is virgin mobile going to open up more 3g

aj888

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So when i first got the OV i got around 600kps and now its down to 250kps, i can use the internet for web pages but what good is 250KPS that sucks. Does anyone think VM will change this anytime soon? Just got the Triumph and this sucks.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So when i first got the OV i got around 600kps and now its down to 250kps, i can use the internet for web pages but what good is 250KPS that sucks. Does anyone think VM will change this anytime soon? Just got the Triumph and this sucks.

virgin piggybacks off Sprints network.

however many sprint users are connected to the cell tower nearest you get top priority. the left over bandwidth goes to virgin and boost, and whoever may be roaming on that tower at that time.

this is why sometimes youll get low speeds with good signal

and why generally at night and early early morning you see better speeds. less users on as a whole, which means less sprint users, which means more bandwidth for the rest of us.

I actually get a solid 1.5MB/s connection on my OV pretty much all the time, which is equal to low/mid range DSL internet. suits me fine for netflix and youtube and games. i know "3G" can do better, but the speeds im getting actually support all the things i use the phone for. so i have no complaints.

oh, but at night and late like 2,3 or 4AM on weekdays. i get 3+ MB/s speeds. really nice.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
virgin piggybacks off Sprints network.

however many sprint users are connected to the cell tower nearest you get top priority. the left over bandwidth goes to virgin and boost, and whoever may be roaming on that tower at that time.

this is why sometimes youll get low speeds with good signal

and why generally at night and early early morning you see better speeds. less users on as a whole, which means less sprint users, which means more bandwidth for the rest of us.

I actually get a solid 1.5MB/s connection on my OV pretty much all the time, which is equal to low/mid range DSL internet. suits me fine for netflix and youtube and games. i know "3G" can do better, but the speeds im getting actually support all the things i use the phone for. so i have no complaints.

oh, but at night and late like 2,3 or 4AM on weekdays. i get 3+ MB/s speeds. really nice.

sure your not on WIFII have never heard of anyone even coming close to 3+ speeds any time of the day,i am very skeptical to these claims,no less a consistent 1.5,.the data on virgin mobile/sprint is redirected out of a server in Kansas, what are your pings.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My speeds are never over 500k and are usually closer to the 250k side of the range regardless of time of day. I live in NY suburbs (NW of NYC). I find it hard to believe people are getting some of the speeds they claim, bu maybe different parts of the country just have different dynamics regarding usage and tower dispursement.

maxpower49

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
My speeds are never over 500k and are usually closer to the 250k side of the range regardless of time of day. I live in NY suburbs (NW of NYC). I find it hard to believe people are getting some of the speeds they claim, bu maybe different parts of the country just have different dynamics regarding usage and tower dispursement.

That sounds pretty close to the speed I get too. Sometimes it drops down to the 100k range.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
sure your not on WIFII have never heard of anyone even coming close to 3+ speeds any time of the day,i am very skeptical to these claims,no less a consistent 1.5,.the data on virgin mobile/sprint is redirected out of a server in Kansas, what are your pings.

wifi is home internet broadcast locally, of course its going to be as fast as whatever my dsl or cable speed is. reporting a wifi speed test as my 3G speed test is just a lie.

I convinced 4 friends to get OVs and they are in my area and get similar speeds. only when we go to a known low service area do our speeds drop dramatically.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
wifi is home internet broadcast locally, of course its going to be as fast as whatever my dsl or cable speed is. reporting a wifi speed test as my 3G speed test is just a lie.

I convinced 4 friends to get OVs and they are in my area and get similar speeds. only when we go to a known low service area do our speeds drop dramatically.
still skeptical,to these speeds but whatever,i just find it odd you are the only one i have seen on any android forum getting speeds this consistent,on a slow proxied network.i have stood within eye sight of towers and only got 1.4 mbps once,and where i live we are 3rd in the US for broadband speeds.

Ccody47

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
When I'm in the Orlando area I'll push 2mbps fairly consistently, but only 200-1500kbps in my city, depending on what part of town I'm in.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
it wasnt always this nice. first month was filled with outages and speeds were crap. virgin service has only been getting more reliable and consistant since Ive owned this phone, and others who had virgin for awhile have been saying the same. (friends, family, people around me)

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
For those experienced rom developers and just rom users, have you seen a phone get better reception after a firmware update from the manufacturer or a rom/kernel update from one of the developers that actually improve signal and 3G data strength?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For those experienced rom developers and just rom users, have you seen a phone get better reception after a firmware update from the manufacturer or a rom/kernel update from one of the developers that actually improve signal and 3G data strength?

the phone and its hardware is going to receive the 3G signal the same regardless of the ROM installed.

unless you flash a PRL, which in some cases tells the phone to connect to a tower closer to you, rather than a farther one. which would "feel" like an improved signal strength.

cloest analogy I can think of is if you have a 24x CD drive in your PC, and you upgrade from windows XP to Windows 7. its still a 24X CD drive thats going to read CDs at a maximum speed of 24x.

MarkMcCoskey

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I updated my PRL to Sprints 01115 just last night. Haven't played with it enough to know if it really does the trick. I hope so because I've had a couple dropped calls where I live here. Just want consistency and clear reception.

bigvandal

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
more 3g? they are taking 3g away from us. Throttling starting in October down to Edge speeds after 2 gigs...SMH and to think I switched to VM for the Unlimited 3G

aj888

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So for like a week now in the morning and late at night my phone has been over 1mb download but in the afternoon its slow but like 300-400kb witch isnt that bad. but i can live with it i guess for now. I live in fresno, ca anything else get this in fresno?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane