Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about switching from Optimus to Triumph

I have an Optimus V. The thing I hate the most is the keyboard. I don't send many texts . When I use the keyboard I have to very carefully position my finger so it will touch the correct key.

Also, when I turn the phone to "landscape" mode, often the keyboard won't switch.

Often the phone seems to simply stop working. I have to pull out the battery and put it in again. I've sent the phone in for repair, no one seems to be able (or willing ) to solve the problem so I am wary of buying another LG electronics device.

What do you like about the Triumph?

What do you think needs improvement?

Most important , what is your experience with their support?

Thank you.

Default Re: Thinking about switching from Optimus to Triumph

nooo go to LG optimus Elite if anything

I'll be getting the Triumph. I want the Evo, but the Triumph is free soo......

A Triumph is actually a rebranded Huawei. It is built in China, using some Chinese components. It's not a true Motorola phone.

That said, spec wise, the Triumph would be a nice upgrade from a OV. However, QC issues MAY arise. I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying it has happened.

People say that the antenna and GPS sensor can be spotty. But IDK how true that is.

I fully empathize with your situation though, my OV can get wonky and it drives me nuts. I've accepted to use a stock phone that doesn't do much but the basics, in return for stability.

By the way, you are not using the Swype keyboard, are you? :/

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I had the v and I still have the q I sold the v when I hot the triumph and I love it its a lot bigger has flash player and really easy to root and put custom roms I recommend it that's me though some ppl are gonna have something bad to say about everything

Sent from my WX435 using Tapatalk 2

The Truimph is a mess stay far away,unless you find one for 25 dollars,the stock rom is complete garbage,and if you Root and install a custom ROM you will have to give up one of the advertised features,there also will not be any updates for the Truimph.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not sure what this feature is that was just mentioned but yeah. There are quality control issues with quite a few of them-however if you find one that functions well, then you've got a great android. I love mine. It's had a few small issues but. The only one that stuck around after rooting and installing CM7.2 was the back button occasionally not working (usually is fixed by tapping the home "button" and tapping back a few times.

This phone is amazing for rooting and customizing-and honestly has the best specs so far in Vm's lineup. That said, if you're not interested in rooting, then it might not be a great match, although I will note if you've never rooted before, this is a great device to learn with.

As an aside, if you get the triumph, splurge on phone insurance. Because of quality control issues and the like, you will want to hear covered. It also is smart to hold onto your V in case it breaks so you're connected till you get your new phone :-)

Sent from my Triumph using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Kale Blossom View Post
    Not sure what this feature is that was just mentioned but yeah. There are quality control issues with quite a few of them-however if you find one that functions well, then you've got a great android. I love mine. It's had a few small issues but. The only one that stuck around after rooting and installing CM7.2 was the back button occasionally not working (usually is fixed by tapping the home "button" and tapping back a few times.

This phone is amazing for rooting and customizing-and honestly has the best specs so far in Vm's lineup. That said, if you're not interested in rooting, then it might not be a great match, although I will note if you've never rooted before, this is a great device to learn with.

As an aside, if you get the triumph, splurge on phone insurance. Because of quality control issues and the like, you will want to hear covered. It also is smart to hold onto your V in case it breaks so you're connected till you get your new phone :-)

HDMI in all custom non froyo,and camera in a lot of them,i am seeing a lot of posts about charging port failures,as for specs the HTC Evo coming to VM will put the truimph to rest once and for all.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I had the Triumph last year and hated it, especially since I bought it right when it came out and was so disappointing. Terrible call quality for me. I took it back and got my Optimus V. Not nearly as powerful but it just works.

Sent from my Dual-booting HP Touchpad and Tapatalk 2

Jeremiah 29:11-13/John 3:16

The evo is good if your on a wimax covered area if not your gonna have the same 3 g speed and if you really want pay for a plan and get one of the big boys ppl are going to cry about that too sometimes its the user Therese are phones that work on wifi with or without a plan not $2000
    Computers and if your gonna run from it send it my way but if you like it get it everything mixed reviews

Quote Originally Posted by triumphme View Post
    The evo is good if your on a wimax covered area if not your gonna have the same 3 g speed and if you really want pay for a plan and get one of the big boys ppl are going to cry about that too sometimes its the user Therese are phones that work on wifi with or without a plan not $2000
    Computers and if your gonna run from it send it my way but if you like it get it everything mixed reviews

I never really had issues with VM service,it was the phones that were my reasons for switching to Verizon contract,the Evo regardless to what network you have it on will be better then any android phone that VM has now,the Truimph is a re branded pos with hardware issues,a poor stock rom,like i said it is not worth what they are charging for it,and i would not recommend it to anyone.

Well 1 thing I can say is look at the boards the triumph has the most post and great devs the easiest phone to root and if he could get the evo I'm sure this would never came up yea I'm getting an evo and I'm keeping my triumph the pros outweigh the cons imo

Sent from my WX435 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by lou61166 View Post
    HDMI in all custom non froyo,and camera in a lot of them,i am seeing a lot of posts about charging port failures,as for specs the HTC Evo coming to VM will put the truimph to rest once and for all.
    Oh, yeah, if hdmi is big for a user, then custom roms are not the way to go, but the camera works fine in 7.2. Cm9 is where the camera isn't working.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7

My experiences with the phones go as follows -

Optimus V - I had this phone for about a year and a half, no real problems at all. It was a solid reliable phone, It was modded though, I was running CM7, overclocked to 806, and had skins installed, ect. The phone was decked out, and it was a nice phone after I installed CM7, the phone on stock operating system and no mods or performance tweaks is somewhat horrible. I mean it's not bad, I've had worst, like the Intercept (please.. I don't want to be reminded). Anyway if you are looking for a cheap and good android phone, go with the optimus V and just install CM7 on it, it will completely change the way the phone acts and feels.

Motorola Triumph - This was a phone I was a little concerned about getting because I heard all of the bad rumors about it to, come to find out some of them were actually true, I have CM7 also installed on this phone, and it has a modded touchscreen driver, but yet the phone still has touchscreen problems. Sometimes I have to touch the screen lock, or any part of the screen multiple times for it to even recognized it was touched, I also noticed that sometimes my keyboard will try to hit other keys when I hit a certain one, it's VERY annoying, and will only go away when I back out of whatever I'm doing that is using the keyboard, and it has done it on the web browser and on my text messaging app(s). I haven't noticed any issues with GPS because I don't really use it to much, but Google Maps seems to work good, like i said I just haven't noticed. Bluetooth works fine, so does WiFi.

Also, I don't know if it is because I have CM7 installed, but sometimes when the screen turns off and I turn it back on, it is in a shade of white, like someone is placing a white tint over the entire screen and it makes it look like . Anyway turning the screen right back off and then on again clears up the problem immediatly.

Even with the problems that I have had with this "Motorola" phone, it is still a good phone, is it worth $275 (What I paid at the time), no way. I would take it back in a heartbeat and wait for the price to drop, which it did, I believe it is somewhere around 225, and that is a price I can agree with.

Hope the input helped!
    My Google+ Account: http://plus.ly/justinsterling
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyandroid View Post
    nooo go to LG optimus Elite if anything
    The elite will kick arse once rooted and romd. Though nfc will be tricky. It's pretty good out of the box.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrw View Post
    The elite will kick arse once rooted and romd. Though nfc will be tricky. It's pretty good out of the box.

Yeah, you are right about that. I'm very skeptical that any custom ROMs will have a solid NFC

i would just get the HTC EVO V instead of the TRIUMPH
    its about 20 bucks more.

im trying to get rid of mines n than get the EVO V

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Yeah, you are right about that. I'm very skeptical that any custom ROMs will have a solid NFC

Yeah maybe an option to restrict root access to only nfc apps. Who knows surely not I

OP posted and ran. Smh lol ;P

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

How's the internal space? I have sd-ext on my Optimus. will Triumph need one too?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by puma1988 View Post
    i would just get the HTC EVO V instead of the TRIUMPH
    its about 20 bucks more.

im trying to get rid of mines n than get the EVO V
    The triumph is only $229 where I'm at

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Day one with the Triumph, running AOKP, and its definitely snappier. Wish I had a camera, but that's my only downside to switching from Optimus V so far.

EDIT: Just found out gannon has stopped development of aokp. Crap.

Last edited by youarepoop; 06-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.

I just switched to the triumph from the optimus and I'm loving it so far. I don't have a cam at the moment but no biggy. The only downside is battery life I've done every thing I can and I still only get 2-3 hours out of it with constant use, plus Ubuntu soon to release the phone OS I wanted to get a phone above 1 GHz and was pleased to find I could over clock up to 2 GHz which basically destroyed my battery. Down 20% in 15 mins. Overall I would recommend this too a friend as long as they keep there charger on hand

Phone specs:
    1GHz stock (2 GHz oc)
    512mb ram
    1gb internal storage
    4.1in display 720p (beautiful btw)
    Hdmi out
    5MP back camera VGA front facing camera

Other things:
    Since the back battery compartment is metal there is better hear transfer meaning a cooler phone

If your going to buy this phone goto radio shack I got mine for 199 (215 plus tax)

Also they do not have otter boxes for this phone

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Also, try turning off gps, 3gdata and bluetooth if it's on. Those things are like gremlins to my Android. I have a toggle on my phone so if I'm gonna use data I can turn 3g on really fast. And back off when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by inyourface09 View Post
    I just switched to the triumph from the optimus and I'm loving it so far. I don't have a cam at the moment but no biggy. The only downside is battery life I've done every thing I can and I still only get 2-3 hours out of it with constant use, plus Ubuntu soon to release the phone OS I wanted to get a phone above 1 GHz and was pleased to find I could over clock up to 2 GHz which basically destroyed my battery. Down 20% in 15 mins. Overall I would recommend this too a friend as long as they keep there charger on hand

Phone specs:
    1GHz stock (2 GHz oc)
    512mb ram
    1gb internal storage
    4.1in display 720p (beautiful btw)
    Hdmi out
    5MP back camera VGA front facing camera

Other things:
    Since the back battery compartment is metal there is better hear transfer meaning a cooler phone

If your going to buy this phone goto radio shack I got mine for 199 (215 plus tax)

Also they do not have otter boxes for this phone

They are still getting 200 dollars for this re branded piece of .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast