

OV balked, would not install 10.3 flash

bun
    only 10.1 was compiled for the OVs ARMv6 cpu. and that was a rare, rare find.

10.3 has not been compiled for a ARMv6 cpu, and if it has, it hasnt been found yet. the one on the market is specifically for different ARM cpus.

Adobe has NO plans to support ARMv6, so of course the optimus V and other phones using a ARMv6 based cpu will get left out of flash.

we were lucky to get just a taste of it.
    Thanked by: