Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Data Speeds AFTER Switching to the Sprint PRL

Alright, I'm at the part to use the QPST Roaming list editor, but I am so lost. Would anyone be able to help me over Skype or teamviewer quickly? I have the COM port and msl I just can't follow his instructions.

Thanks very much, this file download DOES work! Depending on what tower my phone finds, speeds are hit & miss w/Ookla Speed Test. But I think it's providing a better PRL list than stock for my Motorola Triumph. Tried a variety of servers at varying distances. I did see several very high speeds just over 1100 kbs, then next test would be very slow, ~100 kbs. Some uploads blew the downloads away by 100's of kb. Weird. Have to test and play more! Thank you!

I went thru it myself, here's what I did. Yes it may be a bit confusing, but once you figure it out it does work.

I used AnyCut to get a Diagnostic Access shortcut, otherwise MUCH harder trying to catch the phone in a specific boot state to perform this
    Get AnyCut from the Market
    In AnyCut, select New Shortcut, then Activity, scroll way down and choose Select COM Port Mode, click OK
    You now have an Android-icon shortcut by that name on your home screen
    Click that icon, select the Diag radio button, and it will close out
    Connect the phone via USB
    Open Device Manager on the PC and open the Ports drop-down menu
    You should see a Diagnostics over Android listing, note it's Port # (mine's on Port 10)
    Close Device Manager
    Open QPST Configuration app on the PC
    Click the Add New Port button
    Choose the Port you found from the window on the left, click OK
    Click on the port text in the window to select it, then in the top menu bar above the tabs click Start Clients, then choose Service Programming from the dropdown menu
    A new Service Programming window will open, your port listing should be be selected, click OK
    The window will change and you should see the listing in the top bar, and it should show it as online, meaning you are connected to the phone
    Extract your new PRL file from it's .zip file where can find it on the PC desktop
    Be sure you have a copy of the stock OEM PRL if there is a problem
    Find the Roam tab, about the 7th one from the left, click it
    In the lower left of this window, click Browse beneath the File box in the Preferred Roaming section
    Browse to the extracted PRL file and select it
    Click the Write To Phone button just below the Browse button, to write the file to your phone
    If successful, your phone will reboot itself
    Exit out of all the QPST program windows
    When you phone reboots, you need to switch back from Diag to Mass Storage mode
    Just open the shortcut you created earlier and select the Mass Storage radio button and you're done!

Hope that makes it a bit easier, after I figured it out worked well for me. Just a lot of steps we're not familiar with!

life is pretty awesome when you find out the link is on megaupload ._____. try using dropbox

ROM
    MIUI 1.11.25/Speedemon5.6

To those people that are saying they have no increase in speeds.... you can try 100 different prls but if there's only one sprint tower in your town it won't make any difference on virgin mobile, if the sprint coverage in your area is garbage, most of the sprint users in your area are probably roaming on Verizon. Virgin mobile doesn't allow roaming whatsoever so you cannot use the Verizon roaming entries in the prl to your advantage. So basically you're stuck with whatever minimal coverage you can achieve unless you can get within range of an alternate sprint tower which may or may not have better data speeds.It sucks, but just be happy your bill isn't what it would be with any one of the big 3....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12